Textured Voxel Structure Creation System?

FangeHaux

From what I've seen in the videos of the game, the voxel system seems a bit limited. I'm not sure what other cool features the devs intend for this system but might I add a few suggestions:

• User created structures should be able to be textured.
  • -They should also be able to be fine tuned into creating complex polygons.
  • Voxel structures should also have the ability to be given functionality, such as designing your own thrusters or what not.

Keep in mind that the footage they have shown is all pre-alpha. There will probably be a system for changing the color of voxels (or at least some of them), and the system the already have in place does allow for some pretty intricate voxel manipulations (on the scale of several centimeters) with curves and slopes. 

I would hope that they eventually allow for some substantial element customization, but chances are that that will come later down the line.

From what I've seen in the videos of the game, the voxel system seems a bit limited. I'm not sure what other cool features the devs intend for this system but might I add a few suggestions:

• Voxel structures should also have the ability to be given functionality, such as designing your own thrusters or what not.

Hi there and welcome to the forum,

- User created textures: too much load when 560000 people upload their textures

- explain further what you mean but with the smoothing tool you can already do pretty amazing stuff

- if that would be allowed, people would just build completely op things and consequences couldn't be foreseen even with some limitations to it.

I don't know about user-created textures, but I'd like to see voxel brushes with the ability to customize them like a brush in photoshop. That would give people plenty of room for creativity with texturing.

I think we'll see a lot of really detailed constructions regardless of what tools they give us, simply from people getting the engine to do things NQ didn't anticipate. You can see a lot of that in Everquest Landmark, there's plenty of things people got that voxel engine to do:

They mentioned here'll be maybe a certain number of preset textures to choose from. You can't upload any because they want to mantain the graphic style and don't want legitimately to check for penis and other wierd stuff for each single image.

you can manipulate voxels already, and they will probably add more ways to do it in the future.

you shouldnt be able to give voxels functionality because it would unbalance and break the game. We have elements for that, and those will be scriptable and customizable up to a certain point.

1. Would be cool.

2. Would be buggy as hell

3. Yes please

- if that would be allowed, people would just build completely op things and consequences couldn't be foreseen even with some limitations to it.

It would be really easy to balance. just limit the energy one voxel can take before overloading ect.

1. Would be cool.

3. Yes please

It would be really easy to balance. just limit the energy one voxel can take before overloading ect.

YEAH RIGHT LOL

so did you program any sweet single shard sandbox mmo's lately? As a tabletop game designer, I can say from experience that balance is incredibly hard. 

Perfect balance is boring (as a creator, then every decision would actually be irrelevant), and asymmetrical balance has to be weighed very carefully or else the metagame is solved too easily (as soon as a certain type of weapon blueprint is the best, then there is no longer any real choice once again). In the realm of video games where balance is no longer just a matter of dictating the rules, it gets even harder. The human part of the equation becomes a part of balance, and then you get skill threshold dependent options. Plenty of AAA studios struggle with balancing FIXED GAME ELEMENTS little lone an engine for creating customized ones.

1. Would be cool.

3. Yes please

As I said: you could implement that with limitations, which would kill the op argument to some extent, but then again you can't possibly see what players will come up with, despite those limits. When fixed elements are in place, you can foresee to some degree what will be possible. There will be people who will abuse even predefined engines and use them in a way NQ never anticipated. No need there to make it even harder to balance a game

As I said: you could implement that with limitations, which would kill the op argument to some extent, but then again you can't possibly see what players will come up with, despite those limits. When fixed elements are in place, you can foresee to some degree what will be possible. There will be people who will abuse even predefined engines and use them in a way NQ never anticipated. No need there to make it even harder to balance a game

In the internet age it's not a problem to update the game to solve balance issues. Basically every other PvP multiplayer game does this.

We have some voxel based vechnile PVP game currently without outstanding balance issues like Robocraft, Avorion, Galactic Junk Legaue.

Meta in a game can shift quickly. If somebody designs an engine which is super powerful then everybody will start working on an engine that is good against the first one.

Another way to balance is to define material cost according to the output (Damage of a gun or Speed of an engine)

In the internet age it's not a problem to update the game to solve balance issues. Basically every other PvP multiplayer game does this.

We have some voxel based vechnile PVP game currently without outstanding balance issues like Robocraft, Avorion, Galactic Junk Legaue.

Meta in a game can shift quickly. If somebody designs an engine which is super powerful then everybody will start working on an engine that is good against the first one.

Another way to balance is to define material cost according to the output (Damage of a gun or Speed of an engine)

Well, not Meta per se, but doctrines.

If Faction A builds a fleet based around massive long range lasers, they could simply wreck the enemy fleets they come across by sheer verlapping damage fields when firing their lasers - if DU devs decide to implement lasers as the guided explosions they are.

So, every plebe organisation, starts using the same doctrine of long distance laser combat.

So, Faction A now, uses the current doctrine the permiates the playerbase against them, so they deploy ceramic steel plated ships, that can take a LOT of heating from lasers (since lasers are thermal damage theoretically) and start using missiles, thus destroying even more people.

Like in any game out there, there are pioneers and then there are plebes who immitate them.

And balance is something relevant. A long distance gun, has a long recharge time per shot and a slow tracking speed (the degrees per second of the turret as it turns).

A laser dreadnaught in EVE can hit 10000 dps. If it shoots at a moving interceptor frigate it will miss 99,99999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.

Why? Because geometry and math != not part of what hollywood lies to people about.

The reason the Death Star had pilots and TIE-fighters, was because the Death Star is a one giant boomstick, and it needs smaller ships to tackle smaller ships - which I guess George Lucas must have been adamant against it, since it's too realistic to be his idea.

As of the OP.

We need Pre-made elements, before the devs can finalise certain things to give us - if it was ever to be added - voxel-made weaponry, by essentially making a "laster turret" construct, by adding barrels, to it, energy relays, a capacitor or two and the such.

Sure, it would be awesome, but the Devs needs to figure out damage models, formulas and all that stuff, before giving us such a degree of customisation.

Would it make the game very interesting? Yes. Would it make certain weapon models pretty much superior to others (as the style of cobmat DU goes for is not something that enables anything to be overpowered) ? Yes, certainly, but it also gives BIRTH to even wider varieties of doctrine for ships and a person could fine tune a construct to be PRECISELY as strong as they want, instead of having to wor with premade parts from the Devs.