Role play Tag

SirJohn85

Greetings.

I am a passionate role player. I see a small problem: A server for all players. I have no way to go to an RP shard to find like-minded people. It is difficult with strangers. I can not know who does roleplay and who does not.

My wish:

Give me a command to color my display name.

Here's an example:

Type /rp on

to turn your name white(?) and signal to other role-players that you are ready for roleplay or are role-playing.

Type /rp off

to turn your name back to yellow(?) to signal to others that you are not role-playing.

Type /rp

to display your role-playing status.

I am well aware that it is for a minority. Alone by this color change, I know if I can appeal to role play.

And since we are on the subject:

Add a /me command to the local chat.

/me is the command used to describe an action that your character is doing. 

Here is an example that you type in the local chat: "/me sits down on the bench, and yawns." 

Output in Chat: "SirJohn85 sits down on the bench, and yawns."

Cheers!

Short Answer: Most likely no.

Long Answer:

NovaQuark (Dual Universe's owners) says they want emergent gameplay, so roleplay will come on its owns (See also: Players do the RPing).

It would also take a lot of development time for such a feature that not everyone (let alone 1/4) of DU's population will use.

Short Answer: Most likely no.

Long Answer:

NovaQuark (Dual Universe's owners) says they want emergent gameplay, so roleplay will come on its owns (See also: Players do the RPing).

It would also take a lot of development time for such a feature that not everyone (let alone 1/4) of DU's population will use.

i dont think being able to change your name and do /me is alot of coding.

Despite being no IT or coding expert, I think it's safe to say that many can agree that these simple (in comparison) changes don't take excessively too much effort to get into the game compared to other even more required things.

Now for the "passive roleplayers" crowd, as dev you always have it easy IF you provide them with a few basic tools and certain emotes: they mostly generate their own content.

It would almost be unclever to not give them a little bit of care, you potentially bind players a long time.

I am a passionate role player. I see a small problem: A server for all players. I have no way to go to an RP shard to find like-minded people. It is difficult with strangers. I can not know who does roleplay and who does not.

That is because there's only one shard, that which we all play on (As I'm sure you know). As for not knowing who role-plays and who does not, you're looking in the wrong place. Go to the organization page, and scroll through the hundreds of organizations that are listed. Find one that does RP, and join them. Problem solved.

That is because there's only one shard, that which we all play on (As I'm sure you know). As for not knowing who role-plays and who does not, you're looking in the wrong place. Go to the organization page, and scroll through the hundreds of organizations that are listed. Find one that does RP, and join them. Problem solved.

Problem not solved. I want to role play with all people, which want to do rp. Not only my organisation. That's why I wrote "strangers" in the first post. Have you ever played Lord of the Rings Online? Or Star Wars Galaxies? Have you seen the flagged RP people?

---

so roleplay will come on its owns (See also: Players do the RPing).

Only if you can find them. 

lol? 5 Minute example:

function chatCommand( ply, text, public )
    if (string.sub(text, 1, 3) == "/me") then --if the first 3 letters are /me, execute emote.
         ply:Me()
         return(false) --Hides the "/me" from chat
    end
end
hook.Add( "PlayerSay", "chatCommand", chatCommand );
Edited by SirJohn85

Problem not solved. I want to role play with all people, which want to do rp. Not only my organisation. That's why I wrote "strangers" in the first post. Have you ever played Lord of the Rings Online? Or Star Wars Galaxies? Have you seen the flagged RP people?

---

Only if you can find them. 

lol? 5 Minute example:

function chatCommand( ply, text, public )
    if (string.sub(text, 1, 3) == "/me") then --if the first 3 letters are /me, execute emote.
         ply:Me()
         return(false) --Hides the "/me" from chat
    end
end
hook.Add( "PlayerSay", "chatCommand", chatCommand );

well thats exactly what light said? It's not that much of an effort

SirJohn, I also played certain classic MMORPGs such as SWG and saw RP in those.

I get what you try to encourage the devs to add and it makes sense.

On the other hand I kind of take it easy and almost expect that anyone with a certain MMORPG RP experience knows how to help themselves in order to support or find RP. How's the situation in most classic MMORPGs for RPers anyway?

The fact is (at least to my knowledge and as seen in all MMORPGs I played so far) that not even on the 'official' RP servers, all are roleplayers. On official servers you can never really expect passive roleplay (what people mostly do in MMORPGs) all the time and not from everyone.

Solution or workarounds? RP hubs and creating interest groups. Just because you join some RP org doesn't mean you are restricted to just playing with them, but it's a good first step to get started. Chances are many other groups will offer something you like and that makes it easy to find what you look for once you know it exists. The rest is just arranging things and details.

But that ties in to my previous post:

Give the roleplayer some basic tools, at least some character customization and some emotes and the rest will be managed by them. Heck, throw in some decent tag, a very small icon as indicator or a colored name if that helps people.

But the rest - such as organizing themselves - is up to RP'ers. Those should be thankful in general because these games with emergent gameplay and lots of player freedoms naturally support immersion or some basic level of RP. Some should keep in mind, RP doesn't necessarily have to be passive and strictly text based.

