Laptop

Hades

Not even sure if you guys will be able to help me out, but figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

Little background:

I want to purchase a laptop (I already have a desktop) that can handle anything I throw at it.  I travel a lot and being without my computer is getting quite old.  Anywho, the laptop I am looking at comes with three different screen options 1080p, 1440p, and 4k.  Ideally, I would get the 1440p option, however, the website I wish to purchase it from only has the 4k option.  Which is strange, as with their 5% off coupon it reaches $100 lower than the 1440p option on another site lol.  

The problem:

When 1440p and 4k first came out there were issues with scaling to the screen size in Windows (especially for windows).  This would cause severe aesthetic issues in various games and lead to undesireable gameplay.  I'm not sure if it matters, but the screensize is 17.3 inches in this case.

Quick search found the issue on a monitor from 2 years ago:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-secret-problem-with-4k-display-scaling/

The question:
Is this problem still prevalent on laptops?  Is it an issue that's easy to fix if it IS a problem?  This would be my first time getting a screen over 1080p.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:

I've also heard that 4k is worthless on such a small screen.  Which makes a lot of sense, but being that it's cheaper than the alternative... should I still go with it?

So, this is a simple problem.

GO FOR 4K MAN. JUST DO IT. A HIGHER SCREEN RES IS ALWAYS BETTER.

None of the statements I just typed are true. Let's go into why you want 1440p.

Assuming you want 1440p for it's resolution, you need to consider why this choice over 1080p. If you really just want it due to your preference, then go ahead with 1440p. However, if you are picking 1440p just for it's higher resolution, there isn't much reason to stay with 1440p over 4k if you are just wanting high resolution.

So, down to the actual discussion. 1440p is a larger size compared to a 1080p monitor, offering a much higher space to work with, but so is 4k. Let me put down some percentages for you.

Let's assume a 1080p monitor, or 1080x1920 is 100%. That would mean a 1440p monitor is 177% of a 1080p monitor, offering a 77% increase from a 1080p. 

However, 4k is much more dramatic. A 4k monitor is 300% of a 1080p monitor, meaning it is a very high increase at 200%! A 4k monitor is also at a 25% increase from a 1440p monitor! That is a dramatic increase.

Now, to address another one of your concerns about scaling, as it can be a problem with some games. Most games however do not have that problem. If you are playing on modern games, you shouldn't see much of a problem at all, as these issues are commonly addressed with developers becoming increasingly aware of the resolution increase in monitors. 

With that being said, your final concern with 4k being worthless on a small screen is interesting. As the human eye has only so much of a resolution that it can cover, but I assure you that a 4k screen is still an increase. It is more noticeable on a big monitor, but it isn't worthless as has been described.

One problem may be that content over streaming services, such as Netflix, Hulu, or some others may not support 4k, however that issue is being address and since you want to handle almost anything, I'm judging that as not a primary concern. 

In short, go ahead for 4k if you view it as worthwhile. Not all content will support it, but if you want this laptop to last a while, handle things smoother, and just be a better package, then 4k wouldn't be a problem. 

I'll throw in my extra opinion and say that 4K is still pretty new but has been around for long enough. 2 years is a long time in the tech world, and 4K is VERY popular nowadays, so I would think that an issue from two years ago for a newish technology would not still be present now when that technology is so much bigger.

I have questions to cover the overall picture:

- Would you be so nice to write us the laptop model?

- Is an external monitor connected to this laptop?

- Since the model is still unknown, is the screen matte or glossy?

- Scale the programs you're using? (W10 does this well, but not everything)

- What is needed for 4k? Bluerays, YouTube movies or picture editing? (For YouTube you need a very good internet connection)

- Do you need it privately or for business?

- What exactly do you want to do with it?

Further questions could follow.

Yeah this conversation is fairly pointless without some system specs. Whats the point in getting a 4k laptop if the GPU can't fully handle it above medium settings?

I'd rather pick a 1080p laptop which can run everything on ultra, rather than a 4k that can only manage medium. (With the same physical screen size)

Clevo p870dm3. I wasn't asking about whether or not the computer could utilize 4K. I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any problems with 4K that does not deal with performance. If by chance I can't run a game on 4K, I want to make sure scaling won't be an issue is all.

I've already looked at benchmarks for the laptop, and I am impressed

Considering the 4K is cheaper than the 1440p that is available on another site... I think I'm inclined to get the 4K.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help

Wait a moment, if I see it right, then this laptop has 2 dedicated graphics cards in SLI mode.

Really recommendable is SLI only at higher resolutions (> 2560x1440), since such performances CAN (but need not) be needed. In smaller resolutions, the disadvantages are predominant.

Have you ever heard of microstutters?

Also consider that some work is coming to you:

- much work through driver optimization and creating profiles for individual games

- Depends on the driver manufacturer, who adjusts the support (the further development) of SLI / CF profiles of older cards / games in new drivers (period: approx. 2 years)

I've dealt with crossfire before, I imagine (hope?) SLI will be similar. Crossfire was pretty easy to handle, if SLI is as well I should hopefully be fine. This was a long time ago though lol. Haven't had to deal with two cards in a long time due to the fact that one card is almost always sufficient for 1080p.

I DID have problems with microstutters, which was REALLY annoying. But I was under the impression that was a thing of the past?

I actually think I will get a single 1070 for now, and then when the next generation comes out I will see if clevo will sell a second 1070 for a discount. A 1070 should hopefully be sufficient for most games, at least for now.

Still not entirely sure if I want to go with 1080s or 1070s. Figured I would have less thermal problems with the 70s

I've dealt with crossfire before, I imagine (hope?) SLI will be similar. Crossfire was pretty easy to handle, if SLI is as well I should hopefully be fine. This was a long time ago though lol. Haven't had to deal with two cards in a long time due to the fact that one card is almost always sufficient for 1080p.

I DID have problems with microstutters, which was REALLY annoying. But I was under the impression that was a thing of the past?

I actually think I will get a single 1070 for now, and then when the next generation comes out I will see if clevo will sell a second 1070 for a discount. A 1070 should hopefully be sufficient for most games, at least for now.

Still not entirely sure if I want to go with 1080s or 1070s. Figured I would have less thermal problems with the 70s

With the GeForce GTX 1080 and the GeForce GTX 1070, Nvidia has also introduced new, optionally usable SLI bridges. The new bridges, called SLI HB (High Bandwidth), are designed to offer higher bandwidths and thus significantly higher speeds than high-resolution flexible bridges, which were previously available free of charge.

Has it completely disappeared? I do not think so. Especially since a graphics card is behind. But I think the new Pascal architecture at NVIDIA is going the right way. How it looks with AMD, I do not know.

In my opinion, the high price of 1080 does not justify the performance. The 1070 reads like a Titan X at half price.

Agreed, that was my thinking. Unfortunately the laptop can't fit the HB bridge, but hopefully the microstuttering won't be too bad. Surely it can't be as terrible as 7 or so years ago. I've always heard crossfire has a harder time with microstutter.