Stranded Players

FD3242

I was just thinking of this scenario.

A faction has just made a warp bridge connecting to another system. This system happens to be very rich in some rare ore which gives them a major economic advantage over there enemy's. One of these enemy's Manages to destroy there warp bridge.

What happens to the players on the other side? They separated from the rest of the Known universe in till one side is able to setup a new warp bridge and from what I understand that could take a long time.

I just wont yo hear your options on this. how do you think this would play out?

A faction has just made a warp bridge connecting to another system. This system happens to be very rich in some rare ore which gives them a major economic advantage over there enemy's. One of these enemy's Manages to destroy there warp bridge.

What happens to the players on the other side? They separated from the rest of the Known universe in till one side is able to setup a new warp bridge and from what I understand that could take a long time.

I assume that by "warp bridge" you mean a device that functions like a stargate. If that is the case, then that faction will just have to build another stargate. If they are unable to, I suppose they can either request help from the other side, or begin the long journey home. Of course, they could always just kill themselves and respawn back at the nearest Resurrection Node, but I'd use that as a last resort.

I assume that by "warp bridge" you mean a device that functions like a stargate. If that is the case, then that faction will just have to build another stargate. If they are unable to, I suppose they can either request help from the other side, or begin the long journey home. Of course, they could always just kill themselves and respawn back at the nearest Resurrection Node, but I'd use that as a last resort.

Suicide is for filthy casuals.

Here's my question:

So we make a stargate. Yay! Somebody goes through it, gets shot off... 25,000 light years away.

How are they supposed to get back? It wouldn't make sense for a new gate to just appear on the other side. Is it really a one-way trip until somebody makes a new gate on that side?

Here's my question:

So we make a stargate. Yay! Somebody goes through it, gets shot off... 25,000 light years away.

How are they supposed to get back? It wouldn't make sense for a new gate to just appear on the other side. Is it really a one-way trip until somebody makes a new gate on that side?

Yes, it is a one way trip until someone builds a gate on the end. Ideally whatever ship you send first to get over there and build it will have everything it needs already on board. 

Yes, it is a one way trip until someone builds a gate on the end. Ideally whatever ship you send first to get over there and build it will have everything it needs already on board. 

I thought that the jumpgates were wormhole based. Either you need two to create a connection or the gate can recreate the wormhole and you can waltz back through.

I thought that the jumpgates were wormhole based. Either you need two to create a connection or the gate can recreate the wormhole and you can waltz back through.

I remember reading somewhere you can build a gate on your side, send a probe via the long way, and when it gets there you can use the gate once to get one ship through.

Could be wrong, idk.

I'm a filthy casual and proud of it.

Suicide is what first came to mind.

I don't understand how ransom could help resolve a destroyed jumpgate.

I would never pay a ransom - just out of principle.

I would most likely just explore the new space while waiting for a new probe and gate to be built.

But, if I were desperate to return to the originating base quickly - suicide should work fine.

If Res-Nodes are Quantum Entanglement based, then Stargates are Quantum Wormholes, which could mean:

1) you build a Stargate on Point A and send a probe to Point B

2) you accelerate the warp speed of ships with materials and equipment for a stargate towards Point B

3) Jump Bridge established.

From what I gather, stargates will be very expensive.  The faction likely wont be able to just build another right away.  It's probable that this fellow will not make it as he is unlikely to be fully equipped to survive indefinitely by him/herself.  Maybe once this person exhausts their resources, they can point their ship in the right direction, set a beacon, and sleep until someone finds them.  Hopefully the ones that wake this guy are a peaceful organization or they may hold him for ransom! 

I thought there was a suicide button and you would respawn in a respawn station you set up somewhere.

If you have very valuable items on your persona, then you might want to pay that ransom instead of lose it to the pirates

I would choose to loose the items. I would never pay a ransom to other players. Ever.

That is very...admirable of you. Personally, I would do whatever necessary to achieve my own ends. If money can do that for me, by all means.

If they blow up your gate are you trapped in the system or are they trapped out of it?Provided you dont die from not having a critical resource you have all the time in the world to start setting up operations/defenses/deathstars.

As long as your not marooned in a barren resourceless system you really arnt losing out.

I like how people think "suicide" buttons work as teleports in a game where you lose everything (that CAN be lost) on your person when dying.

Some gear is too worthwhile the ransom. Especially very very very expensive implants - implants being "enchantments" or "glyphs" or tatoos from fantasy games.

The people who claim death is better than ransom, are the same people who will deploy attrition tactics in mass battles, and will soon realise how much deaths can pile up in your budget. It's a fact.

To the OP.

The idea behind the Stargates, is that you are ejected by them to the destination of a probe. You can go from a Stargate, to a place you set up probes for a jump or another gate altogether.

Your allies can simply jump back into your system and set up a new gate for you.

