Public Stargate Networks/Public Transport

Rather mundane topic but I think this would be quite interesting to see play out in game. Will corporations run public stargate networks? Will they charge tolls? What about in-system travel? Will people run the interplanetary bus service?

Seems like a mundane subject that is usually done by an NPC, but with DU who will do it? Will we have Player John as the local bus driver, or will we have mega corporations running fleets of custom AI controlled interplanetary transports?

I personally see all of the above happening but I'd like to hear other's thoughts in this.

Interesting thoughts and an interesting goal! I would really like to know more about the stargates and if theyll have costs associated for whomever owns them. Well, I'd like to know before I can give a well designed response on functionality.

I think this is anything but mundane. It opens up a world of emergent game play.  Particularly if you can have shared gates between orgs so you would get all sorts of trade / transportation agreements to negotiate, explorers who have less desire to settle on planets have an opportunity to make some coin by seeding star gate networks and either leasing or selling them to other organizations that prefer to settle and build cities or whatever.

anyway i think this topic which at first does kind of seem mundane, may be a huge factor in how the universe and politics in game shape up.

There is something in eve quite similar. Jump bridges. How they worked was every time someone used one it cost some fuel. We would set up a bunch of them to and create a network around a region to get around fast (skipping up to 5 systems at a time). They would be used amongst the alliance and sometimes with "blues" or friends of the alliance, but they were NEVER public.

While I do think there will eventually be some stargates that are private I think most of them will be open to the public in some way. ether by a toll or for free as they will be decently large investments at least in the beginning and are meant for interstellar transportation not interplanetary.

IFF and scanners MindSpunk. Make the IFF to be a thing people have to pay a fee to keep on their ships, every time they use a stargate, they automatically pay a fee to your empire. Like a visually recognised paying method utilised in the real world when you have a MasterCard (at least I pay like that, because I'm having personal space issues :v ).

In system travel is a fair-game. It's internal trading, not a matter of faction-wide security. If you do something bad, the local militia will gt you and given how many people will be lolligagging in the PvP corps of a faction, those people will be everywhere during the non-operations hours.

Also.... no A.I. flying ships. Trust me on this, you don't want that in any way, shape or form. The uninitiated won't understand why, but you seem to get the memo ;)

This is a perfect topic for me :D because for a few days now, I've been planning a galactic "ferry" and cruise service, offering cheap transportation to new players or those without ships. Being able to carry somebody's ground vehicle to another planet

I think how viable the gate toll business model is will depend on how easy it is to build a gate between two already charted worlds. If it's just a matter of resources and time then most big organisations will have their own gate network everywhere.

The freight business is another matter though. Regardless of how interconnected the systems become, people are going to want ships to carry things.

because for a few days now, I've been planning a galactic "ferry" and cruise service, offering cheap transportation to new players or those without ships. Being able to carry somebody's ground vehicle to another planet 

All pirate's organizations in game will be eternally grateful to you :D

Does someone knows if stargates

• Will work from space or attached to a ship/station/planetary construct ?
  • Will they be transportable in the final form (but inactive) as cargo on a ship ?
  • Will we be able to build it any size we want via voxel and attach a "stargate element" to it ?
  • What about power consumption ?

• Will they be transportable in the final form (but inactive) as cargo on a ship ?
  • Will we be able to build it any size we want via voxel and attach a "stargate element" to it ?

1. Nope
  2. Not a clue
  3. Couldn't tell ya
  4. No idea

Actually, if you wanna find more on how the devs envision the stargate system, check up what a Hypernet Gate is on John G. Hemry's series of novels, the Lost Fleet. That will explain all your answers, according to what is said by the devs. The whole Hypernet idea will balance the use of normal FTL between adjacent systems and make the stargates a tactical benefit for a mobile force.

All pirate's organizations in game will be eternally grateful to you :D

"You're....evil! I hope you buccaneers don't get into serious trouble picking on the wrong traveller. With ransoms, no pirate is safe."

Actually, if you wanna find more on how the devs envision the stargate system, check up what a Hypernet Gate is on John G. Hemry's series of novels, the Lost Fleet. That will explain all your answers, according to what is said by the devs. The whole Hypernet idea will balance the use of normal FTL between adjacent systems and make the stargates a tactical benefit for a mobile force.

I would love to read this but right now, I can't. However, i could find a little bit of info here:

The Alliance, however, has obtained a "hypernet key" from a Syndic traitor, allowing them to send a large fleet through a hypernet gate to directly attack the Syndic homeworld.

Does this implies a stargate can be private and you will not be able to open it without the key/code ?

When Geary leads the fleet to attack the Lakota star system, the aliens manipulate the Syndic hypernet to divert a Syndic fleet to the system

Does this implies stargates are or are not limited to a single destination each ?

Does this implies stargate can be hacked/jammed by a force without the keycode?

"doh"

"You can find information on what the developers think here."