Scripted Turrets?

mmyesrice

I hear that people are hoping for automated turrets. So will they have to be scripted? Because I think that would be a pretty good way for scripters to make some money. So... Sensors would be needed, like infrared cameras, that could tell the turret to shoot at the hot spots. This would also make it possible to trick them into shooting maybe a hot object nearby rather than the people, like a decoy, which would be much more realistic.

As others have mentioned before, indeed automation of weapons and ships will be there to a certain extent, while I do not expect full automation Scripted turrets will definitely be a thing, now obviously they will not be as efficient as humans and as twerk put it, good scripts will have their place and will be essential to maximize the output of any and all weapons.

• 4 weeks later...

If the automated turret is an element (pre-made) and you add a script to it, can you make a new blueprint of it with the script.  This way you can sell it or make copies of it.  Or do you have have to copy the script and place it on each element you have or want to sell?  I'm trying to see how I would handle customized turrets for myself and customers. 

If the automated turret is an element (pre-made) and you add a script to it, can you make a new blueprint of it with the script.  This way you can sell it or make copies of it.  Or do you have have to copy the script and place it on each element you have or want to sell?  I'm trying to see how I would handle customized turrets for myself and customers. 

That remains to be seen, how the Devs handle script streaming when a Control Unit is stored with scripts.

Keep in mind, scripts may be indeed saved as a referrence ID and be thus procceduraly generate whenever the Control Unit is interacted with, which would also mean a limited amount of scripts per Control Unit (controls units being elemetns like screens or cockpits, you tie to Elements to ooperate them and are the ones that store the scripts with DPUs being the "plugs" for the differnet modules to interface with the control unit). So, if it's done that way, your control unit will have scripts in the form of a referrence code that your client procedurally generates into a functioning script. for more referrence to what I'm talking, check the Library of Babel project. It operates on the same fundamentals.

But this is a mere speculation. It can be done like thus, but the Devs may have gone a different route altogether.