WAY TO GO NOVAQUARK!!! (thrusters & physics model)

Ripper

I just wanted to compliment NovaQuark for the work they've done in the physics model.

I just watched JCs latest DevDiary video.  It left me speechless.   It demonstrated a basic hovercraft, and each engine applying newtonian thrust to the ship.  This is EXACTLY what the community is looking for.  This type of thrust, will be a challenge for builders and scripters, but in the end, its exactly whats needed.

I'd also like to see a demo of the same type of physics in space without gravity.

But the video confirms that the devs are "shooting" for a newtonian physics model. 

Here's the DevDiary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUTyiMjjf7w&feature=youtu.be

Yes, I was so happy to see that. All the previous videos made the vessels seem kind of magic and fake. That fighter design they did in earlier videos would never get off the ground in reality.

It makes me wonder what their plans are for in atmosphere vessels are going to be, are we going to have wing elements to generate lift like planes or are we going to need to add massive thrusters to hover in the air?

Obviously as anyone who has played ksp knows realistic engines and gravity are harsh as hell, I can except magic science fiction thrusters that can produce huge forces to make the game fun but it would be cool if we could save money and fuel by having wing elements for producing lift.

Also is there going to be drag in space? Or a speed Limit?

Commence the people who cannot build planes will constantly crash!

Novaquark will make us all cry due to our beautiful designs fail!

Kuritho died due to an explosion.

Kuritho has respawned.

Kuritho died due to an explosion.

Kuritho has respawned.

Kuritho killed CommanderLouiz by explosion.

CommanderLouiz respawned.

CommanderLouiz killed Kuritho by explosion.

Kuritho respawned.

Yeah the physics of the simulation was pretty awesome especially since it was planetary and dealing with gravity. A vectoring system in space would be simple if they have a planetary hovercraft down.

I can imagine someone (me) writting the code to manage thrust incorrectly and spinning around in circles.

I can also see this used offensively. Someone on the inside of an enemy org sneaks into the code of say one of their troop transports. Set a trigger. Most likely time after activation to dramatically change thrust inputs and screw them over. (If you can set a trigger in lua)

I can imagine someone (me) writting the code to manage thrust incorrectly and spinning around in circles.

I can also see this used offensively. Someone on the inside of an enemy org sneaks into the code of say one of their troop transports. Set a trigger. Most likely time after activation to dramatically change thrust inputs and screw them over. (If you can set a trigger in lua)

If the devs have planned for fall damage on players towards a planet, by simply making the engine say "if target reaches critical velocity, then they die if stopped", then a fast spinning construct (emulating critical velocity of gravity on its centrifugal forces), could possibly build mass and could almso possibly be a topspin of doom if unleashed on a horde of players.

This, could also mean, that later on, we could build voxel helicopters, by spinning blades that emulate a lift, as their "center of mass" is lifted above the vessel / helicopter. But this would require multi-part constructs voxel-wise.

For the moment, let's just hope the physics the devs develop won't be left unused in a possible - hopefully - collision damage model, regardless of how it's implemented (and always, without having it be a voxel-to-voxel collisoon model, but a mass differential and impulse based).

That gif makes me drool.

Just imagine a racing circuit. Where builders try to optimize weight, thrust, and maneuverability.

Just think of having collision mechanics so people have Death Races. Emergent Running Man Gameplay.