Ingame Names

Lemonsquid

I was wondering if there was any word yet on if its possible to change you name ingame, and if so possible to do without paying? Name changing always seemed like a basic necessity in games for me. In addition, when players are members of organizations and bear ranks/titles would they also be displayed with the player name?

No word yet on changing character names in-game. I have to believe that character names are going to be static though.

In Eve Online your name was your badge, it meant that if you did something bad to someone, the reputation went with your name. I would argue that Dual Universe is going to be very similar, wherein your reputation goes along with your name. If that's the case I'd say that we shouldn't have the ability to change our names in-game, otherwise it would be too easy to do something nefarious without any consequences.

I was wondering if there was any word yet on if its possible to change you name ingame, and if so possible to do without paying? Name changing always seemed like a basic necessity in games for me. In addition, when players are members of organizations and bear ranks/titles would they also be displayed with the player name?

-1, no need for that and I disagree.

It would render the RDMS system useless (or at least weaker), makes it impossible for players to track others and it makes spying too easy and a mess. Your name is your rep, be it famous or infamous.

I like being able to change my name in some circumstances, but I don't think that being able to change your name is a good idea. I do hear that you will be able to have multiple characters so that's something.

No word yet on changing character names in-game. I have to believe that character names are going to be static though.

In Eve Online your name was your badge, it meant that if you did something bad to someone, the reputation went with your name. I would argue that Dual Universe is going to be very similar, wherein your reputation goes along with your name. If that's the case I'd say that we shouldn't have the ability to change our names in-game, otherwise it would be too easy to do something nefarious without any consequences.

I agree. I hope they do not allow name changes, or if they do make it so you can see all previous names that a person had.

I hope they add restrictions such as not allowing numbers and random capitalization. It's ugly, and folly.

I also see no reason why you can't change your name, or why people can't have the same name, and the same last name. I'm pretty sure there's more than one person on this planet with the name John, and with the first name John and the last name Smith. Their IDs may be different, but it doesn't have to be visible. It's not like we have to separate our friend John from our other friend John by asking for their birth certificates. We don't tattoo indistinguishable numbers on their foreheads, and call them John#1 and John#2, or call them by their last names.

Only in terms of economy does a distinction really have to be made in order to avoid identity theft. If John creates something, and sells it on the market, and is recognized for his name, then some other guy comes in pretends to be him, that could cause problems. So, in this case, anyone called John is given a unique ID. Not the player ID because it's too long, but something such as John[QR] and John[3T], two capitalized letters that are easy to recognize, distinguish, and remember. This means that if you want to keep your recognition, if you want people to know who you are, for what you have done, then you have to keep your name. Your [QR] economy-name ID doesn't follow you when you change names. If you change your name from John ([QR]) to Frank, then you might end up with Frank[b2]. You're going to have to build up your fame all over again, and maybe even suffer from the fact that someone else might end up with your name and ID, and pretend to be the old you.

I mean, if you call your game Dual Universe, the game gets known, then decide not to call it Dual Universe anymore, and you lose the trademark. That can actually happen. And it's not the system's fault. It's yours.

Except, names -will- be unique, seeing as how we went through that whole name reservation process (which in turn was a reward for backing during Kickstarter). 

Reputation following you because of your name isn't just focused on markets, it's focused around every type of interaction you have with other players. Whether it's scamming people on the market, killing people all the time, or just being a jerk in chat. Your name is your reputation. Why try to make this any more confusing with duplicate names and an arbitrary ID system that nobody wants to keep track of. 

Names HAVE to be unique in this game, as it is the main tie to your reputation.  I think you should be able to change your name, I suppose... but it would require a new character.  ie.)  Delete the one your on, and start anew.  This would cause skills to be reset, and all that jazz.

I also think that names will end up being unique so things like bounties and reputation are traceable and reliable. However you will probably end up with titles and ranks to help you customiser so rather than just 'joe bloggs' you can become 'Admiral joe gloggs defender of metrocity' etc. Which will just have to do. Otherwise change accounts lol