Measurement standard

SirJohn85

Is it known how large the blocks are?

I mean the ones shown in this video:

I know, for example, that in Space Engineers large block is 2.5 meters, small block is 0.5 meters and the astronaut / enginneer is about 1.85m

And in DU?

- Block size?

- Astronaut size?

- ???

It would be helpful for 3d models to find the right propotion.

I have no idea if they have stated what size voxels will be, like the grid size, but given that they are both intelligent and not American, I cannot imagine they wouldn't be using the metric system.

In any case, why would that help with making 3D models? It's not like you can import things into the game. As long as you use the same unit of measurement throughout your model, it's proportions should be identical, whether you use inches or decimeters or Planck lengths or parsecs. Although I suppose if you wanted the astronaut size for the sake of sizing a ship, you could base it off of the size of the cockpit.

I remember NQ stating that the smallest block size is 25 cm. 

EDIT: Found my source, this early DevDiary video

About astronaut size... If we assume DU does the familiar first-person thing of positioning the camera on about height of player model's chest/neck instead of true eye height, astronaut should be roughly 1,7-1,9 m tall since the 6 small blocks piled 1,5 m high are on the "eye" level. 

Also, WIP character customisation video shows there is around 10 cm height difference between male and female player model. 

Edited by ForlornFoe

I have no idea if they have stated what size voxels will be, like the grid size, but given that they are both intelligent and not American, I cannot imagine they wouldn't be using the metric system.

In any case, why would that help with making 3D models? It's not like you can import things into the game. As long as you use the same unit of measurement throughout your model, it's proportions should be identical, whether you use inches or decimeters or Planck lengths or parsecs. Although I suppose if you wanted the astronaut size for the sake of sizing a ship, you could base it off of the size of the cockpit.

I was originally a trained draftsman (building construction) before I switched to computer science.

It does not matter now whether it is game industry, building construction or surveying. There are many ways to get something there and none of it is wrong. I am writing here a process which is common in different industries.

1. Concept phase
Before you build something in real life, you make a plan. A conceptual drawing is the alpha and omega. It is the same for games. Why do you see drawings on the walls? So that people can get a picture. Since conceptual drawings are a lengthy thing, I have taken a finished picture and prepared it accordingly. (I do not want to present my work for DU) I can take the blocks as a guide for the survey. Here it can vary according to given industry. It could already be textured or not.

Here the link:
Example: 1 block = 1 meter

2. Sketch-based modeling
These conceptual drawings are created in relation to the propotion. (Possible things: Up, down, left, right (if different from left), front, rear). I've chosen a video for you so you can see the technique behind it. The first two minutes are worth mentioning.

3. Texturing
Last but not least: After the model has been finished, you can color the corresponding objects as you want.

Even if you don't know the exact specifications of things, you can make some assumptions based on standard human heights and go from there. All the models you make at this phase will only be concepts, so it really doesn't matter if they don't translate perfectly to the game.

Even if you don't know the exact specifications of things, you can make some assumptions based on standard human heights and go from there. All the models you make at this phase will only be concepts, so it really doesn't matter if they don't translate perfectly to the game.

Definitely.

I can not set up my detailed drawing board yet. As you have already written, you try to imagine with your eyes, how big something can be. If it went after that, I would have to know how big every single element / construct is. In addition, not all tools are known.

But as soon as you are in the game and you can try yourself, many questions will evaporate. The first draft can certainly already be created.

This was a while back so things may have changed but Nyzaltar was asked this in the Voxel Tools thread here.  

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/14-voxel-tools-pre-alpha-game-design/page-1#entry131

Hi Kiklix!

You're totally right. The smaller the voxels are, the more performance issues you have.

We had to make some tough choices, and we think we have come to a good compromise:

- Voxels on any planet will have a size around 100 centimeters.

- Constructs made by players will be composed with 25 centimeters Voxels permitting better precision.

Granted, this is still bigger than Landmark, but in exchange you have mobile constructs   ;)

And for the planets, well, you will have some up to 100 km radius (which means a bit more than 125 000 km2 !)