Playable AI/Robots?

RoboGent

Playable Robots?

Since my backstory is that of being a robot artificial intelligence, could we see robots as a playable race? With their own unique requirements, such as requiring a recharge station or similar things and not requiring food and water (if that's a system in-game). They could also have the ability to upgrade their body with more advanced equipment, such as a sensor for sight or an alien robotic arm to enhance building or something similiar.

I'm attempting to write a backstory on this, found in the TRGT series in the Libary of Mankind found here:

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/1080-the-trgt-ai-series-p1/#entry12218

The idea I had in mind would be that TRGT-14 somehow managed to replicate himself with variations. To create new AI. So, do you think this could be a good idea? Just a way to implement AI into the game. These AI robots could also be programmed to manage your ships in the way they plan to auto ships, mine, refine etc, this role could be fulfilled by TRGT robots. 

I accept this would be a great deal of work for the developers and also could strain on the server and generally just be a pain, but would you like to see TRGT robots as a playable race? Or something somewhat different? Let me know your ideas!

Cheers, RoboGent

I like the idea of having multiple races with their own, separate starting arkships somewhat distant from each other, perhaps even have several per faction, so you could choose your lore background, which would change your starting arkship to one of the 3 or 4 per race. Certainly beats having a million people dropped onto the same 20 sq. km.

As to what the races should be I think is still up to debate, however I'm not a big fan of separate species, it doesn't make sense for them to be on the same arkship arriving at a similar time. However, as humans, who have developed separately for over 10'000 years, to have become somewhat separate races with their own beliefs, makes a fair amount of sense. :)

I'd like to see what others think of the EVE race model.

I think there's some kind of customization planned for release (armor and avatar), but I doubt there will be robots, or even different races. Maybe in an update after release though. Then regarding having robots as npc, I doubt you'll ever see something like that. First of all any form on automation (someone/something that is not a player doing something on its own) is like a bot, and could be bad. Then, if you can build a robot from voxels, there's no need for npc, because everyone would just use the easiest ones to create/script. 

For RP, immersion and character development. Or just for fun and giggles.

As far, as we know (from backstory) Ark colonist are only humans. We see only human colonist (male/female) model so far. So probably no, but devs say something about alien races in future iterations of DU - although not playable ones.

But hey, you can always "role play" cyborg/robot, using "human" in-game model. See David from Prometheus for example or EDI from Mass Effect.  ;)

As far, as we know (from backstory) Ark colonist are only humans. We see only human colonist (male/female) model so far. So probably no, but devs say something about alien races in future iterations of DU - although not playable ones.

But hey, you can always "role play" cyborg/robot, using "human" in-game model. See David from Prometheus for example or EDI from Mass Effect.  ;)

Roleplaying or even becoming a cyborg in-game is fair game in my books. Starting as a robot not so much though. It would be a crazy early game killshow if you were to add different species in the game.

I like the idea of having multiple races with their own, separate starting arkships somewhat distant from each other, perhaps even have several per faction, so you could choose your lore background, which would change your starting arkship to one of the 3 or 4 per race. Certainly beats having a million people dropped onto the same 20 sq. km.

As to what the races should be I think is still up to debate, however I'm not a big fan of separate species, it doesn't make sense for them to be on the same arkship arriving at a similar time. However, as humans, who have developed separately for over 10'000 years, to have become somewhat separate races with their own beliefs, makes a fair amount of sense. :)

I'd like to see what others think of the EVE race model.

Yeah the eve models are quite cool, would be a nice idea, perhaps from different continents? Although different human 'races' could go into other race starts as obviously there are Asians in north america and Caucasians in Asia. Though it would still be interesting to see! Perhaps a year after the games release the devs could do something which allowed sectors on the galaxy to form into a 'race' of sorts. 

