KNOWLEDGE

mmyesrice

A lot of people are talking about the game as if they're going to go on and build a space-capable ship on the first day and fly to another solar system and build their own personal stargate and become known for their massive carrier ship that they designed.

I'm not an expert on this game, but I don't think it will be like this.

Most people understand what the game will be about, but in my very short time of being a forum member, I have already seen a lot of posts like this. Or maybe it's just me. I don't know.

Yeah, some people don't understand the concept of :

1) It's an MMO.

2) It has flat training times - playing more won't advance you faster in skills.

3) It may take MONTHS for the first spaceship to be build with tech enabling it to fly off-world - possibly longer with all the sabotage going on post launch.

Agreed. It is going to be a long, slow grind after launch, and many people seem to gloss over this idea. The space race will be very interesting and very fun to take part in. Based off of various tidbits here and there, the first ship to go into orbit may only take days to launch, or it may take several months; we really don't know. 

A lot of people are talking about the game as if they're going to go on and build a space-capable ship on the first day and fly to another solar system and build their own personal stargate and become known for their massive carrier ship that they designed.

I'm not an expert on this game, but I don't think it will be like this.

Most people understand what the game will be about, but in my very short time of being a forum member, I have already seen a lot of posts like this. Or maybe it's just me. I don't know.

Plus all those people who call themselves "Admiral", "Commander" or "Captain". In my experience this will be sorted out real quickly when people under those guys realize that their leader isn't capable of ...well...leading in a fps-syle MMO.

Plus all those people who call themselves "Admiral", "Commander" or "Captain". In my experience this will be sorted out real quickly when people under those guys realize that their leader isn't capable of ...well...leading in a fps-syle MMO.

I am a Captain, and I can confirm I have no idea how to lead.

+1

I am most excited for building the infrastructure required to leave the planet at first. I want to design atmospheric and hover ships early on that will hopefully catch on and maybe pay for my subscription. But again, that's really optimistic and that's what just about everyone thinks they are going to be doing: building a really awesome ship to become really rich and pay for their subscription. It might happen, it might not.

I, too, am really excited to see who gets to space first! They will definitely go down in history! It's going to be an actual space race! Maybe organizations will award the first person that makes it to space with something as an added incentive.

I am most excited for building the infrastructure required to leave the planet at first. I want to design atmospheric and hover ships early on that will hopefully catch on and maybe pay for my subscription. But again, that's really optimistic and that's what just about everyone thinks they are going to be doing: building a really awesome ship to become really rich and pay for their subscription. It might happen, it might not.

I, too, am really excited to see who gets to space first! They will definitely go down in history! It's going to be an actual space race! Maybe organizations will award the first person that makes it to space with something as an added incentive.

Well, sadly, like in the real world, people with the most connections will get the most out of making ships, hover-craft and / or buildings. Art is something subjective, so is a ship's model if it dies quickly. Everyone can make a flying box that destroys other ships in battle, given time and research and a lot of Excel spreadsheets.

However, if you plan on playing by DACs (the coupons you can buy by other players in-game for in-game cash) you can always rely on joining an organisation and taking on contracts by them, selling at a discounted prince to them but having a CERTAIN buyer for your mining goods, while you train up your skills for the playstyle you want.

In EVE for example (the only other game having a system like that and a sort spiritual predecessor to DU's type of game) you can make a subscription's worth of money, by mining asteroids for 1 day worth of playtime in a row. That means 8 hours a day mining in a safe system, for three days. 3 days you go mining, 27 you get to play for free. And that's just by mining. IF you get into piracy and do it right, you may actually make a subscription per hour. Manufacturing essential ship parts? You can make a year's subscription within a day.

It's just people think because the blueprint system exist they can make it big by having a cool looking ship. Which is not the case. In Du's realistic economy, like in EVE's, you got to apply real life tactics to make it big. That includes, but it's not limited to, networking, brokering, price-fixing, cost-cutting and sabotage.

If you can handle all those, you are good to go. If not, do the smart thing, manufacture ship parts people use for their ship designs. Learn the market, learn the meta, become a station trader and end up the Wolf of Wall Street in DU :P

I imagine that everyone's first build will be a speeder bike/hover car. I plan on making mine as disposable as possible so I can scrap them so I don't need to store them. Maybe later I will build a hover base (something the size of a house) that I can ride around in and store resources in.

I can't speak for others, but I do realize that there will be a lot of work ahead. I might have said it somewhere before, but I'll say it again: All of the plans concerning any Volcanov Corp. structures, vehicles and employee roles are pre-game roleplay for now. I will try to realize as much as possible, but also adapt to the game when it's out. 

hey man we all gotta start somewhere. This game isnt coming out for atleast 2 more years maybe. But its always nice to take what you have seen from the game and try to make something out of it. Like I saw how the design for the small ship thruster elements looked like and made my own ship out of them called the "Solar Striker".

Its just nice to plan for anything the future of this game has in store! 

But of course nobody should sit there and think that they are gonna spawn in game and within an hour be headed towards space and jump to the closest system. Even nova said interplanetary flight is going to be impossible for a couple months because we are all essentially going to be "new" humans starting civilization once more. It is going to take time to develop the technology to space travel.

i wonder how they will do it though. Will multiple orgs come together to figure out the secret and make it a awesome process or is it literally going to be just all the orgs playing on ailoth for a couple months while we wait for the technology to travel.

I really hope they make it some sort of interactive process though...that would be neat.