Dev Stream on Twitch

SirJohn85

Hello everybody. :)

I'm new to the community. Many discussions are based on speculations that are usually left in the room. Beautiful theories with good solutions. It bother me when I see long posts that are discussed up to death.

So I'm throwing the idea that the devs should take advantage of the possibilities of Twitch. I do not mention it for no reason. Another indie game developer takes advantage of this. Whoever follows the steps of Astroneer sees the potential of this stream. You can look over the shoulders of the developers. And the makers of Astroneer have a team size of 15 men and women.

Do not get me wrong - this is not supposed to be an advertisement for another game.

But do you see the possibilities of this platform?

Three Reasons for Players:

- Q & A with gaming material

- Artists are modeling the elements.

- Developers explain simple mechanics (LUA, elevator, build ship, ...)

Three reasons for NovaQuark:

- Transparent towards the customer. (Yes Man Sky ? ;))

- Interested players can get a picture of the game, indirect advetising

- Unified Communications - In the social media, a single message is enough to alert the players to this event.

I do not post a link to the above stream of the other game. With Google, however, everyone should come to what I mean by that. :) But I would appreciate it very much if NovaQuark does something similar.

I tthink they should and will just focus on alpha for now to get all basic mechanics in there - which is the best they could possibly do. They have a monthly devdiary with video to keep us informed.

I can see such a thing happening later down the road once closed beta is done in 2017 and one or more devs have time to do more of the social stuff.

I think as the devs work hard to get the alpha up they are very, very busy. Setting something like this up takes a lot of time and resources but after Alpha release, I think it would be a great idea. This way they have taken the first step towards release and now have a bit of a cushion. Granted they may have even more work as they bring new ideas into the game and fix a lot of the bugs but I hope HQ sees this and comments. It would be a really cool way to bring more attention to what it will look like and how they have designed some of the game mechanics. 

It has to be said that, for this stage of development, they are throwing a lot of content and updates at us. It is highly appreciated. As appreciated as streams surely will be down the line.

Begogian, on 26 Jan 2017 - 9:00 PM, said:snapback.png

Setting something like this up takes a lot of time and resources 

Yes and no.

1. Define date with the boss and the framework you want to show. It is enough if you show ingame footage and make a moderated Q & A.
2. Download Open Broadcast Software and read this guide:
3. Expose it as you build the "hype" around your stream on your social media channels.
4. Enjoy the streaming. Calm down. Answer the questions.   :)
5. ???
6. Profit

On the one hand we have the Q & A thread, which concerns only the existing members. In an open channel you can reach everyone and everyone can ask questions. If a question is still too early, you can say "It's too early." What is the next question?

And I'm pretty sure that is less elaborate than selecting specific questions from the thread. Time saved and the world informed. It lets you kill two birds with one stone    :)

Thokan, on 26 Jan 2017 - 9:46 PM, said:snapback.png

It has to be said that, for this stage of development, they are throwing a lot of content and updates at us. 

Unfortunately, I have to disagree.

Videos with 2 minutes runtime, .. I do not take as a reference. It indicates where the journey goes, but it is not a qualitatively meaningful material.

Let's go a step further. Which game has the most players disappointed in 2016?

I quote JC at this interview: http://www.eurogamer...-mans-sky-world -

"No Man's Sky has hurt us, very clearly," Jean-Christophe Baillie, an impeccably smart looking Frenchman, tells me as he finishes his short demo of Dual Universe in action. "This is a post-no man's sky era." "It's a huge amount of distrust in the community." As you know, we're doing a kickstarter, and it's just no man's We all know what's going on, and what's going to happen.

Several gaming magazines have news about Dual Universe. I have compiled a few (which I read):

http://www.gamestar....news/53842.html

http://www.pcgamer.c...m=dual universe

http://www.eurogamer...s/dual-universe

http://www.gamespot.com/dual-universe/

Many still have the latest status from October. Individual interviews are also available on Youtube. But no ingame footage.

And for that reason and exactly because of this statement, I advocate Twitch. Show people what you have, we know it's pre alpha.

What I forgot in the first post: Maybe someone has followed the Dev Stream of Conan Exiles. These guys are also present on Twitch. Also behind it stands Funcom, a big publisher. And I'm sure they're more strict about something.

First of all, I want Dual Universe to be a success. I would like to prevent with this thread, which one might miss a potential possibility. After the No Man Sky Fiasko, players are reluctant. (As you read in the comments on Gamestar above, unfortunately only in German) And by going openly to the community, you reduce the risk.

Well NQ is very open for discussion, as proved many times.

Still it's better not to waste time, money and devs on such a thing when you could use all that to get alpha out so people can stream for themselves and make videos of the tests (if allowed that is ofc).

Well NQ is very open for discussion, as proved many times.

Still it's better not to waste time, money and devs on such a thing when you could use all that to get alpha out so people can stream for themselves and make videos of the tests (if allowed that is ofc).

1. More viewers = More potential backers = More revenue.

2. I'm pretty sure you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), which is common at this stage. 

1. More viewers = More potential backers = More revenue.

2. I'm pretty sure you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), which is common at this stage. 

The revenue potential is in long term players, rather than short term. Also, we have no clue if there is an NDA (it wouldn't be preferable if there was, transparency and everything after NMS), but I will be sure to ask closer to the time.

Yes and no.

1. Define date with the boss and the framework you want to show. It is enough if you show ingame footage and make a moderated Q & A.

Https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software

3. Expose it as you build the "hype" around your stream on your social media channels.

5. ???

6. Profit

On the one hand we have the Q & A thread, which concerns only the existing members. In an open channel you can reach everyone and everyone can ask questions. If a question is still too early, you can say "It's too early." What is the next question?