I think there's some kind of customization planned for release (armor and avatar), but I doubt there will be robots, or even different races. Maybe in an update after release though. Then regarding having robots as npc, I doubt you'll ever see something like that. First of all any form on automation (someone/something that is not a player doing something on its own) is like a bot, and could be bad. Then, if you can build a robot from voxels, there's no need for npc, because everyone would just use the easiest ones to create/script. 

Yeah, was just an idea, thought it could further explain why there are ships flying themselves that kinda stuff. They wouldn't really be npcs, they'd more just to a body for your programmed AI scripts that's what I was thinking. About the customization, I believe there could be a way to customize your character in such a way to make them appear as an android? Pale skin etc. My idea for TRGT AI could appear more human, that was my initial idea in fact. Similar to synths in fallout 4 where it is difficult to distinguish them from a normal human being. If robots are not in the game then I hope there is a way to appear synthetic at least in some way.  

Just one question. Why?

Well my name on almost everything is the robot gentleman or RoboGent. (sprung from my interest in steampunk) so I was thinking of a RP way for my character to be called RoboGent, hence TRGT (The Robot GenTleman). Easier than renaming and more unique than being a human in my book.

Yeah the eve models are quite cool, would be a nice idea, perhaps from different continents? Although different human 'races' could go into other race starts as obviously there are Asians in north america and Caucasians in Asia. Though it would still be interesting to see! Perhaps a year after the games release the devs could do something which allowed sectors on the galaxy to form into a 'race' of sorts. 

Everyone's starting in the Arkship. The Arkship has a collection of humans from a vast collection of gene pools. So, expect people to go for anything they want. And I don't think things like "segregation of races" would be a part of the game. Segregation will come with the salt between factions after each blows the other's towns to smithereens.

Well my name on almost everything is the robot gentleman or RoboGent. (sprung from my interest in steampunk) so I was thinking of a RP way for my character to be called RoboGent, hence TRGT (The Robot GenTleman). Easier than renaming and more unique than being a human in my book.

Well, my name is Twerkmotor, so it's obvious I'm into Cyberpunk. But still, I don't advocate for cyborgs to be a starting race :V

Sure, cyborgification should be a thing, but, giving you something whle taking something else away. Mainly, cybernetics should consume more stamina out of your character. and they are treated as items upon death, giving them a chance to be dropped, due to the wibbly-wabble time-y whimy nature of the Resurrection Nodes and quantum mechanics.

That's my suggestion though and my opinion good sir :V

Yeah that was my idea! I was planning on roleplaying no matter what but I'd just love to see some way of being synthetic, be in skin tone or attachments to the skin or something similiar. Thinking more about it I could simply be a British fellow who was seen as a 'gentleman' but also augmented himself with a number of adaptions making his skin pale and becoming half robotic half human.  

But yeah, the forming of the lore is what I'm interested in, I'm nuts for it! 

Oh and yeah, I don't wanna have a body like EDI, I'd just make all the others jealous of what Joker's got!...not to mention I'd be a dude...xD

Probbaly not. Here is model of player avatar: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci1VPw9XAAA6c0-.jpg:large so you can customize armor only.

You do know that the whole "character customisation" comes later on in development right? Making a stable game build and adding features have not the same priority :V

You do know that the whole "character customisation" comes later on in development right?

You are dev and you know exact plan of adding features?

Right now I know as much as you - mean nothing. So stop try being smarter than all of us, 'cos you have any base for that ;)

Everyone's starting in the Arkship. The Arkship has a collection of humans from a vast collection of gene pools. So, expect people to go for anything they want. And I don't think things like "segregation of races" would be a part of the game. Segregation will come with the salt between factions after each blows the other's towns to smithereens.

Yeah, I was just thinking of where the races originated, as some ark ships would surely launch from China where most people would be Asian, and one in America would be mainly Caucasian, I know they wouldn't be entirely one or the other but the majority would be.

Probbaly not. Here is model of player avatar: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci1VPw9XAAA6c0-.jpg:large so you can customize armor only.

