Ideas and Inspiration (Taken from movies and such)

mmyesrice

Oblivion_BubbleShip.jpg

Bubble ship from Oblivion

x-wing.jpg?itok=I2PURRTx

X-Wing from Star Wars (obviously)

l15332-tie-fighter-94029.jpg

Tie Fighter from Star Wars

interstellar-water.jpg

The Interstellar Ship from (of course) Interstellar (I don't know what it's called)

Feel free to add your own suggestions.

The Interstellar Ship from (of course) Interstellar (I don't know what it's called)

Feel free to add your own suggestions.

The Ranger. Aside from the fuel capacity being pretty absurd for it to be an SSTO, it is a very nice looking ship.

You can do whatever you want - and you choose to copy others. As I said multiple times: IMHO it's better in DU to be creative and build something unique instead of copying some other vessel. I get that some fanbois will build SW ships and I get why they do this. But to me this is just weak, not creative and against the true nature of DU. But that's just me, so please move on

I think people will end up building practical, light, cheap to build and functional ships (to begin with anyway) as ships like a star destroyer whilst would look spectacular and be quite functional in a stand and fight capital ship will be well beyond even the major companies to start off with, therefore I will be going for ships more like the minmatar ships in EVE.....

[.................. I was going to post a small pic here of an example but apparently I'm not allowed to post .jpg images in this community........... :blink:]

Cheap, simple and easy to produce and replace, am looking forward to playing around with some designs and seeing what awesome idea's people come up with  ;) 

I've never been a fan of people who make straight-up carbon copies of ships someone else has already made; when I see Star Wars ships on the front page of Space Engineers, I remark at the lack of imagination (and I made a workshop page in the game basically advocating against this). However, taking inspiration for ships, which is what a lot of other people do, is a great idea because you can take something cool from one or two ships and then take off with your imagination. There is an awesome collage of ships someone made, again for Space Engineers, which I've looked through before, not only for inspiration but just because all of the screenshots are awesome. I know some people here will enjoy looking through them. Credit where credit is due, I had nothing to do with their creation. You won't be disappointed!

Ship Concepts Art Vault

Land Vehicles and Constructions Art Vault

- both created by users named Maxyall and LeonserGT (the collages of course, the art is from many, many different people, credited at the end)

There is also a procedural ship generator I came across before, where you can put in any string of characters as a seed and it will generate a ship for those characters:

http://ship.shapewright.com/

You can do whatever you want - and you choose to copy others. As I said multiple times: IMHO it's better in DU to be creative and build something unique instead of copying some other vessel. I get that some fanbois will build SW ships and I get why they do this. But to me this is just weak, not creative and against the true nature of DU. But that's just me, so please move on

I laugh when people try to mimic star-wars ship. They are so inefficient and weak. Tie-Fighters can be destroyed by a single bullet.

-snip-

[.................. I was going to post a small pic here of an example but apparently I'm not allowed to post .jpg images in this community........... :blink:]

-snip-

I'm pretty sure it is .png only? Or maybe you have to link photos.

250px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png

Nevermind, you can ONLY link photos from other websites.

For all the people who disagree with copying things: they are ideas and inspiration. You don't have to copy them. I am not a fan of copying either. They are just to give you ideas of what we could make, to boost our imagination. At least mine, anyway.

• 1 month later...

Although I agree with copying being not the best way to go, I also have to admit, that I will surely go for a Ship very similar to the Star Destroyer.
But I am not doing that because of me being a huge fan, it's because the design is more effective than the most of you probably think.

Oh and then there is the Death star, will surely aim to build something SIMILAR to that too.
Why? Not because it's Star Wars. Just because it's effective af.

I mean: If you are going to build something "unique" everytime, you will end up with the greatest shitty ships ever.