Getting into Alpha

mmyesrice

I payed for the gold founder pack and I wouldn't regret my decision even if I didn't get anything from it. But I've been reading around on the forums and it seems that the alpha members are selected individually, and I am wondering what you really need to get alpha access. So how are you chosen? What is the criteria? What does "alpha access key" really mean? I am fourteen, will I have a lower chance of getting in because of my age?

I am really excited about this game and I am very pleased with the progress that has been made so far. I am very thankful for Novaquark going in on this. Good day (or night depending where you are :D).

I am fourteen, will I have a lower chance of getting in because of my age?

No one would have known if you hadn't told us.   ;)

Here's the original post about it though.  I think you should find the answers in there.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/336-members-selected-for-the-alpha-team/page-1?hl=+alpha%20+team

As far as I understand it, if you purchased a pack that includes an Alpha key then you will have access to Alpha. 

The game developers selected a number of people for the "Alpha Team" who will get access regardless of pledge, but are otherwise identical to anyone who bought a supporter pack.

As to your age, no one would have known it if you didn't say it. I believe 14 puts you well below the average age of the community, but it shouldn't hinder you in any way.

Right-o, first off, welcome! 

Secondly, the gold pack will indeed grant you access to the alpha, it's part of the pledge and anything bought beyond gold gets access to the alpha. 
Apart from that, if you were to be chosen by the developers (I'm unsure if they are doing another round or not now thanks to the kickstarter), you'd have to be a good, contributing member to the community.

But, thanks to your pledge, you wouldn't have to worry too much about trying to gain access via selection because you already have it, as stated above by Lord_Void. 

As for age, I concur with the other two, no one really would have known if you hadn't have said anything :P 

No one would have known if you hadn't told us.   ;)

Here's the original post about it though.  I think you should find the answers in there.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/336-members-selected-for-the-alpha-team/page-1?hl=+alpha%20+team

I checked that out before and that's why I had questions. Re-reading it now is helping, actually. They say you should be an active community contributor, which I will do my best on, but I'm not sure if I will be able to help much because I am quite new.

Also, will there be a "final wave" where all the Gold and above members get to join in for alpha? Because I would really like to participate in the early phase.

EDIT: Whoops, a few other posts just popped up, those are helpful! Thanks!

It's worth pointing out that nobody in the Alpha team has played the game.

I saw it at PAX West but I don't really count a minute of touching the keyboard "playing the game". The guys who visited the offices a few months ago in Paris played way more of it than anyone on the "Alpha team" has. 

Anyone on the Alpha Team that was selected from the forums isn't getting earlier access than anyone who is in Alpha from pledging as far as we've been told. 

I checked that out before and that's why I had questions. Re-reading it now is helping, actually. They say you should be an active community contributor, which I will do my best on, but I'm not sure if I will be able to help much because I am quite new.

Also, will there be a "final wave" where all the Gold and above members get to join in for alpha? Because I would really like to participate in the early phase.

EDIT: Whoops, a few other posts just popped up, those are helpful! Thanks!

As far as I know, everyone who has alpha access, whether through a pledge or being selected, will get into the alpha at the same time. The 'waves' just refer to when they were selected.

Revealing my age is a blunder that I cannot go back on! Oh well, most people are usually cool about it. I try my best to act mature.

Yeah I know that alpha is not out yet. I just was wondering how it was going to work.

Thank you Code24! You answered my question entirely! That makes sense.

Revealing my age is a blunder that I cannot go back on! Oh well, most people are usually cool about it. I try my best to act mature.

I wouldn't say it's a "blunder", like you said most people are cool about it. 

Just remember that people don't know anything about you until you reveal it, but once you, do you can't hide it again. 

Yeah I know that alpha is not out yet. I just was wondering how it was going to work.

Thank you Code24! You answered my question entirely! That makes sense.

