Digging Machines

MYFACEISAUSOME

What I am talking about will not be able to get resources. It would look like a modern tunnel bore.

In Duel, I would say that it would dig a large tunnel that 15 people could dig out but slower. It would be overseen by only a couple people but would be expensive to keep running, with fuel needed and breakdowns common. It would either destroy all the drops or ruin all materials that get mined by it.

This could be used to drill a tunnel through a mountain without having 15 people digging at once. With this it would mine at the same speed, but those 10 people could rotate through and do other things while it is digging.

I do not think that this would be used for mining because if you only have a couple people, it would be quicker to just mine a small tunnel, so the only application this could be used for would be digging the main branches of a mine. Even then it would only be worth it if you use the tunnel often because the machine would be heavy and hard to get out of the tunnel once you got it in.

Welcome to the forums!

I like this idea and do hope that they add some equipment to supplement mining by hand. The only think I don't like about this idea is that it would destroy all the materials. While that may be a good thing in order to prevent automation abuse, it doesn't make much sense for materials to just be destroyed and therefore would probably not be used very much, and it would be a huge shame for such interesting mechanics to be developed if they were never used. So I think the machine should procure the materials as it digs but be balanced so that it still requires a large amount of oversight to function so that the need for manpower is not overshadowed by the power of automation. 

Doesn't seem like it would be worth it, if it is expensive and breaks down often, might be easier to just get 15 people together to do it by hand. And if it wasn't expensive and hard, it would be abused by people boring out huge areas just because they can.

Doesn't seem like it would be worth it, if it is expensive and breaks down often, might be easier to just get 15 people together to do it by hand. And if it wasn't expensive and hard, it would be abused by people boring out huge areas just because they can.

I thought the same thing. I have no idea of the description. Then it would be wiser to take 15 people to gather the resources anyway and drill the hole in chord. It is probably more beneficial to hire people instead of building a machine that is expensive and slower and requires a lot of maintenance.

Or am I missing something?

I thought the same thing. I have no idea of the description. Then it would be wiser to take 15 people to gather the resources anyway and drill the hole in chord. It is probably more beneficial to hire people instead of building a machine that is expensive and slower and requires a lot of maintenance.

Or am I missing something?

You aren't missing anything but I do think it should collect resources or at least drop resources because when people bore tunnels, the dirt doesn't just vanish, it needs to be hauled away so the same should apply to in-game stuff as well. Maybe you can build a collector unit that is attached to the back of the bore to collect resources it passes over. Kinda like a tree shredder. The wood is shredded and shot into a big truck where it is collected and dumped.

And certain materials take longer to bore through as well as you need improved drill heads. Better drill heads, let's say 'diamond' drills quickly through dirt but slower through 'iron,' while 'iron' drill heads can't drill through 'iron' but can through 'rock' and dirt. As you find more difficult resources your drill needs to be upgraded and improved.

I dig this topic!

---------

I believe that drills should "degrade" metals and resources (assuming there is high-quality, low-quality- pristine, ect) so that mining by hand is more efficient.

I think that just outright destroying materials would be a bit too much.

You aren't missing anything but I do think it should collect resources or at least drop resources because when people bore tunnels, the dirt doesn't just vanish, it needs to be hauled away so the same should apply to in-game stuff as well. Maybe you can build a collector unit that is attached to the back of the bore to collect resources it passes over. Kinda like a tree shredder. The wood is shredded and shot into a big truck where it is collected and dumped.

And certain materials take longer to bore through as well as you need improved drill heads. Better drill heads, let's say 'diamond' drills quickly through dirt but slower through 'iron,' while 'iron' drill heads can't drill through 'iron' but can through 'rock' and dirt. As you find more difficult resources your drill needs to be upgraded and improved.

I just go from what we have now. My post is based on this video.

If you look at the holes, these are damn big. That's why I do not really know how it could look with 3 or 4 people already.

I just go from what we have now. My post is based on this video.

If you look at the holes, these are damn big. That's why I do not really know how it could look with 3 or 4 people already.

Good point, we may just have to wait on that one and see what it is like during Alpha