LUA Features

yamamushi

I am wondering what version of LUA we're going to be getting in Dual Universe, and what (if any) standard library features are going to be available to us.

I'm personally hoping for LUA 5.3 because of its support for bitwise operations and my desire to use an SHA256 LUA function that relies on them. 

The new iteration of LUA 5.1 was released in 2012, and the newest LUA release was 5.3.3 on June 6th of 2016. 

At the very least I hope we get some version of 5.2 because of its emergency garbage collector. 

I'm also hoping that we have the ability to load our own external LUA modules in some way, as opposed to only being able to rely on the C++ functions exposed to us. 

NovaQuark answered one of my questions on Twitter a few moments ago.

In response to my question, "Could we get any hints as to what version of LUA is going to be used? 5.2 or 5.3?"

The answer was, "5.3.1"

https://twitter.com/dualuniverse/status/817074404169515008

It still leaves the question of whether or not we'll be able to reference our own external LUA modules from our scripts or not. 

There are some... crypto... based projects that I want to work on in DU that will require me to use my own LUA modules to accomplish, so I'm hoping that we do get that ability. Although I can see it presenting some issues when it comes to selling scripts in-game and packaging up things for sale as constructs + scripts.

I just don't want to get into the situation where all of our scripts are giant monolithic pieces of code because we're unable to reference other scripts as modules. Plus if we can reuse scripts as modules then that will open the door for us to sell single-purpose scripts (modules) on the market as libraries.