Nomadic Life in Dual Universe

No. You just have certain coordinates in regards to the construct's Core Unit...

Ah I see where the confusion came in.

Anchoring in Eve for POS and such, gotcha. ;) I've played Eve on and off over the years but I'm far from being an expert.

But in DU if you have a big ship and I land on it (not in it) and you accelerate wouldnt I piggyback? I thought I would.

That's a good point ... offensive anchoring ...

I'm not sure how they'd solve that.

If a smaller ship lands on a larger one, the larger construct will be the controlling one. This could maybe only work with friendly ships, built by you or your org maybe as to have no room for trolling others. This could allow an org to have a bunch of player with ships and one ship slightly larger. Then they all connect into one massive transformer ship, that would be nuts!

If a smaller ship lands on a larger one, the larger construct will be the controlling one. This could maybe only work with friendly ships, built by you or your org maybe as to have no room for trolling others. This could allow an org to have a bunch of player with ships and one ship slightly larger. Then they all connect into one massive transformer ship, that would be nuts!

Or maybe anchoring would have to be allowed using the RDMS.

Ah I see where the confusion came in.

Anchoring in Eve for POS and such, gotcha. ;) I've played Eve on and off over the years but I'm far from being an expert.

But in DU if you have a big ship and I land on it (not in it) and you accelerate wouldnt I piggyback? I thought I would.

Technically? Maybe. Depends. See, planets and ships are the same in-engine, according to JC Baille. So, if you were to connect to a ship, then yeah, you COULD techically pull a Han Solo on the Kessel Run, by piggybacking a larger carrier ship.

Howver, a planet is sorta anchored in place (meaning no matter how many engines you put on it, it won't budge), so, if you were to switch a Dynamic Core Unit to a Static Core Unit, then it would probably, cause some unforeseen events unfolding.

It remains to be seen.

so, if you were to switch a Dynamic Core Unit to a Static Core Unit, then it would probably, cause some unforeseen events unfolding.

It remains to be seen.

Like the end of the world type of unforeseen events? :P

But yes I guess it remains to be seen.

Thats the cool thing about DU, there is room for a lot of cool and unsuspected interactions. (I hope)

Technically? Maybe. Depends. See, planets and ships are the same in-engine, according to JC Baille. So, if you were to connect to a ship, then yeah, you COULD techically pull a Han Solo on the Kessel Run, by piggybacking a larger carrier ship.

Howver, a planet is sorta anchored in place (meaning no matter how many engines you put on it, it won't budge), so, if you were to switch a Dynamic Core Unit to a Static Core Unit, then it would probably, cause some unforeseen events unfolding.

It remains to be seen.

Would this throw off the mechanics of the ship though. Imagine a very large ship flying through space. You decide to piggyback on that large ship and land. Would the weight and location of where your landed effect the overall flight of the ship? If you landed on the right wing would the ship start to turn right or barrel roll clockwise?

Would this throw off the mechanics of the ship though. Imagine a very large ship flying through space. You decide to piggyback on that large ship and land. Would the weight and location of where your landed effect the overall flight of the ship? If you landed on the right wing would the ship start to turn right or barrel roll clockwise?

I guess in theory it would?

Weight distribution seems to be a factor in flight behaviour.

So much stuff to find out...

Would depend if you're in atmosphere (and gravity) or space .... :)

It might be fair to assume that DU will be using a simplified mockery of gravity and physics in the game itself, since managing so many players all at once will already be a big strain. I'll be testing the heck out of buggy flight mechanics come alpha though!

I've long had an interest in nomadic life, have read a fair number of books on nomads throughout history and even stayed in Mongolia for a month in '93. The most interesting fact about Mongolia for me was that no one owns the land. People can rent a patch of land to pitch their ger(Mongolian felt tent) on if they live in a township, but outside of that no one owns property per se. Among the Mongolians that still follow their herds what they own is seasonal and has to do with rights to pasture and water. In winter this also applies to shelter where extra hay is stored for the herds.

Here on earth nomads basically follow their herds to pasturage dependent on season and geography. This results in cyclical patterns of movement as the pasture is depleted and the herds move on to other pasturage. Nomads may alter these routes when other locales prove ideal for an upcoming season, but by and large these patterns take on a proprietary nature for a group of nomads. The routes of pasturage were often the cause of wars between nomadic peoples as droughts altered the geography. 

The sedentary peoples were often viewed with contempt by nomads. For one, they ate 'grass' like the herds due to farming for their food. Then they took up so much of the land as to deny space to move. In fact, sedentary people put claim on the land itself. Sedentary people were like vast herds of humans, stuck in the same pasture year round. A nomad found this extremely disgusting, even distressing to conceive. It was inhuman to consider such a life of filth and misery.

Now, how would this be translated into Dual Universe? I can see space-faring nomads here primarily because of the voxel-creation process. In Dual Universe, if you think of it you may very well be able to build it. Even ISS Wandering Mountain is on to this idea with a mobile station of sorts. Space-faring nomads will need 'pasturage' that can likely be found in asteroid belts, rather than planets, for easy access. Planets will have their uses for resources but asteroid belts will be far more accessible and less compromising in terms of combat(and maybe the gravity well will be a concern too). Asteroid belts may also vary in terms of what sort of ores and resources can be harvested. Maybe gas giants can be 'skimmed' for compounds in volume by nomadic skimmerships.

With space-faring nomads there is no limit other than finding resources for whatever you need. You can go where you please without concern of a logistics tether. There are many ways to envision such a group. One can consider the mothership idea that ISS Wandering Mountain aspires to but a series of smaller clan-ships might provide more flexibility as well as more tactical and operational options.

Although being a Nomad will probably be doable, I do not think that it will be a main way of life, besides maybe for miners, pirates, or mini-clans focused around that. I think that it will probably be easier to settle and start a colony then set up a massive (or maybe small ship for yourself) ship for being a nomad. Also, there is the danger that your ships runs out of energy, fuel, or you move too far out of a certain territory and the pirates get you.

With all that in mind though, it will still probably be an awesome way of life.