The Specs

Slaxx

Right now I don't know if even the devs know what the specs will be... However, at E3, they WERE running the game and the test server on a single laptop, with adequate frames.

I remember reading a comment by them that the devs were all using GTX 980's and GTX 970's. That an i5 would work, but an i7 wouldn't hurt.

Alpha likely won't be fully optimized, but I hope they give us more detailed specs as it approaches. 

I remember reading a comment by them that the devs were all using GTX 980's and GTX 970's. That an i5 would work, but an i7 wouldn't hurt.

Alpha likely won't be fully optimized, but I hope they give us more detailed specs as it approaches. 

ok, thanks

I feel like if you are asking you may be using an older laptop but what are your computers specs? CPU, Graphics Card, OS? It would be helpful to know because something like what Yama said would work but you may be able to make due with less.

These are the spec requirements for Eve Online, you can compare a bit I think: https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/202748741-System-Requirements

I feel like if you are asking you may be using an older laptop but what are your computers specs? CPU, Graphics Card, OS? It would be helpful to know because something like what Yama said would work but you may be able to make due with less.

These are the spec requirements for Eve Online, you can compare a bit I think: https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/202748741-System-Requirements

Agreed, if you are looking for a specific yes/no to "Can I run this?" it may help to provide your specs so we can debate it, but as has been previously mentioned there are no official specs out yet. I do remember someone asking about this before, and I think it was answered in one of the AMAs to the tune of "We are designing this game to run on a good computer today or a medium computer when it launches (2018)". Now those are pretty relative terms, but that's all we really have.

And although EVE is comparable in terms of game mechanics, I don't think it is very comparable in terms of hardware requirements. ( I've even seen some text-based versions of the EVE interface).

A better comparison might be Space Engineers http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=9010&game=Space%20Engineers

does anyone know the approximate specs of dual universe?

im trying to figure out if i can play it on this laptop.

I'm just going to say that no, you almost certainly can't.

NQ have stated that they expect modern day high-spec computers (i.e. GTX 10 series, quad core 3.0GHz or greater CPU, etc.) to be medium specs for the game. The alpha will require higher level specs just due to its lack of optimisation.

A laptop bought in 2018 might, but unless you've gotten one of those new laptops that are running desktop GPUs, I don't think so.

Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

I also Have my mac Bootcamped so if i need to run it on Windows 8 I can.

will this run well or should i think about getting a new computer?

Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

I also Have my mac Bootcamped so if i need to run it on Windows 8 I can.

will this run well or should i think about getting a new computer?

I'd start saving for a new computer, and then when alpha hits... you can try your current computer, and if it doesn't work out... you have the funds to fix that.  If it DOES work decently well, you have some extra spending cash to do whatever with... or save.

What would you suggest for pre shopping for a computer? what specs should I aim for?

Your RAM and processor should be fine but it's the GPU that is going to be the bottleneck. Long term, I would say you probably want to shoot for the 900 series.

What would you suggest for pre shopping for a computer? what specs should I aim for?

I wouldn't suggest pre-shopping for parts, as it will be awhile before the game is online... which means, you will be able to better evaluate what you need at that time.  I would just suggest putting aside money into a proverbial cookie jar, a little here... a little there.  And then when the game hits, you can see if it runs on your computer or not.  

Now, if you want to get a new computer now... not because of Dual Universe... I would go with an RX 480, and an i7 6700 processor.  The RX 480 performs about on the same level as the GTX 980, but it's about 50 dollars cheaper.  However, if you have money to spend... obviously you can go with a 1080 TI or some such, and get all the power you need.  Then, you just need a motherboard, RAM, fans, and a case.. but unfortunately, most of those are personal preference.  

However, with all that said... if you just want to buy a computer for Dual Universe... definitely wait.

As an aside, I really like mini itx builds... so my recommendations for cases/mobos would fall under that category... but it would really depend on your personal preference.  Do you want a bulky computer that can support multiple cards down the line?  Or do you want a slim build, you can only upgrade via replacing in?

As for RAM, I would suggest something from CORSAIR, just make sure it's LGA 1151 ddr4 RAM.

Your RAM and processor should be fine but it's the GPU that is going to be the bottleneck. Long term, I would say you probably want to shoot for the 900 series.

It's a laptop, so unfortunately it's highly unlikely he will be able to simply swap parts out.  

1.) . It's really difficult, and only works if the system has an unsoldered graphics card... which I don't think macs have.

2.) . Getting a mobile chip is extremely overpriced, and hard to obtain.

As another aside, we should also know if you are planning to build the computer or not... I assumed you were, as it's a really simple process!  Many Youtube videos to figure it out, and save about $200 that other companies over charge for putting it together... And you know for a fact the case/etc. is what you want.  Some assembly websites have a lot of options, but you don't know exactly what the physical aspects of the machine are until it's assembled at your door ^^

for gaming you don't need an I7. I5 XXXXK is way enough. I wouldn't bother spending ~100€ more just to get 5avg fps more. Save that money and buy a better gpu.

The I5 -K is easily OCd to ~4,4ghz - way enough punch for playing

Are Alienware laptops good?

I personally would not buy a laptop from Alienware. The price is not in relation to the performance.

Instead, I advise you to compare. Http://www.notebookcheck.net/ is a reputable site. It illuminates all laptops with comprehensible tests and give a useful conclusion. You have no reason to overthrow something now.

for gaming you don't need an I7. I5 XXXXK is way enough. I wouldn't bother spending ~100€ more just to get 5avg fps more. Save that money and buy a better gpu.

