Segments - Blueprints for shapes

mrjacobean

I propose the idea of having something similar to blueprints that allows you to paste in a shape or 'block' to a construct. These could be things like fences, walls, hallways, engine nacelles, modular structures, you name it! Think of it like the 'chisel & bits' mod from minecraft, where by using different 'bits' materials you can create templates for you own blocks.

At the very least it could be implemented into the VR constructor, and maybe limited in the game world (skill rank determines max volume/dimensions, takes more time to place by hand, etc.).

Well it's a nice idea, as a ship designer any I make I would certainly not be sharing. The ability to make a curved surface in a particular way or fit is likely going to be difficult. This is what makes construction harder. The harder construction of ships is the more renown the best ship designers receive.

It's a good idea, only the real problem is it defuses the need for people to experiment with the game. Minecraft is mostly geared tot a single player mentality, while DU is meant to be a multiplayer experience, thus the same rules do not apply.

That being said, tying such a tool to a Skill, is quite redundant, since a person can paste all the bits of pre-made parts, have them on a "toolbox" on their workshop's corner and everyone can copy paste them into a construct.

Which brings us to the original point. It's not something that can't be made by players, as they play the game. If a person like a pilot has to be taught how to orientate in combat to not miss their target and be taught so by other players, builders should also have the same kind of situation.

Landmark (back when it was tied to EQ:N) was an interesting idea, since people in Alpha, taught other people of how to do voxelomancy (glitching the game to make offset voxels and all that jazz). It was amazing, you had people, teaching other people how to build properly, some smart techniques (like the aforementioned "toolbox of shapes") and the whole nine yards of building symmetries, ladders , how to hollow cylinders, ratios for offest glasses, color bleeding for microvoxels.

Then when the memo came that the EQ:N part was being scrapped Daybreak just added a default wall in the game, because, why make the game interesting? It's Daybreak Gaesm :P .

You still got to see the game as an MMO. If EVE is amazing on something, is that if you ask for help on a subject in the rookie channel, you'll get answers. Or even asking veterans of the game how some mechanics work, they will tell you exactly how to do something efficiently And building in DU should not be bereft of the need for people to find challenge in building.

What this COULD be though, is what you said at your post as "chissel". Instead of a skill that gives access to shapes, give a skill that allows "smaller" voxels, like microvoxels (essentially the same volume code-wise, but much smaller in appearence) . That could lead to some interesting creations indeed, like statuses, made of strung-up microvoxels, a tedious process not unlike chisseling marble. And... you know, much sleeker veciles, that look more spacious, while having the same armor strength material-wise.

I was actually just thinking about this yesterday. NQ did mention some copy-paste ability in an AMA. So as long as they have the functionality where you can attach pasted objects to another object...

I was actually just thinking about this yesterday. NQ did mention some copy-paste ability in an AMA. So as long as they have the functionality where you can attach pasted objects to another object...

Exactly. You can make a 10x70 meters of a panel, save it as a blueprint, then copy paste onto it interesting shapes you come up with, save the leurprint again, then when you are building, deploy the blueprint shape then select and copy the one shape you want off the panel you got it attached to and paste it on the construct you are building.

That's how were doing in in Landmark at least.

I thought they were talking about something like this in the small spacecraft building video (don't remember the exact name), and you will be able to save copies of parts of ships, but you won't be able to sell or distribute them and they are limited in a fixed size that (I think) cannot be increased.