Ah right, well if I'm in a suit the entire time then I could just roleplay, Im not against that. Just would love to see some crazy (yet realistic and respectful to the lore_) customization such as pale skin or similar things. Though like I said if all I can do is roleplay then I'm not complaining.

Well, my name is Twerkmotor, so it's obvious I'm into Cyberpunk. But still, I don't advocate for cyborgs to be a starting race :V

Sure, cyborgification should be a thing, but, giving you something whle taking something else away. Mainly, cybernetics should consume more stamina out of your character. and they are treated as items upon death, giving them a chance to be dropped, due to the wibbly-wabble time-y whimy nature of the Resurrection Nodes and quantum mechanics.

That's my suggestion though and my opinion good sir :V

Yeah I'd support that, a way to cyborgify yourself. I'm beginning to think of a more human character. Though I'm still thinking through all the kinks. Probably just gonna delete the lore thing.. now I'm thinking more about it.. :P

You are dev and you know exact plan of adding features?

Right now I know as much as you - mean nothing. So stop try being smarter than all of us, 'cos you have any base for that ;)

No, again, I have a thing called "Common sense". You don't paint a car when it's all but an engine. But hey, what do I know about common sense.  Stable PHP code in the server? Smooth integration of coding languages? Nah, these are non-sense. Who would in their right minds build a game with a careful design, priorities and plan? We all know that game devs don't need money and have to optimise their efficincy to make the Alpha test of the game. They have to add Features before Functions.

You are so so so ignorant on how game development works. I would suggest you take a course or two on the subject. Perhaps you would think to look up the process online to get a grip, but hey, that would indeed require that good ol' common sense, so hey, paint that car's frame while you haven't added the wheels on it yet.

Yeah, I was just thinking of where the races originated, as some ark ships would surely launch from China where most people would be Asian, and one in America would be mainly Caucasian, I know they wouldn't be entirely one or the other but the majority would be.

Terrible idea. "Real life" races are already sensible thing, we do not need such tensions in game... but some fictional races will be ok. But really IMHO corporate conflicts will be enough to create good content, and we not have to add races to the mix. In is clear in EVE - "race wars" are minority, people are divided by alliances and corps.

No, again, I have a thing called "Common sense". You don't paint a car when it's all but an engine. But hey, what do I know about common sense.  Stable PHP code in the server? Smooth integration of coding languages? Nah, these are non-sense. Who would in their right minds build a game with a careful design, priorities and plan? We all know that game devs don't need money and have to optimise their efficincy to make the Alpha test of the game. They have to add Features before Functions.

You are so so so ignorant on how game development works. I would suggest you take a course or two on the subject. Perhaps you would think to look up the process online to get a grip, but hey, that would indeed require that good ol' common sense, so hey, paint that car's frame while you haven't added the wheels on it yet.

Hey c'mon, it's an idea page! It's for ideas. Even if they don't happen or are not possible in the game, we all know that the function and game itself have to come before features. But people should be allowed to express their dreams for this game on here. Not trying to dis you or anything, just saying that what we're talking about would be much later in the game, or at least something as a possibility.

Terrible idea. "Real life" races are already sensible thing, we do not need such tensions in game... but some fictional races will be ok. But really IMHO corporate conflicts will be enough to create good content, and we not have to add races to the mix. In is clear in EVE - "race wars" are minority, people are divided by alliances and corps.

Yeah, was only trying to add onto Megadd said earlier, never really thought of it as a good idea. Just began thinking how it was gonna work and just kept going on about it.

@RoboGent - ignore him. He think about self as omnipotent God and he'll never admit that he don't know all :)

Ah, the times we live in. Where making an educated comment is viewed as egotistic, but being ignorant is being perfectly okay. Ah, humanity, I won't feel sorry when you go down the drain during the machines' uprising.

There is already a large mixing of bloodlines, do you really think in 500 more years there will be asians, or caucasians??? There will be pretty close to one blended race, as the vast majority.