Under water bases

Clark364

Hello,

My name is Robert and I am the Legate of Future Horizons Exploration Inc.  I was wondering if we will be able to construct bases underwater and explore oceans.  I want to taylor my exploration vessel after the famed ocean explorer Jacques Cousteau.  I would love to be able to construct an underwater lab and exploration base.  Is underwater base building in the works?   I have many ideas for this.

Somewhere in this interview, we asked JC about underwater bases and other types of vehicles (like naval ones). I'll try to watch it and find the exact phrasing of the answer, because "no" isn't exactly accurate: 

Edit:

(08:47) Will we be able to build under the water, and will we be able to pump out water, out of this area, or out of constructs for that matter?

That one, we have not put any thought into. It makes sense, we totally understand out of interests for gameplay, but this is not something that we have given any thought.  There are perhaps three types, three levels of idea:  the core, we are sure we are going to do them, we have a very good idea about how we are going to do them, I can speak about them easily.  Usually they are going to be more or less in the release.  There is the intermediary sort of features, which are no so well defined, that will probably not going to make it to the release that will probably not make it to the release, but will make it to the expansions, because we are going to do expansions.  Free expansions, people are asking sometimes, because everybody has to play with the same client, it’s a single-shared universe, having game extensions in a single-shared universe just doesn’t make sense.  So you will have expansions that will actually add more functionalities to the game.  A particular example is stargates which will most likely not be in the release but will come in an expansions, maybe 6 months – 1 year from the release of the game. That being said, this is the second category of features.  I like to talk about them, but its more about the game vision, but I would not like people to think that they will be in the release and be disappointed, but it’s very important for us to communicate clearly on that.  Oh yea it’s a good idea, I never thought about that, maybe I have an idea of how we perhaps would implement it, okay this is not in the roadmap, I can’t make any promise of any kind.  I think building underwater is this kind of thing.  I could you know improvise on how we could do this, and it would be very good ideas I think, but it’s not in the roadmap and it’s not real defining for the game, okay if you cannot do that it will not break the game. We cannot do everything so this is a very good candidate for a feature postponing so that we can concentrate on the core things that will make this game what it is.  So I would probably say the same kind of thing for other features that you will ask that are kind of cool, but we don’t have anything in the roadmap for them so far.

It will be very limited at start, because this requires quite a lot of specific developments and we want to focus on the ground gameplay first. But in the long run, yes, we have ideas on how to make it possible to explore underwater or even build underwater bases, vehicles, etc. But this would come in a future (free) expansion.

Simple question, is Ailoth going to have bodies of water (lakes, oceans, etc)? I can except that water physics are really hard but having it as some sort of "non solid" material that is created by the world gen but does flow or change shape to fill it's vessel would make planets feel a lot more realistic.

I only ask as doing water is something you need to have in the first release, you can't really add oceans in as a patch ????

Simple question, is Ailoth going to have bodies of water (lakes, oceans, etc)? I can except that water physics are really hard but having it as some sort of "non solid" material that is created by the world gen but does flow or change shape to fill it's vessel would make planets feel a lot more realistic.

I only ask as doing water is something you need to have in the first release, you can't really add oceans in as a patch

I think the idea is that its a liquid with some limited physics to help with server load and make it the same across all clients and that it will be in game in at least some limited form (Ice in space engineers just feels odd but you could easily switch those voxels out later with a volumetric type if you absolutely needed to)

Ice in space engineers just feels odd but you could easily switch those voxels out later with a volumetric type if you absolutely needed to

With somewhat disastrous consequences upon the application of the update (mass flooding maybe?)

Have a time of heavier bombardment rate of relatively small asteroids comets, consisting of almost entirely ice. Upon hitting the autmosphere, it could add it's liquid to the said planet.

Wishful thinking :P

To much chaos, moving objects and over all hassle :P