Terrain mining and storage.

It's kind of hard to tell from some of the earlier dev/demo videos, because of the lack of textures on materials. 

In the Gamespot interview, it looks like JC is dropping piles of dirt on the space station, however that could also be copper without texture...

This gif would suggest that you can collect dirt and other "useless" materials; here, the player is collecting "ForestRaw". I cannot imagine that all mined materials are not kept. After all, this would mean that destroying the dirt below you would essentially be destroying matter; what happens if you want to fill in the hole again? Go mine some iron and put it in the dirt?

As for trees and plants, this is not yet known. It will be possible to clear trees out but whether you can collect wood from them is a different question, one which there is currently no answer to.

This gif would suggest that you can collect dirt and other "useless" materials; here, the player is collecting "ForestRaw". I cannot imagine that all mined materials are not kept. After all, this would mean that destroying the dirt below you would essentially be destroying matter; what happens if you want to fill in the hole again? Go mine some iron and put it in the dirt?

As for trees and plants, this is not yet known. It will be possible to clear trees out but whether you can collect wood from them is a different question, one which there is currently no answer to.

What he said but didn't jc mention in some video chopping wood? Can't find it atm though but iirc it should be some interview of some youtuber :)

Build a large fleet of Spruce Geese and fly them through space

Using wood would result in catastrophic failure.

Wood has moisture, resulting in violent ruptures. Which is bad.

Wood would also flake off a little, which you can understand that its bad.

Anddd since nobody actually sent wood into space (astronaut erections, anyone?), there could be a lot of other problems.

But I doubt Novaquark would implement this feature, so... Go ahead and use wood!

Using wood would result in catastrophic failure.

Wood has moisture, resulting in violent ruptures. Which is bad.

Wood would also flake off a little, which you can understand that its bad.

Anddd since nobody actually sent wood into space (astronaut erections, anyone?), there could be a lot of other problems.

But I doubt Novaquark would implement this feature, so... Go ahead and use wood!

Anything is possible. If it is something they implement then I will pioneer a new era of space travel and build a ship out of wood. If I were to reinforce the wood and coat it in water resistant paint, maybe a nice dark brown, then finish it off by using only the finest of water resistant wood glue, I can build it to be water resistant so it won't rupture. Using this paint would also solve the problem with flaking as water resistant paint has a soft, rubbery cover that stays on top of the wood instead of being absorbed in like normal paint. Solved all my problems ;)  http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-spruce-goose

Anything is possible. If it is something they implement then I will pioneer a new era of space travel and build a ship out of wood. If I were to reinforce the wood and coat it in water resistant paint, maybe a nice dark brown, then finish it off by using only the finest of water resistant wood glue, I can build it to be water resistant so it won't rupture. Using this paint would also solve the problem with flaking as water resistant paint has a soft, rubbery cover that stays on top of the wood instead of being absorbed in like normal paint. Solved all my problems ;)  http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-spruce-goose

I'm just going to sit down and cry at that statement.

Put shields around the wooden space and viola, no problem.

Now, back to the original subject regarding mining and storage.  Will the same tool be used to collect minerals, plants, food (will food be used in this game?), and liquids (like water)?  How much can be mined and stored in your personal inventory?  Can the material be moved and placed or stacked elsewhere?

Food is not being considered till after release (perhaps it will come in the obligatory farming expansion). I would be surprised if the nanoformer is not used to collect all the resources, and to date we have not seen anything else. There are images of storage containers for liquids, gasses and solids, so presumably the collected goods will be able to be placed into these storages. It currently looks like similar resources stack, though what the limits will be in players inventory and in the containers is unknown.

If we go off of the Dev diary videos it might be 999999 for a single stack of an item in our inventory. This might also have to be upgraded so we can store such numbers. I guess another thought is how large is one single item? Is a piece of iron the smallest cube we can create in game?

If we go off of the Dev diary videos it might be 999999 for a single stack of an item in our inventory. This might also have to be upgraded so we can store such numbers. I guess another thought is how large is one single item? Is a piece of iron the smallest cube we can create in game?

The dev diary examples are infinite so it shows as 999,999 but in-game it won't be anywhere near that. It will probably store in stacks with maximums for each stack, and I think they are factoring in weight too so you can't hold 1 million dirt and walk as fast as everyone else. For creating the "cubes" it will be voxels that really don't seem to have a defined size yet. We have asked about it, km, mm, m, but nothing too concrete yet. Resources will be used for building parts for ships and buildings, not decorating. 

The dev diary examples are infinite so it shows as 999,999 but in-game it won't be anywhere near that. It will probably store in stacks with maximums for each stack, and I think they are factoring in weight too so you can't hold 1 million dirt and walk as fast as everyone else. For creating the "cubes" it will be voxels that really don't seem to have a defined size yet. We have asked about it, km, mm, m, but nothing too concrete yet. Resources will be used for building parts for ships and buildings, not decorating. 

Based on the lore they have given out, storage is based on a matter compression system, so there may not be "stacking" like is found in other games. Instead there may be more of a volume limit on the total amount of material that one can carry. 

Instead there may be more of a volume limit on the total amount of material that one can carry.

Yes, in the GDC Q&A it was revealed that there will be a mass/volume/weight limit to a players inventory. To prevent players acting like unlimited storage containers.

Transporting materials from site to site will involve some thinking ahead to make it safe, efficient and profitable.

And thats a really good thing in my opinion.

Yes, in the GDC Q&A it was revealed that there will be a mass/volume/weight limit to a players inventory. To prevent players acting like unlimited storage containers.

So what about build ships in a base or shipyard? Will there be an a local storage unit that you can place materials and pull from it when building? Or will it be "I ran out of materials again. Back to the storage to get more."?

So what about build ships in a base or shipyard? Will there be an a local storage unit that you can place materials and pull from it when building? Or will it be "I ran out of materials again. Back to the storage to get more."?

There will be containers.

So you could fill up a container and then haul it to where ever you need it. Add acces for your friends and it will serve as your storage for whatever project you are on at the time.

Everything will have limits that make sense. If you are mining, put your ore in a container then move it to a market, stuff like that. :)

Transporting materials from site to site will involve some thinking ahead to make it safe, efficient and profitable.

There will be a lot of planning and testing sizes of transport ships. They have always talked about weight limits and realistic physics so planning out the ships and trying to make the most efficient and largest transport ships will be an arduous task.

They have talked about close range material usage. This would basically mean that if you had a pouch bot following you to increase your storage by using the bot as a quick, mobile backpack, if within a certain range, you can pull from the bot without having to approach it and walk back and forth between building site and storage unit

They have talked about close range material usage. This would basically mean that if you had a pouch bot following you to increase your storage by using the bot as a quick, mobile backpack, if within a certain range, you can pull from the bot without having to approach it and walk back and forth between building site and storage unit

Good to know!