Question about/over the game.

Levaritie

Hi 

Why is the game called Dual Universe?

Will there be more then one universe to explore?(fine by me) Is it just a catchy name?(fine by me) 

Thats whats on my mind. right now.

(if this question was already awnsered sorry I couldn't find it, though I didnt give it more then 4 minutes looking)

I'll be honest with you lad, I have no clue why it's called DUAL. Maybe it's just meant as a "second universe", but I guess people would cock their heads and be like "wait... is this a spinoff of Second Life?" 

Maybe it's the geometric algorithms for the voxels, Dual Contouring - well, not algorithm, but a technique they produce the voxel shapes - but I guess the name DUAL Contouring came after the name of the game.

My guess, is as good as any and trust me, it's just a guess, nobody actually knows precisely xD

And as CommanderLouiz pointed out, it's also the Duality concept, although, it means there's a binary opposite to the universe the players live in the game, which would possibly be some lore mcguffin later on. Who knows.

Obviously unrelated to your question, it's still an interesting factoid about the term "Dual Universe" - 

In some versions of the Unix operating system, the term universe was used to denote some variant of the working environment. During the late 1980s, most commercial Unix variants were derived from either System V or BSD. Most versions provided both BSD and System V universes and allowed the user to switch between them. Each universe, typically implemented by separate directory trees or separate filesystems, usually included different versions of commands, libraries, man pages, and header files.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe_(Unix)

The question of what Dual Universe means was hinted upon in several interviews, the most striking thing to me was the mention that there would not be real-world holidays reflected in-game. That is because it is a whole new universe with a new history and new traditions that would unfold leading to entirely separate concepts of holidays from what we celebrate today. 

It's a Universe that mirrors our own in some ways, but it is still an entirely separate thing. 

Wel I do believe Duality could be a subject to converse about, since its rather broad. though looking for maybe a different angle

The reason it could be called dual universe is maybe because Andromeda and Milky way have underwent the fusion or are about to in the lore. I havent actualy taken a look at the lore I should do that. but in a sense when they come close to each other the galaxies will preform a dance of sorts wich could be called a duet so maybe thats the source of the name? but to behonest this is also just a random though that popped in my head when I asked this question.

If you dont know what I am talking about there are a few simulations of galaxies combining with one another its realy pretty recommend giving it a look.

Dual contouring is a technique that existed before Dual Universe was started.  I found references to it that are ten years old, so the use of that technique might be one of the reasons they chose the name.  I would not be surprised if there was also a reason connected to the lore of the game...if it had a dual meaning.

You live half your life in the real universe and the other half in the game universe .... hence dual.  :D

The question is what do you want to be in the game universe?  Architect, engineer, constructor, leader, spy, explorer, prospector, industrialist, etc.

You live half your life in the real universe and the other half in the game universe .... hence dual.  :D

The question is what do you want to be in the game universe?  Architect, engineer, constructor, leader, spy, explorer, prospector, industrialist, etc.

A revolutionary hellbent on liberating money off of people's pockets.

A good guy, like a, like a real superhero!

• 3 weeks later...