How does war work?

Ardour

Very true. Most wars will likely start with a sneak attack, as opposed to a declaration.

Even null in EVE is safer than what DU will be.

true, true.

I ventured into w-space (said to be the most dangerous thing in eve) after 4 months and lived there ever since. I feel more safe there than in high sec, hell I even hate to have a local chat.

I imagine DU be somewhat like that w-space feeling: never sure who is watching (there is ALWAYS a cloaky proteus), thrilling rides to other planets, watching your sensors with care, awaiting an ambush anytime.

So for pirates to have something to do and to enforce emergent gameplay upon the community, there is no need for a declaration of war. War never needs consent.

Perhaps they will implement some kind of declaration of war, just for logging's sake (so that others see if they are at war or something). Maybe they even combine that with conditions of defeat, so that is too documented. But to me, DU is a sandbox and if you wage war, the others don't need a declaration. Reparations and conditions of defeat can be talked over in discord. An automated system for that wouldn't hinder someone to betray the negotiations and declare war again or reteliate. Thus I see no benefit in such a system, except for the sake of logging those wars server-side