Which is why explosions need to be in the game. You blow up a stargate it goes off, the fleet that destroyd it or at least, the ship that did the final blow, gets wrecked in the ensuing super-massive explosion. Kinda makes it a tactical choice to go after a gate, and not a standard procedure.

they make a new portal after they gather the resources off a planet or could survive and build a empire 

I like how people think "suicide" buttons work as teleports in a game where you lose everything (that CAN be lost) on your person when dying.

Some gear is too worthwhile the ransom. Especially very very very expensive implants - implants being "enchantments" or "glyphs" or tatoos from fantasy games.

The people who claim death is better than ransom, are the same people who will deploy attrition tactics in mass battles, and will soon realise how much deaths can pile up in your budget. It's a fact.

To the OP.

The idea behind the Stargates, is that you are ejected by them to the destination of a probe. You can go from a Stargate, to a place you set up probes for a jump or another gate altogether.

Your allies can simply jump back into your system and set up a new gate for you.

Which is why explosions need to be in the game. You blow up a stargate it goes off, the fleet that destroyd it or at least, the ship that did the final blow, gets wrecked in the ensuing super-massive explosion. Kinda makes it a tactical choice to go after a gate, and not a standard procedure.

I don't care how expensive regaining inventory is - I would happily spend days regathering inventory or quit the game before paying a ransom to another player.

There is nothing in a game worth supporting the concept of ransom to another player. Nothing.

In mass battles, I would employ stealth and evasive maneuvers - I would strive to bypass attrition tactics.

Suicide to return to a home sector all depends on the specific situation and whether someone would rather spend the time waiting to reactivate the jump gate or spend the time re-gathering inventory. 

Based on hints from the Devs these stargates are going to be HUGE undertakings. You're not just going to build one with your guild over a weekend. So with that in mind I doubt they will be very easy to destroy if at all. Most can probably do is blockade one for a while I would think.

I don't care how expensive regaining inventory is - I would happily spend days regathering inventory or quit the game before paying a ransom to another player.

There is nothing in a game worth supporting the concept of ransom to another player. Nothing.

In mass battles, I would employ stealth and evasive maneuvers - I would strive to bypass attrition tactics.

Suicide to return to a home sector all depends on the specific situation and whether someone would rather spend the time waiting to reactivate the jump gate or spend the time re-gathering inventory. 

Well, the problem with Implants, is their cost really -- and the fact the stat bonuses they give, increase your skill point generation while offline and online, along with giving "set bonuses" to lockign speeds, or targetign range, or module cooldown tiemrs, etcetera. The reason people employ others to do their hauling for them, is implants. Collateral providings from the hauler may cover the cost of the cargo on an ambush if ithe cargo is destroyed or stolen, but the implants won't be covered by any form of collateral insurance.

It goes deeper than you may think. The reason haulers make mad banks, is not simply becuase people are lay and don't want to haul stuff themselves - which they are, don't get me wrong - but the idea of losing what you can't put into storage for a trip (implants) is a crucial factor on how safely people play the game.

In EVE, if you got an expensive clone with blingy implants, it's a MUST to have a second clone body (a jump clone) in order to go do casual business of 1v1 PvP in null-sec / low-sec, since your expensive body costs a lot to re-fit with implants.

And since DU has no "clones", impllants will only make certain pirates either fight with no implants (why risk it) or not venturing into highly populated areas, or even doing suicide attacks.

See, you can't have this thing I just mentioned and not have ransoms. You may choose to play without implants and have nothing to lose if you are itnercepted and without cargo to lose on a starfighter that costs a dime a dozen. I play without implants in EVE and so far, every time I was juped by people who wanted ransom, I just trolled  them, since I don't care if my clone gets toasted. I sell implants, I don't use them.

Also, in EVE, pilots are reimbursed on their lost ships if they lost them in a fleet operation - AKA war - implants though... not always. Implants cost... a lot. A Mid-grade Implant can go for 200 millions, a Vexor Navy Issue (a Tiert 2 Drone Boat Cruiser) goes for 80 millions ( 95 mil with a decent fit).

So, think of capturing a captain of a ship, who bothered to have implants on him, and he surrenders to avoid losing them. Now you got Emergent Politics coming into play. You order the captain to off himself, he loses implants that cost as much as a batallion's worth of armors for troops to reimburse his implants. People threaten to off his toon, thus making him lose the implants, if he doesn't provide intelligence, thus requriing brigs for ships, so people can be comfy while they go log in on an alt character to pass their jail-time, or provide some nice ransom - laws of war may be actually REQUIRED this way, demanding of a capturer to respect the ransom being paid.

Pirates are held to it by the pirate code, written by Captain Geoff "Jolly" Rogers. Respect the Jolly Roger.

And that's a sandbox game. Sadly, ransom is just another aspect of its emergent activities. Wait till you get to people selling protection to people, which is a nice reason to be paid for "accidentally" doing a 200 people bombing run on the Godfather's Spac-crib. I mean, I was never paid for it, I just found it funny going into a godfather's backyard and stealing their PVE loot anyways. :|