Something i don't understand about the game

Teto3001

Hi, i am from argentina (Sorry for the english mistakes) and i'm very hyped for dual universe. However, there is something i don't understand. Everyone spawns in the same safe zone, right ? Imagine i build my base/home in the safe zone or near the safe zone, anyone could just edit/grief it ? I know there are territory units but what if i only want to make a shop/market in an area with a lot of players without controlling a full zone in a planet ? I also know those territory units are very expensive, so a new player will not be able to make his base ? 

The zone around the Arkship, where new players spawn, is a safe zone where people cannot be attacked.

Safe zone means you are invulnerable from attack and your constructs are safe. That doesn't necessarily mean someone can't just build a giant wall around your construct, which would constitute "griefing" but that's a whole separate issue from people being able to attack you or your constructs directly in the safe zone. 

If you don't want to control a "full zone/territory" by yourself, you can always join someone else's territory and build there. The benefits to doing that would be more power in numbers, and a higher chance of surviving attacks outside of the safe zone (if you join a territory outside of the safe zone that is).

Territory claims are going to be -huge-, so you're going to have plenty of space to build in. 

It's important to remember that DU is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game, so you're not going to get very far if you are totally averse to working with other players at some point in time. Joining up with another group or becoming a citizen of a territory only adds to the multiplayer social factor that the game is built on. I have to imagine the early game is going to be a race to establish territory markers all over the safe zone, but I don't believe many of those are going to be owned by single individuals so much as groups working together. 

This was answered on the DU community discord server, but basically the current answer is as yama said.

A: No one else will be able to break your constructs in the safe zone. They can probably still find ways to grief it though unless you own the territory. There will be organizations that will sublet their territories (if possible) so you might be able to get peace of mind that way.

Some other Q&A from the discord:

Q: If no one else will be able to break my construction, the spawn zone will be full of random senseless constructions ?
That prevents the trolls from just filling the safe zone with dicks that no one can break ?

A: If the territory is not owned then yes, Pretty much. That is one thing that has not been clarified by NQ completely.
Each construction has the creators/owners name on it. So it will be easy to trace who did it.

Q: I suppose the spawn safe zone will not be claimable right ? I mean, an organization can't own the place where everyone spawns

A: Yeah the arkship itself will be neutral, with some NPC traders at the beginning to get currency into the economy.

The zone around the Arkship, where new players spawn, is a safe zone where people cannot be attacked.

Safe zone means you are invulnerable from attack and your constructs are safe. That doesn't necessarily mean someone can't just build a giant wall around your construct, which would constitute "griefing" but that's a whole separate issue from people being able to attack you or your constructs directly in the safe zone. 

If you don't want to control a "full zone/territory" by yourself, you can always join someone else's territory and build there. The benefits to doing that would be more power in numbers, and a higher chance of surviving attacks outside of the safe zone (if you join a territory outside of the safe zone that is).

Territory claims are going to be -huge-, so you're going to have plenty of space to build in. 

It's important to remember that DU is a Massively Multiplayer Online Game, so you're not going to get very far if you are totally averse to working with other players at some point in time. Joining up with another group or becoming a citizen of a territory only adds to the multiplayer social factor that the game is built on. I have to imagine the early game is going to be a race to establish territory markers all over the safe zone, but I don't believe many of those are going to be owned by single individuals so much as groups working together. 

1: I expect claims will have buffers that prevent other players from building a giant wall around your construct. Plus, this is a game with ships, so it's not going to be possible to build on top of someone's claim.

2: Because safe zones are so large and...again... we have ships, it's going to be very difficult to camp the surrounding area in such away that the outskirts of the Arkified zone are unsafe.

Constructs in the Arkified zone will be safe. Leaving the Arkified zone will generally be safe. Adventuring some distance from the Arkified zone may be risky.

3: How many organizations do we have in the Alpha Team?? There will be some form of interaction. Even if it's just orgs giving free stuff to newbies and aiding them in other ways.

4: I'm not so sure that the newbie zone will be full of senseless constructs because we have a lot of modular crafting. We'll see.

5: I doubt that the devs will allow "dicks" to remain in the game... especially not in the newbie zone. Again, we'll see.

1: I expect claims will have buffers that prevent other players from building a giant wall around your construct. Plus, this is a game with ships, so it's not going to be possible to build on top of someone's claim.

2: Because safe zones are so large and...again... we have ships, it's going to be very difficult to camp the surrounding area in such away that the outskirts of the Arkified zone are unsafe.

Constructs in the Arkified zone will be safe. Leaving the Arkified zone will generally be safe. Adventuring some distance from the Arkified zone may be risky.

3: How many organizations do we have in the Alpha Team?? There will be some form of interaction. Even if it's just orgs giving free stuff to newbies and aiding them in other ways.

4: I'm not so sure that the newbie zone will be full of senseless constructs because we have a lot of modular crafting. We'll see.

5: I doubt that the devs will allow "dicks" to remain in the game... especially not in the newbie zone. Again, we'll see.

1: not everyone has a territory unit in place - there have to be other mechanics to prevent that

2: true

3: I think yama wanted to point out the mere fact that DU is a MMO - you achieve MORE when working together. There will be plenty of orgs in alpha but we will test and break the game, not playing for "real"

4: depends on what elements are implemented. Most ships will in general look the same with some differences here and there, but there's a reason why planes look the way they do. And many people have that same image in their head.

5: depends what and who you define as a dick. People scamming, robbing, killing, hilariously attack (dropping a ship from orbit on your head under the safe zone if thats possible) you? I don't see a problem - Again: fine line between normal MMO interaction and actions that should be banned immediatly

1: not everyone has a territory unit in place - there have to be other mechanics to prevent that

3: I think yama wanted to point out the mere fact that DU is a MMO - you achieve MORE when working together. There will be plenty of orgs in alpha but we will test and break the game, not playing for "real"

4: depends on what elements are implemented. Most ships will in general look the same with some differences here and there, but there's a reason why planes look the way they do. And many people have that same image in their head.

5: depends what and who you define as a dick. People scamming, robbing, killing, hilariously attack (dropping a ship from orbit on your head under the safe zone if thats possible) you? I don't see a problem - Again: fine line between normal MMO interaction and actions that should be banned immediatly

5. What he meant as a dick was an actual structure that is shaped like one

3: My point is that during the Alpha we can expect orgs on the Alpha Team to begin work designing and establishing towns and territories. By the time we go live, the Alpha Team orgs will have worked out how they wish to implement their presence in the newbie zone and newbies will find themselves interacting with and negotiating with those orgs. Especially orgs who are devoted to aiding newbies.

"Playing for real" has no bearing. There are Landmark players on the Alpha Team who, during Alpha, will be testing how we can best enhance the newbie experience for brand new players.

4: Right. I think the pre-fab elements will cut down on the "senseless" constructs. But, then, we have the example of the sprawls in SW: Galaxies, so...

5: In context, "dicks" basically refers to crafting giant dildos.

3: My point is that during the Alpha we can expect orgs on the Alpha Team to begin work designing and establishing towns and territories. By the time we go live, the Alpha Team orgs will have worked out how they wish to implement their presence in the newbie zone and newbies will find themselves interacting with and negotiating with those orgs. Especially orgs who are devoted to aiding newbies.

"Playing for real" has no bearing. There are Landmark players on the Alpha Team who, during Alpha, will be testing how we can best enhance the newbie experience for brand new players.

4: Right. I think the pre-fab elements will cut down on the "senseless" constructs. But, then, we have the example of the sprawls in SW: Galaxies, so...

5: In context, "dicks" basically refers to crafting giant dildos.

5. You mean Washington Monuments.