There's enough games or game modes out there that cover active RP or both active and passive RP. I like both combined, if possible. And I think DU may be a good candidate next to SC.

SirJohn, I also played certain classic MMORPGs such as SWG and saw RP in those.

I get what you try to encourage the devs to add and it makes sense.

On the other hand I kind of take it easy and almost expect that anyone with a certain MMORPG RP experience knows how to help themselves in order to support or find RP. How's the situation in most classic MMORPGs for RPers anyway?

The fact is (at least to my knowledge and as seen in all MMORPGs I played so far) that not even on the 'official' RP servers, all are roleplayers. On official servers you can never really expect passive roleplay (what people mostly do in MMORPGs) all the time and not from everyone.

Solution or workarounds? RP hubs and creating interest groups. Just because you join some RP org doesn't mean you are restricted to just playing with them, but it's a good first step to get started. Chances are many other groups will offer something you like and that makes it easy to find what you look for once you know it exists. The rest is just arranging things and details.

But that ties in to my previous post:

Give the roleplayer some basic tools, at least some character customization and some emotes and the rest will be managed by them. Heck, throw in some decent tag, a very small icon as indicator or a colored name if that helps people.

But the rest - such as organizing themselves - is up to RP'ers. Those should be thankful in general because these games with emergent gameplay and lots of player freedoms naturally support immersion or some basic level of RP. Some should keep in mind, RP doesn't necessarily have to be passive and strictly text based.

There's enough games or game modes out there that cover active RP or both active and passive RP. I like both combined, if possible. And I think DU may be a good candidate next to SC.

I completely agree with you. Both in this, as well as in the previous post. :) Exactly these basic tools are needed. The rest does not matter because the roleplayers create the content. And you are also quite right. The hubs, the cantinas, etc... This works by itself.

That's why I do not understand your post. In the idea, I was only concerned about these basic tools.

This tag sounds more like "Please, OOC on me, it triggers me a lot".

In my opinion :

1) make a bar or place of congregation in-game

2) put rules on the entrance that state it's an RP club

3) have bouncers kicking people who OOC and have a fee of entry.

Problem solved, have fun RP'ng. Think of this a "safezone for RP'rs"

This tag sounds more like "Please, OOC on me, it triggers me a lot".

In my opinion :

1) make a bar or place of congregation in-game

2) put rules on the entrance that state it's an RP club

3) have bouncers kicking people who OOC and have a fee of entry.

Problem solved, have fun RP'ng. Think of this a "safezone for RP'rs"

This is exactly what it should not be.

I do not want a safe zone. Why would you restrict yourself to hubs in a universe of possibilities? Role playing can always and everywhere take place. In my opinion it would also be wrong to hide behind an entry fee. Role play is what we make of it. And everyone is invited. And if someone is trolling, then he is expelled from the building.

It is frustrating when you approach people who are clearly OOC.
- "lol, why are you talking so swollen?"
- "Don't you have a real life that you want to be someone else?"
- "Are you such an RPG freak?"

These and similar answers came when I spoke to someone IC. Sure, you ignore it, but do I have to "try" to find the role player?

The same is true in the vastness of the universe. If I meet another player in solitude, I could see by the tag I'm getting into.

- No rp tag?
You say kindly Hello and look like your counterparts reacts. If he shoots first, you shoot back.

- RP tag?
You signal with the tag you want to do some role play. You say friendly hello. If he rob you in the rp, it is your bad luck, but the bigger the reward is that it happened in the rp.

This RP tag lets both sides know what they are doing. On the other hand, you do not bother OOC people with RP and vice versa. The difference is that the role player can switch when the situation requires.

This is exactly what it should not be.

I do not want a safe zone. Why would you restrict yourself to hubs in a universe of possibilities? Role playing can always and everywhere take place. In my opinion it would also be wrong to hide behind an entry fee. Role play is what we make of it. And everyone is invited. And if someone is trolling, then he is expelled from the building.

It is frustrating when you approach people who are clearly OOC.

- "lol, why are you talking so swollen?"

- "Don't you have a real life that you want to be someone else?"

- "Are you such an RPG freak?"

These and similar answers came when I spoke to someone IC. Sure, you ignore it, but do I have to "try" to find the role player?

The same is true in the vastness of the universe. If I meet another player in solitude, I could see by the tag I'm getting into.

- No rp tag?

You say kindly Hello and look like your counterparts reacts. If he shoots first, you shoot back.

- RP tag?

You signal with the tag you want to do some role play. You say friendly hello. If he rob you in the rp, it is your bad luck, but the bigger the reward is that it happened in the rp.

This RP tag lets both sides know what they are doing. On the other hand, you do not bother OOC people with RP and vice versa. The difference is that the role player can switch when the situation requires.

I usually let my guns do the talking whoever I meet, and they only speak one, very loud, word.

Regardless, that RP tag will just attract people on you really, same goes for any title whatsoever.

I'd say have a congreagation for RP ran under an organisation's guidance. Solves a lot of problems.