I got my age on my profile on the forums. so far the only people that bring it up are people that try to prove me wrong by saying "I'm older than you". Age plays no role, it's only a benchmark for referrence. :P

And Alpha Team Member status is just a way by the Devs to showcase people on the community that they are a positive force and a good face for the community as a whole, like Yamamushi, Anasasi and... I don't know >.> I don't read everything people post. I guess the rest of the Alpha Team Members are positively contributing.

Yes, I am not an Alpha Team Member despite my ridiculous post count. Why? Post count doesn't play a role, so don't get any funny ideas.

And as Code24 said, anyone who gets a pledge of Gold or above level, gets Alpha Access.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess this will be your first Alpha.
when it hits don't be disappointed to fast.
there will be bugs and changes heated discussions ect.
even if the end result is not what you expected, testing by it selves can be allot of fun.

its not uncommon to pick-up some new friends wile testing.

I payed for the gold founder pack and I wouldn't regret my decision even if I didn't get anything from it. But I've been reading around on the forums and it seems that the alpha members are selected individually, and I am wondering what you really need to get alpha access. So how are you chosen? What is the criteria? What does "alpha access key" really mean? I am fourteen, will I have a lower chance of getting in because of my age?

I am really excited about this game and I am very pleased with the progress that has been made so far. I am very thankful for Novaquark going in on this. Good day (or night depending where you are :D).

From my understanding they are just giving alpha to some extra people. So you will still get alpha at the same time. ALSO DUDE, THIS IS THE INTERNET WHY WOULD YOU TELL USE YOUR AGE!!!

Not really. There are some people I know who were not able to acquire alpha due to their financial status, however they received alpha through the devs. It isn't many, but there are a few.

As I should state though, it doesn't really matter if you post your age, give your current status in life, or whatever details. As long as you are a respectable, mature member in the community that does not antagonize the devs, members, and so forth, then you shouldn't really have a problem.

If you truly want to be apart of the alpha team, then just be mature, active, and act respectable. 

On another note, I believe they might select more people for the alpha at another point. The kickstarter solved most of that, but there are some circumstances where people could not/can not pledge. In that case, the devs might look at those people. I don't really know at this point.

As I should state though, it doesn't really matter if you post your age, give your current status in life, or whatever details. As long as you are a respectable, mature member in the community that does not antagonize the devs, members, and so forth, then you shouldn't really have a problem.

This.

That's exactly what I wanted to read. That's how it should be everywhere.
This makes a good community.

I'm one of the few "selected" alpha team members.

I can say that there is no difference between my status and those that purchase Alpha access.  And even though I was selected for Alpha, I went ahead and purchased a package that had alpha, because I want to support NQ.

There is no difference between the two, and you will get in at the same time everyone else does.

Alpha access is going to be granted to:

- people selected by NQ based on community activity and contribution (the lists/waves you've seen)

- backers who got packs with "Alpha Access Key"

If you are in any of those groups, you have nothing to worry about.

As far as I understand it, if you purchased a pack that includes an Alpha key then you will have access to Alpha. 

The game developers selected a number of people for the "Alpha Team" who will get access regardless of pledge, but are otherwise identical to anyone who bought a supporter pack.

As to your age, no one would have known it if you didn't say it. I believe 14 puts you well below the average age of the community, but it shouldn't hinder you in any way.

Yes ... this.  Before the kickstarter NQ picked people to be in alpha based on activity and contribution to the forums/game.  Those individuals you saw were before the kickstarter and crowdfunding started.

as from the news letter today there is "another wave of invites going out Soon" so i assume Alpha access is being done in waves which would make sense and other games have also done this before. this allows them to slowly ramp up the people on the server's 

we will get in soon i hope. i am also a gold member and cnt wait to test this amazing looking game. 

as from the news letter today there is "another wave of invites going out Soon" so i assume Alpha access is being done in waves which would make sense and other games have also done this before. this allows them to slowly ramp up the people on the server's 

we will get in soon i hope. i am also a gold member and cnt wait to test this amazing looking game. 

According to other answers you either have to be selected or have a gold status. If you have a gold status then it doesn't matter if you get selected or not, you will get access to alpha. So don't worry, you will be there from day 1.