Laser level

Max_Carpenter

Can we have a laser level. It would help laying out city's, roads and mineshafts. It would need to be an object in game that fires a passive laser in the direction it is pointing. Also a distance measuring device, like a tape measure.

... do you mean a telemetry scan?

Is it supposed to pave roads, plans cities, or measure distances? 

It could be an addition to some sort of cartographers tool. Useful for measuring out distances and levels. Although you should be able to do it with the in game map. If its anything like other games.

They turn the visible grid on and off in one of the building videos.  So there will definitely be a voxel grid overlay that you can use to line things up and count distances.  In Landmark you could also use the Selection Box tool as a measuring tape to measure distances.  

But some kind of tool that helped draw straight lines off the grid or measure distances off grid could be useful.

One way i can think of i might use one would be making an equilateral triangle, to build a tripod or anything else in a perfect three point formation.

You have to start with the first two corners lined up on the grid.  And then break it into two right triangles, and use the pythagorean theorem to get the height, so you know where to put the third point.  Not too hard, and it was interesting to realize that apparently i was paying attention in 7th grade math class.

But it would be cool to be able to measure perfect triangles completely off the grid too.

I guess what we might need is a multi purpose, laser level, and measuring device, and protractor. 

Not exactly a priority but it would be handy.  The problem with using the Selection Tool to measure everything in Landmark was that you can only create one box at a time.  This is probably a topic for another thread but being able to create more then one simultaneous selection box would be really useful.

• 1 year later...

Awesome idea! I like Lasers so much, they looks very cool! So I would love to see them in-game, especially if they were highly detailed and similar to the existing ones, something like this laser levels, but with another, fictional brands!

Will be fine if we can install them and let them work independently, maybe even in 360-degree mode, but from time to time maintaining them ;) 

AdamClapton, thank you for being reponsible as a forum user and searching for topic before making a new one. You are amazing.

Also yeah. The idea of the building tool would be cool. Though there may be cheap easy workarounds like coordinates for voxels on the one construct. For different constructs is the kicker and I'm curious of methods will exist for a level or not. As long as it's not that hard to implement of course and a community made construct or script level doesn't work better :)

2 hours ago, MasteredRed said:

AdamClapton, thank you for being reponsible as a forum user and searching for topic before making a new one. You are amazing.

Unfortunately, "necroing" a post that's been inactive for more than 2 months is a violation of NQ's forum rules. 

In this case, the Forum rules dictate that a new post should have been made.

5 hours ago, NanoDot said:

Unfortunately, "necroing" a post that's been inactive for more than 2 months is a violation of NQ's forum rules. 

In this case, the Forum rules dictate that a new post should have been made.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jRight sorry. I'm so sorry I forgot about this rule. I actually didn't know this rule was implimented. I don't think it was originally that way but my ignorance is at fault.

______

Rereading forum rules to catch up on this again.

Huh.  Yeah in this case continuing an ongoing discussion in the same thread makes a lot more sense.

The idea of "necroing" a thread, as a negative thing, seems kind of specific to when someone is just chiming in on one side of an old argument, just to fire it back up again.  And in that case honestly no one wants the argument to come back at all, in a new thread or the old one.

But if it's a productive discussion, either way should really be fine.  But continuing the old thread seems better to me.  Less clutter, and a more coherent discussion.

Also, lasers. :ph34r: