Jump to content
mefsh

Stranded Players

Recommended Posts

The Excel spreadsheets do not lie.

 

If the projected revenue of an asset your base defends is 100 bil monthly, and you lose a base of 1 bil, for taking down a Capital ship worthy 5 bi, you clearly lost the assets, thus the battle :P

 

In such a case, screwing the attacker by totalling your entire base, processing arrays and storage, would SINGFICANLY harm the attacker, as they now need to build infrastructure of their own, so the cost definitely pile up and unti lthey have set up infrastrucutre, they can't benefit off of the assets your base was making money out of :P

 

 

Well i was more talking about a base of operations with no resource gathering / refining / revenue going on. Just a forward base with some fuel, ammo, weapons and ships to raid people.

 

If you lose your "real" base where you make money and store all your stuff (I wouldn't do that) - then you have to add those revenue losses ofc. In THAT case, the defender lost.

 

But I'm completly with you there:

 

 

 

I guess some people would say, that since the attacker will cry over the destroyed assets they couldn't secure before the defenders destroyed them, that means the Defenders who lost against a superior force should be reported for griefing. How dare they do the smart thing?

 

That's the kind of vibe I'm getting off of this thread at this point :P People will just report things they don't want to blame on their own headstrong attitude, actions and / or naivety (I'm talking scams here :P ).

 

We are pirates, we accept the notoriety and bounties that come along with it. I won't cry if my bounty gets so high that a bounty hunter org makes it their livelihood of "Opean Season : Twerkmotor"-ing me for a month. I accept my actions, I'm fine. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really all does come down to personal choice and cost vs lost. Chances are most people will pay a reasonable ransom to not lose their assets. Of course, reputations have to be taken into consideration: How certain is the victim that the attacker won't just take the ransom money and kill them anyways? For example, if they think there is a 10% chance of the attacker taking the money and killing them anyways and there is 5 bil in assets at risk, and the ransom is set at 2 bil: is the 10% chance of a 7 bil loss worth the 90% chance of only taking a 2 bil loss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really all does come down to personal choice and cost vs lost. Chances are most people will pay a reasonable ransom to not lose their assets. Of course, reputations have to be taken into consideration: How certain is the victim that the attacker won't just take the ransom money and kill them anyways? For example, if they think there is a 10% chance of the attacker taking the money and killing them anyways and there is 5 bil in assets at risk, and the ransom is set at 2 bil: is the 10% chance of a 7 bil loss worth the 90% chance of only taking a 2 bil loss?

Which is why a pirate code exists in the first place and high-sec pirates will have a hard time adjusting in DU :P

 

I guess people will realise they can make a certain agreement with pirates, i.e. "I won't pay you ransom, but hey, I'll pay you to go and frak up my competitor's business, how about that?" They are not NPCs after all, they are actual people, who you can talk to and actually convince to not attack you.

 

Emerrgent Shadey Dealings? Best Dealings :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounded like you meant my post about profits on markets

 

Well, yes, the INVENTORY. But IF there are implants (in your head!) and whether you lose them or not, is not yet defined. But I can imagine that those are lost for sure when killed.

Everyone can do whatever they want - be killed and lose 5bil or pay 2,5bil ransom. It's not a choice of stupidity or silliness - it's a choice of gain vs loss.

 

Those enemy ships may be able to destroy your base and ships worth 1 bil but your defenses killed their capital ship worth 5 bil. IMHO that battle was won by the defender, but thats just me. I don't mind losing expensive stuff, because ingame currency doesn't matter at all to me, so I will happily make such trades.

 

You simply CAN'T stop people from paying that ransom, you won't stop pirates asking for ransom - but calling all bears stupid or silly because they made a perfectly economic and reasonable choice could be interpreted as harassment ;)

 

Oh and btw: most of my ransom deals will be involving alcohol, a mic and the victim singing for me

It's a choice of gain v loss, but it's silly to succumb to ransom demands because that just encourages the "bad behavior" to continue.

Players will expect to get a ransom rather than learning that attempting to ransom is pointless for the most part.

It's silly to reward players for bad behavior. But, humans aren't immune from doing silly things.

 

Why do people keep associating ransoms with pirates as if pirates will be the only or even primary players asking for ransoms?

Ransom is not a reasonable economic choice. That's like saying murder is a reasonable choice. Encouraging players to wantonly murder is silly.

Anything can be interpreted as harassment - doesn't mean it's a valid interpretation.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real question to your long debate that going off-topic is, why would you put all that effort to gather tones of resources and time to build a stargate and let it unprotected? I believe in DU the real question is not only about how much resources do I need to build x y  or z. But have a people to maintain it. Think about the game completely driven by people. WE are AI of this game. 

 

So, would you build a city and abandon it? 

Would you even build a city if you cannot sustain a small settlement?

Would you even build a stargate not having few cities/settlements, citizens, trade network, fleet and crew? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the speculations about the game is strong in this thread

There's no speculation on the ransom part. It's a sandbox game. All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...