Lets talk sound (created an example soundscape - 1:22)

Megaddd

Not exactly a game mechanic, so I suppose this thread goes in this forum.

Click here to listen to my 4 hours of work. Imagine a 3-engine atmospheric hovercraft 10 meters ahead of you.

We've been teased screenshots, models, textures and music, but we haven't really been teased interesting sound effects (outside of cockpit_enter sound and footsteps_grass.ogg). This leaves me cause for concern, that one of the most important tools in immersion, sound, could be taking a bit of a back-seat in Dual Universe. (Unigene2 defaults? Good enough!  :unsure:)

Coming back to my little sci-fi jet engine type of thing, I know it's not amazing by any standards, personally it sounds like something from a low-budget sci-fi short, but the sound itself is not the point, I'd like to emphasize what happens to the sound as the 'craft' moves up and then away from the listener. Most open-world sandbox games do not handle sound coming from extreme distances very well, or at all.(*cough*spaceengineers*cough*)

I hope Dual Universe has plans to make a proper soundscape on planets, where you can hear what you can see, as it is a key factor in immersing the player in the first few hours of game-play on a planet.

Seriously. Am I the only one who really wants to hear a Ker-Thunk coming from across the valley, several kilometers, when someone's construct explodes? Or a deep rumbling in the sky when a heavier aircraft flies across the sky, a kilometer or two away. Mmmmm... oops, better stop drooling.

Right there with you, though I wouldn't go as far as speculating sound design is taking a back seat just because we haven't heard anything. A bit too early to tell really.

That said, I do hope they decide to put some good effort in to sound design. I'd love to hear a sonic boom watching ships leave the planet from a distance. :D

Hey, I really liked that sound you made! A lot of love and time went into making it, I can tell~

Also I think what you are getting at might be that the nuance of sounds can really bring a game to life.

Like when you hear a helicopter coming in from far away, you may panic or be relieved who knows.

Hearing a jet overhead just letting you know someones out there.

I agree that we could use sounds like this to help the immersion and making it feel alive.

I wonder if the server could incorporate it since it'll have the.. dilation from distance, or maybe that makes it more possible?