Weathered constructs

Alex_Rogan

After watching the January Dev Diary I can't help but wonder will there be a type of weathering/aging of constructs.

To clarify: In snow biomes will constructs

start to have snow and ice form on them?

In forest and underwater biomes will plants start to grow around or on the constructs? Will they start to rust depending on the material used?

Personally, I would love the though of login after a month or two of playing and find vines growing up the wall of my base. Or a tree growing over the top of a wall I had near a cliff face. It would give me the feeling that the story of DU is actually looking for a home and not just a place to build my next ship.

This has been discussed before both as an effect both to deter players who may log in after a year and just jump right into their old ship, but to also allow the possibility of ruins being something that can be discovered (since there won't be any natural ruins).

I am personally all for materials collecting wear over time; they would need maintenance, an interesting mechanic, but also it could make materials more diverse. Some materials would be simply stronger than others, achieving less wear over longer periods; and of course they would also need better skills to attain, and be more expensive. There could also be materials which attain much more or much less wear in different biomes, kind of like you say, where the weather matters. ( Speaking of which, I never did get why there are specialized "snowspeeders" on Hoth... Are they just ships adapted for snow? Would they work on Tatooine? Do normal ships not work well on Hoth?)

Weathering was one of the coolest features of my favorite MMO, Wurm Online.

You could walk around the world and come across crumbling ruins in the middle of forests that were at one point someone's home. Trees would grow back, grass would grow over dirt roads, walls would crumble if not kept up over time, etc.

You could be out cutting a trail through a forest, and come across a long stretch of land that seemed to be flat (although trees had grown back over) and you'd realize that you had stumbled across someone's old road or trail they had made. Some of my best memories in Wurm involve restoring old trails that I had found, and finding projects that had been started but abandoned over the years hidden high up in the mountains accessible only via trails that had long been overtaken by the elements. 

This has been discussed before both as an effect both to deter players who may log in after a year and just jump right into their old ship, but to also allow the possibility of ruins being something that can be discovered (since there won't be any natural ruins.)

Would be interesting to stumble across an old city of an organization that didn't make it and see what they were attempting to build being over run with by an forest. Or maybe even remains of an old battlefield.

Some of my best memories in Wurm involve restoring old trails that I had found, and finding projects that had been started but abandoned over the years hidden high up in the mountains accessible only via trails that had long been overtaken by the elements.

That sounds awesome, this is some I would look forward to seeing in Du in the near future.

( Speaking of which, I never did get why there are specialized "snowspeeders" on Hoth... Are they just ships adapted for snow? Would they work on Tatooine? Do normal ships not work well on Hoth?)

I can answer this :) The answer is that the extreme cold on hoth prevented most ships from functioning successfully out in the cold, for periods longer than just transport ships fleeing. The snowspeeders were indeed adapted ships (As most of their stuff is), outfitted the best the rebels could to work in the cold, but they occasionally still had problems. Would they work on Tatooine? Maybe, but they'd probably need to install specialized filters to keep the sand out of the engine.

"I hate sand. It's course, rough, and it gets everywhere."

While it has been mentioned that such a feature would probably won't be in the game, what I truly believe is that it would be really good to have.

I am personally all for materials collecting wear over time; they would need maintenance, an interesting mechanic, but also it could make materials more diverse. Some materials would be simply stronger than others, achieving less wear over longer periods; and of course they would also need better skills to attain, and be more expensive. There could also be materials which attain much more or much less wear in different biomes, kind of like you say, where the weather matters. 

I totally agree with that, it would be quite awesome to have, also regular maintenance would need to be there so that the things remain in good state, this might open up another field of jobs for people who are interested in repairing stuff, maybe a restoration team or something like a garage where people go to get their stuff repaired it would be quite interesting to see.

Weathering was one of the coolest features of my favorite MMO, Wurm Online.

You could walk around the world and come across crumbling ruins in the middle of forests that were at one point someone's home. Trees would grow back, grass would grow over dirt roads, walls would crumble if not kept up over time, etc.

You could be out cutting a trail through a forest, and come across a long stretch of land that seemed to be flat (although trees had grown back over) and you'd realize that you had stumbled across someone's old road or trail they had made. Some of my best memories in Wurm involve restoring old trails that I had found, and finding projects that had been started but abandoned over the years hidden high up in the mountains accessible only via trails that had long been overtaken by the elements. 

That sounds awesome, and maybe finding old ruins, lost trails and such similar stuff would bring out a new sense of adventure among everyone ;)

Definitely a good idea if the server technology allows for it. I approve but don't think we will see anything like this any time soon.

Whether the weather be fine

Or whether the weather be not,

Whether the weather be cold

Or whether the weather be hot,

We'll weather the weather

Whatever the weather,

Whether we like it or not.