Which biomes do you prefer for planets? Poll

Ardour

Which type of planet/biome do you prefer?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of planet/biome do you prefer?

• Tropical and warm. Islands all over.
    • Snowy ice planet. With drifted snow and mountains.
    • Desert hot planet. Drifted sand dunes and extreme hot temps.
    • Forest covered planets. Large trees and grassy terrain.
    • Plains planet. With rolling green hills and cliffsides that have water falls.
    • Mountain terrain. Lakes, Rivers and Snowy peaks and high altitude conditions.
    • Lava fire planets/biomes. With volcanoes and lava flowing throughout the planet/biome.
    • Dusty plain planets/biomes. Contains flat land with dust.
    • Water planets/biomes(most likely not included in-game). Infinite oceans that cover the entire planet.
    • Well developed planets.(Giant cities) With an extreme amount of buildings that makes the planet look like it doesn't have a biome.
    • Jungle biome. With many creatures and trees. Detailed plants.
    • Other - Feel free to explain in comments

I like the idea of a forested world with grassy plains, but done to an extreme level. If you could imagine forests where the trees are twice the size of Earth's giant redwoods, climbing above the cloud cover and with a tremendous girth to support dwellings within the trunk.

Now imagine these forests are like islands of habitation surrounded by vast oceans of grassland where the grass grows 4 metres high and hidden within this ocean are creatures that have no love for man.

If anyone has ever read Hyperion by Dan Simmons you will know what i'm getting at.

A lot of people want variety biomes which would make sense but if you look at real planets in our solar system, most planets have a single "biome." Earth is really the only planet with a wide variety of biomes.

Taking this into account, I think it would be really cool to have planets specifically for certain biomes but also mixed biome planets here and there. Let's say you have a solar system with 15 planets. If you were to have 2-3 planets with 4+ biomes, 5-6 planets with 2-4 biomes, and the rest with single biomes, you could create a balanced yet realistic solar system. You could also have solar systems with specific parameters that cause more planets to be gaseous or more to be mineral rich which would be a cool environment to fly around in. As the game progresses, ships will become bigger, faster, and stronger allowing them to fly further and explore more planets. If all planets had a lot of biomes, it may become frustrating to stop at every planet only to mine 1,000 "iron" units, but if you need a lot of "iron," you are more likely to find multiple "iron" rich planets in a solar system with a sun with a solar radius larger than 540,000 km vs our sun's size of 432,000 km which causes more gaseous and mixed biome planets.

I want a tidally locked planet with Desert on the side facing the local sun, a temperate ring at the terminator, and frozen icescape on the side facing out to space.

I don't think there should be single biome worlds... except maybe at the extremes.  Like Desert or Ice or Water planet.  If a planet can have more temperate biomes like plains, forest, and the like... then it should also have deserts and iced over poles... 

In Star Wars there's single biome planets... and a lot of scifi actually... but it isn't very realistic.  Mars has different biomes... cold desert and perma frost like areas and iced over poles...  In the Star Wars expanded universe books and games before it all got dumped... they actually explained why so many planets have a single biome.  Habitable worlds were rare... and in ancient times... long before humans became prevalent in the galaxy a race of beings used technology to seed worlds with life and maintain good climates.  Overtime some have malfunctioned... turning Tatooine into a desert instead of the jungle it's supposed to be... and making the trees of Kashyyk grow to monstrous proportions. 

If this game is to have single biome worlds... which is just plain easier to code... then I'd like to see some sort of recognition that it's odd... and some sort of lore hints as to why it's that way.  

• 9 months later...

I presumed biome types of singular type is due to the Procedural Generation use at present and how the algorithms work? Also in conjunction with the reduced size of planets: The size is a function of playability partly and I suppose rendering balance as opposed to full-blown realism as per our own Earth's size?

On that basis I took the OP's questionnaire at face value and picked the biome that I like best: Mountains, lakes, plains (with Alpine gradient in snow green etc) and ideally like Alioth with some forests too. BIOPHILIA plays a big role in this I think. Also the thrill of 3D sense of gradient and depth to planets as 3D large entities which also look more interesting from space with such gradient variety is the other reason why I chose this one.

That said I'll feel less mortified if a single biome such as "Mars-like" gets trashed, it'll feel as if it's right to exploit the planet for all it has got, no doubt, in resource extraction.

5 hours ago, DirectorRose said:

If you were to crash that Space Station the Devs made into a planet somehow, how much damage do you think it would do?

None, as voxel to voxel damage (=ramming) won't be a thing in DU to prevent ppl from building cheap burner ships and killing others with ease

51459.jpg                                             I would love for DU to have a water world planet but that is probably not going to happen anytime soon are maybe not at all ? So my close second solution would be a tropical island world planet that would be covered with lots of water and lots of islands of many sizes !     =)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 12:50 AM, Lethys said:

None, as voxel to voxel damage (=ramming) won't be a thing in DU to prevent ppl from building cheap burner ships and killing others with ease

I mean i suppose that's alright takes away an annoying tactic yes, but also some of the realism though thats probably not a priority to the devs. Such a shame i would've loved to see how big of a crater i could make for the hell of it.