Banks?

Hello,

I was thinking about gameplay mechanics and thought it would be nice to have banks. If an org needs money to build a huge death star or needs to fight a war they could take a loan. It could also serve as a storage/trade place and would be really valuable. I don't know of any banks currently and was wondering if there are any or any planned to be made. I don't know if the in game mechanic would allow for this to happen, however, I thought it would be really useful. 

Considering "EVERYTHING" is going to be player ran, odds are banks will arise, there will be the scams, then there will be the ones who have the decency to run a real operation. Personally, we at the ACS plan on the latter on our trade hubs. 

First they would have to be proven legit, obviously, and not be "Dual Credit doublers! Totally legit, CHECK MY BIO!!"

But if they ain't, you could always blow up the bank...

Oh - and I would love to see ya try and blow up a in game bank - you would not only deal with the banks corporate holders, but everyone else that has items/currency stored there. . . Essentially you would be pissing off quite a few people. People that would more than likely fight to defend their assets. 

Considering "EVERYTHING" is going to be player ran, odds are banks will arise, there will be the scams, then there will be the ones who have the decency to run a real operation. Personally, we at the ACS plan on the latter on our trade hubs. 

That's exactly what the former would say...

Oh - and I would love to see ya try and blow up a in game bank - you would not only deal with the banks corporate holders, but everyone else that has items/currency stored there. . . Essentially you would be pissing off quite a few people. People that would more than likely fight to defend their assets. 

Of course. If you blew up the legit bank. Nobody would complain if you blew up the scam ones. They might even help!

If you run a bank, which will be the case at some point in-game, then you have to have:

- respect and trust from the community

- military force to defend that bank (if it's an actual building and you also store assets - to me this would be just senseless, but whatever)

- security measures to prevent you and your employees to scam people

- security measures to prevent loantakers to scam you

- a military force to attack people who scammed the bank

In eve I ran a very small bank myself. It boils down to: you have to trust those people you give money to. There's no need for an actual building because you can do everything with credits more easily and safer. Depending on how DACs will work in the end you could pile them up to be completely safe too.

If you run a bank, which will be the case at some point in-game, then you have to have:

- respect and trust from the community

- military force to defend that bank (if it's an actual building and you also store assets - to me this would be just senseless, but whatever)

- security measures to prevent you and your employees to scam people

- security measures to prevent loantakers to scam you

- a military force to attack people who scammed the bank

In eve I ran a very small bank myself. It boils down to: you have to trust those people you give money to. There's no need for an actual building because you can do everything with credits more easily and safer. Depending on how DACs will work in the end you could pile them up to be completely safe too.

Even with all of this stuff, would you be able to trust the bank or the people running it? Let's say you build up a lot of trust. Wait till your bank is packed and you have millions or billions of space dollars, then you run. I don't know if I could ever trust a bank in an online game where I know no one. 

It would also have to be run by a neutral 3rd party. Someone with no ties to any of the big organizations and is not able to be bribed or bought out.

It'll probably be like Eve, a central wallet, you are able to devise on your end how you like. Or, maybe it'll be like entropia where you hold a non dropable card, containing the digital currency. I doubt as a species, we'd be utilizing paper or any other form of physical currency, in which case the ubdroppable card would work just find. Maybe a implant would be more appropriate

Technically, you don't need money in-game, if your org is fully self-sufficient in the sense of people who pay their subscription and can farm / contribute in a collective effort

So, if people want to play the game as part of a communist utopia, they can in fact, do that.

For everyone else, a bank is nothing more than an investment firm. You give money to the bank, they use it to invest, or play the market, and you get a cut off of their profit in the form of interest.

The real question is how in-depth the contract system will be on NQ's side or how thorough the RDMS will be, in order to prevent blatant scams (give me 1000 isk, I'll make it 1000000 in two days or your money back kind of scams) and if NQ will aim to implement a "stock and shareholding" system, for people to be able to buy "stock" off of a bank, in order to ensure that someone won't simply extract all the money in one go and rob everyone blind from the bank's vault.

Reputation can be built by one person, on that their bank can give you great interest and that their bank can make you crazy money, after all, investors are nothing more than educated gamblers. You fuel their addiction, they pay you back. It's up to NQ to just make the system work by rigid RDMS check being in place.

Isn't "currency" going to also be a customizable or entirely player dependent decision implementation?

So basically we could even make countries that don't use currency at all..

No player made currency (refer to the ama videos and or questions) will be in DU. There is ONE currency, made by NQ.

As twerk pointed out you CAN play with no in-game money at all if you wish and if your org has the proper logistics for it, but all of us would still use that one currency

I would only trust the people in authority of my organization to handle my money, other then that no. If anyone is running a bank it should be the leaders of organizations maintaining its safety.

• 1 month later...

No player made currency (refer to the ama videos and or questions) will be in DU. There is ONE currency, made by NQ.

As twerk pointed out you CAN play with no in-game money at all if you wish and if your org has the proper logistics for it, but all of us would still use that one currency

I agree. Banks will mostly be for savings accounts, insurance, or for setting up exchanges.