The I5 -K is easily OCd to ~4,4ghz - way enough punch for playing

Last generation I would probably agree with you, but the i7 6700 is about 10-15% more powerful depending on the game (It's about 12% more powerful in benchmarking).  If you get the i7 6700k, well... overclocking that beast is a wonderful thing.  However, you are right... it's $100 more, but you do get benefits outside of raw power in photo editing/computational mumbo jumbo.

10-15% isn't something to be laughed at, especially when the CPU could be the potential bottleneck in bleeding edge games... like SC/DU.  The better the CPU, the more ships you will be able to have on screen before lagging ^^

As for a laptop, I wouldn't consider Alienware as the best coarse of action.  I would look at a Razer.

Razer's are probably the slimmest laptops you can get with DESKTOP graphics cards.  The CPU will still be lacking, but... you win some, you lose some :)

$2000 Razer gets a 1060 (which is about 10% more powerful than the 480 I mentioned).  However, the CPU is  an i7 6700HQ, which is significantly less powerful than a desktop CPU.  However, for a laptop it is a phenomenal option, clocking out at only 4 pounds.

You can also get a laptop with a 1080 stuck inside of it, but you would end up paying 2x the price for like 20% gains.  And a laptop that is 2 pounds heavier.

Another option is the Gigabyte Aorus, which is very similar to Razer's lineup, but a little cheaper!  However, their build quality isn't up to snuff sometimes.

Last generation I would probably agree with you, but the i7 6700 is about 10-15% more powerful depending on the game (It's about 12% more powerful in benchmarking).  If you get the i7 6700k, well... overclocking that beast is a wonderful thing.  However, you are right... it's $100 more, but you do get benefits outside of raw power in photo editing/computational mumbo jumbo.

10-15% isn't something to be laughed at, especially when the CPU could be the potential bottleneck in bleeding edge games... like SC/DU.  The better the CPU, the more ships you will be able to have on screen before lagging ^^

As for a laptop, I wouldn't consider Alienware as the best coarse of action.  I would look at a Razer.

Razer's are probably the slimmest laptops you can get with DESKTOP graphics cards.  The CPU will still be lacking, but... you win some, you lose some :)

$2000 Razer gets a 1060 (which is about 10% more powerful than the 480 I mentioned).  However, the CPU is  an i7 6700HQ, which is significantly less powerful than a desktop CPU.  However, for a laptop it is a phenomenal option, clocking out at only 4 pounds.

You can also get a laptop with a 1080 stuck inside of it, but you would end up paying 2x the price for like 20% gains.  And a laptop that is 2 pounds heavier.

Another option is the Gigabyte Aorus, which is very similar to Razer's lineup, but a little cheaper!  However, their build quality isn't up to snuff sometimes.

yeah....as i said: 10-15% = 6fps AVERAGE. If you only have air cooling you can do 4,3-4,4ghz with the I5 while with the I7 you hardly reach 4,6ghz

if you only game on your pc and only do photostuff on random occasions, an I7 is ALWAYS overpowered. I would rather have the I5 and instead of a gtx 970 a 980 - gpu > cpu.

10-15% IS to laugh at for a normal gamer because your gpu won't likely be able to run it anyway. So that advantage of those single fps is void.

I personally have an I7-6700k but only because a friend of mine works at intel and i get 50%

The 980 is 4% more powerful in gaming (than the 970). We will have to agree to disagree I suppose. 2.5% more powerful in graphics.

Overall it's 5% more powerful.

Trust me, the CPU would be more worthwhile.

Another FYI:  Why are we even suggesting the 900 series?  A $300+ card ($300 is a very conservative number for the 980 chip) costs over $100 more than the rx 480, and is a smidge less powerful.  I should also mention the 1060 is as powerful as the rx 480.  The rx 480 is just slightly cheaper, so if you want to get a Nvidia card, which is everyone's choice... get the GTX 1060.  (If you want a card in the $200 range).

You could also get a slim laptop with a beefy cpu and consider an external GPU: 

I can't find many comparisons between eGPUs and GPUs... I'm not sure if performance is lost in the eGPU setup or not.  Well, I mean it obviously is... but I'm not sure if that's because there's a bottleneck on the CPU, or if actually performance is lost in the connector.  *shrug*

Edit:
It's not the FPS we're entirely worried about when it comes to CPU power, it's how much can our computer handle until the FPS is affected?  What I mean by this, is that you can load 10-15% more ships and clutter on screen before you start being hit performance wise.  THAT is what I think a powerful cpu is necessary for.  So large space battles with an i7 7700?  Not a problem.  

However, in this 7th generation or w/e the 7700 is not worth it over the 7600...

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7600/3887vs3890

Did some research into what's available these days:

If it's a laptop you want, I'd go with something like this:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9172-clevo-p775dm3-g.html?startcustomization=1

Has a desktop CPU and a desktop GPU... 8 pounds though, almost double the Razer.  Still, that's impressive!

Well done review:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Eurocom-Sky-X7E2-Clevo-P775DM3-Notebook-Review.178427.0.html

One thing to note, the review was done on a computer with an i7 6700k, which is less powerful than the i7 7700k ^^

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700K/3647vs3502

I didn't even realize the 7xxx was released!  The i7 7700 is literally 20% faster than the i5 6500.  However, it's only 3% faster than the i7 7600. 

As an aside, anyone know if it's even worth overclocking in a laptop?  Like why do they stuff overclockable components in something so compact?

It's worth pointing out that the demo they showed at PAX (where the client + server were both running on the same machine) ran on ASUS Republic of Gamers laptops or MSI GS laptops. At least, I believe they were, although my memory could be mistaken. The image below shows the laptops they were using, and they look like ASUS RoG's or MSI GS's to me:

i7DbVxM.jpg

Regardless of if they are GS or RoG's the specs would be similar.