Goodbye Asheron's Call

yamamushi

The servers shut down for the last time a few hours ago.

:(

It's really sad how WB/Turbine are treating their customers after all these years. The players were promised that if something like this ever happened, that the source code would be released to the public, but that never happened and all communication with the players ceased over the last few months, going so far as to shut down the forums. Even the facebook page was removed tonight.

I feel really bad for many of the older players of AC1 (people in their 60s, 70s and 80s even) who don't really have anywhere else to go now. They've been playing AC1 since it released and now WB just shut the door on them and wouldn't even give them the time of day. 

Personally, I think going so far as to shut down the facebook page even just comes across as needlessly punitive. 

This reminds me of this video, which took place at the beginning of the year.

The video's uploader says they are trying to find a replacement game for their grandfather - a tall order for a game he's devoted so much time to. When the person filming asks if he thinks he'll be able to find something similar to play, he pauses and then replies with a smile: "No, everything now looks like crap compared to this game."

Edit:
I should watch the video till the end... :D But anyway, here's the source for the 74 years old player.
Edited by SirJohn85

I always give respe t to old players like that. Just shows wbat a diverse community games are. Like even in the fairly "new" SWTOR theres some old 60 year olds in my guild that know more about the game and lore and mechanics than even the original "founders".

Im expecting but hoping against hope that this doesnt happen to the original EverQuest.

I always give respe t to old players like that. Just shows wbat a diverse community games are. Like even in the fairly "new" SWTOR theres some old 60 year olds in my guild that know more about the game and lore and mechanics than even the original "founders".

Im expecting but hoping against hope that this doesnt happen to the original EverQuest.

Don't you put that evil on us.

Unfortunately if the recent actions by Daybreak are any indication, EverQuest may be on its last breath right now :-/ 

The only thing it means is that we might have some more players migrating to DU if they do close down EQ as well :)

It is a shame that they won't release the source code to the public now. At least with Ultima Online they're not bothered about the player run servers anymore so people can happily do what they want with them in their own little communities for forever and a day :)

The only thing it means is that we might have some more players migrating to DU if they do close down EQ as well :)

It is a shame that they won't release the source code to the public now. At least with Ultima Online they're not bothered about the player run servers anymore so people can happily do what they want with them in their own little communities for forever and a day :)

There's Project 1999 which was given permission to continue operating by the company prior to its acquisition, it doesn't seem like much has changed and that will continue to go on without legal threats. So we should have a playable Everquest for some years to come regardless of who is hosting it. 

IIRC The reason P99 can do it and SWGEmu gets into trouble is because P99 is apparently written entirely by their devs, as opposed to SWGEmu's source which apparently was based on some stolen code. 

Yeah UO was the same, the first unofficial server was ripped from the UO offline demo that a group discovered.

The legal battles continued, but after a while when the next set of servers came out which was all written from scratch and open source so there wasn't anything they could do about them to be honest.

I still have a small place in my heart for UO ????

Oh by the way:

Blizzard uses server shutdown for WoW marketing. :D

As for Julien, the 74 years old grandfather who’s played Asheron’s Call since launch, I’ve been informed by Blizzard that he and his granddaughters have been hooked up with copies of World of Warcraft, a 12-year-old MMO, to keep him playing now that AC is no more.

http://kotaku.com/the-final-moments-of-asherons-call-1791833779