And I'm pretty sure that is less elaborate than selecting specific questions from the thread. Time saved and the world informed. It lets you kill two birds with one stone    :)

I don't know if you've ever worked for a startup, but absolutely nothing is EVER this straightforward. In a startup nobody ever has statically defined roles, you are expected to fulfill multiple roles and you are always racing against the clock. 

Sure it's easy to setup OBS and stream to twitch, but we're talking about a company with limited staff, limited budget and limited time. 

It's a much more valuable use of time to have JC do interviews with people who have their own audiences they can target, rather than having someone try to manage yet another social media outlet. 

Yes and no.

5. ???
6. Profit

I mean, I know how to use twitch but depending on their computers and setups, I can be difficult to work, running software, and streaming to twitch. Playing a game and streaming is different than programming, game design and streaming. Although twitch is easy to use and set-up, you need to maintain everything, good connection, computer capable of handling everything. We don't know what they use. If it was just filming them that would be one thing.

They also have a lot of different work to do. Streaming stuff for an alpha is not top priority unless they want to push back alpha release, put in more hours, or hire someone else to work on that and nothing every runs as smoothly as you wrote it.

I don't know if you've ever worked for a startup, but absolutely nothing is EVER this straightforward. In a startup nobody ever has statically defined roles, you are expected to fulfill multiple roles and you are always racing against the clock. 

Sure it's easy to setup OBS and stream to twitch, but we're talking about a company with limited staff, limited budget and limited time. 

It's a much more valuable use of time to have JC do interviews with people who have their own audiences they can target, rather than having someone try to manage yet another social media outlet. 

Yes, I did in the past. Now I am in a company that works with ITIL. (What is common in the IT industry)

In the last sentence I do not agree. Here is the reason:
JC gives 10 interviews with 10 different people, one hour each. So he explained in 10 hours, 10 times that he has a scientific background and you read 10 times the star-destroyer example.

Instead of peddling, people are picked up. Youtuber get the necessary information, make videos and it distributes by itself.

Why do you think that it would not have any added value?

- So you have an overview of what they are working on
- You see how the game goes ahead
- Players form an opinion about the game and the company. (PR!)

I mean, we're not talking about the fact that you should stream every week. Once a month for maybe 1 hour.

I mean, I know how to use twitch but depending on their computers and setups, I can be difficult to work, running software, and streaming to twitch. Playing a game and streaming is different than programming, game design and streaming. Although twitch is easy to use and set-up, you need to maintain everything, good connection, computer capable of handling everything. We don't know what they use. If it was just filming them that would be one thing.

They also have a lot of different work to do. Streaming stuff for an alpha is not top priority unless they want to push back alpha release, put in more hours, or hire someone else to work on that and nothing every runs as smoothly as you wrote it.

And that 's exactly why I use this as an idea.

Maybe they have already thought about that. Maybe not. It is intended to encourage the developers to think about it. Especially since we have no idea what they think about it.

So I leave it as an idea in the room. Or did I not understand the meaning and purpose of this forum section? ;)

Yes, I did in the past. Now I am in a company that works with ITIL. (What is common in the IT industry)

In the last sentence I do not agree. Here is the reason:
JC gives 10 interviews with 10 different people, one hour each. So he explained in 10 hours, 10 times that he has a scientific background and you read 10 times the star-destroyer example.

Instead of peddling, people are picked up. Youtuber get the necessary information, make videos and it distributes by itself.

Why do you think that it would not have any added value?

- So you have an overview of what they are working on
- You see how the game goes ahead
- Players form an opinion about the game and the company. (PR!)

I mean, we're not talking about the fact that you should stream every week. Once a month for maybe 1 hour.

The way that would work is Youtuber/media outlet makes a list of questions/topics that they would like to make a video on. Youtuber sends this to one of the community managers (who may or may not also have other jobs), who then relays this to the correct people. Youtuber receives answers (even if they are 'idk') and then makes a video. The problem for the devs though is that no one is doing regular DU videos, therefore they don't know who would work (in return, I say challenge accepted) and that it may annoy some of the dev team who just want to get on with work. It also has the potential to backfire due to either the CM or the youtuber misinterpreting things and the general flux of pre-alpha/alpha.

P.S. To anyone from NQ reading this, I am willing to be your voice.

The way that would work is Youtuber/media outlet makes a list of questions/topics that they would like to make a video on. Youtuber sends this to one of the community managers (who may or may not also have other jobs), who then relays this to the correct people. Youtuber receives answers (even if they are 'idk') and then makes a video. The problem for the devs though is that no one is doing regular DU videos, therefore they don't know who would work (in return, I say challenge accepted) and that it may annoy some of the dev team who just want to get on with work. It also has the potential to backfire due to either the CM or the youtuber misinterpreting things and the general flux of pre-alpha/alpha.

P.S. To anyone from NQ reading this, I am willing to be your voice.

Quite right!

That's why I wrote that they should look at it. The simple question in the office, who would like to do that ... Et voilà, your potential candidates are given.
And if really something should not work, you can also ask the people in the forum. I would help. That goes without saying. After all, we are a community.

And ultimately you could see it as a pilot project. You do it once and draw your feedback from it.

Quite right!

That's why I wrote that they should look at it. The simple question in the office, who would like to do that ... Et voilà, your potential candidates are given.
And if really something should not work, you can also ask the people in the forum. I would help. That goes without saying. After all, we are a community.

And ultimately you could see it as a pilot project. You do it once and draw your feedback from it.

I was, after using up all available topics, going to ask NQ on something that they want answered or something that is currently unknown. I currently have about 3 videos out now and some more on the way that should last me until alpha at one video a month.