Ohems

Wikipedia site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direction_finding

Assuming that there will be some sort of transmission system to send data packets from construct to construct, locating these transmissions is an absolute must to have feature if EWAR is going to be a thing in the game. Not only can it be used to find out which radar signature sent which message (important in traffic management systems) but it can also be used to locate and destroy ships if they use their transmission systems too much.

I'm aware that radars are being planned to the game, but I don't know what these radars are supposed to find. Do they locate voxels (of which there are way too many)? DPUs? Antennas? What I'm asking for is kind of a radar that can locate transmitting antennas but only gives the direction to them (possibly also the strength of the signal) and not the actual position. However, the range of such a radar would be way higher than that of normal position finding radars if the transmission is strong enough.

EDIT: I was a bit unclear here. I mentioned EWAR first, but since D-Scans and such will most likely be a thing in DU, the most important use case of RDF would be to combine signal contents with its direction for advanced logics, such as in the traffic management system case. In other words, I'd like to replicate this in the game: https://en.wikipedia...veillance_radar

How about Core units and their associated grid information, like mass of construct (gravitomteric sensors), power output (thermal sensors), velocity (magnetometric) and shape (radar) of the associated blueprint that is deployed on the Core Unit's grid, for the shape of the object.

E-WAR is just jamming the target's sensors, dampening their engagement ranges, jamming them from targeting and rducing reactions on turrets, aka, tracking speed reduction.

What you ask, is already planned for the game, via D-Scan (directional scan) and Probe Scan (you launch a probe for range-finding).

D-Scan is meant to give you a vague idea of what's in your range of sensors, probes can look beyond that limited range of the D-Scan and can pinpoint a ship's presence on the star map, enough for a precision warp.

"

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but who cares, it will benefit you more if you read up on this topic here. It addresses the issue you have questions about. 

Cheers.

"

"

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but who cares, it will benefit you more if you read up on this topic here. It addresses the issue you have questions about. 

Cheers.

"

There's a fine difference though. He asks of rangefinding, which is more in the realm of D-Scan.

E-WAR is just jamming the target's sensors, dampening their engagement ranges, jamming them from targeting and rducing reactions on turrets, aka, tracking speed reduction.

That's a very EVE like approach. My favored approach to EWAR is much closer to IRL situations where jamming equals to shouting over a conversation and the best way to find enemy locations is by checking where radio signals are coming from through triangulation. I agree that the EVE approach may be more reasonable here.

However, there's one issue with D-Scan in that it's nothing more than a specialized radar. I mentioned traffic control systems in my message and they are a very important user of RDF. Let's say that a ship comes in range of a station. The station locates the incoming ship with a radar, but the ship goes unidentified. If the ship is carrying some kind of an IFF tag, it can broadcast its serial number and model information to the station. However, how are you going to combine the radar location and the IFF source with each other? A real life example are secondary surveillance radars which request IFF tags as a part of the direction finding process and immediately combine them with the direction information. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_surveillance_radar

There's a fine difference though. He asks of rangefinding, which is more in the realm of D-Scan.

Rangefinding was nowhere near the point of what I was asking for, sorry if I was unclear. I did mention signal strength and location finding, but by far the most important thing is to find the direction of signals so that you can combine the content of signals with their direction for more advanced system logics.

Rangefinding was nowhere near the point of what I was asking for, sorry if I was unclear. I did mention signal strength and location finding, but by far the most important thing is to find the direction of signals so that you can combine the content of signals with their direction for more advanced system logics.

Then, to answer you question, in the lore they have mastered quantum mechanics to save people fro mdeath by snatching them from the multiverse. I guess they got quantum entanglement locked down when it comes to transmitting communications between ships. In fact, it's how informaton is streamed into the player character's head via cerebral implants linked to the Arkship's datacenter.

To put it bluntly, good luck getting access to peoples' discords  teamspeak servers and each individual ship's channels. Although, getting a spy to infiltrate a discord, get access rights and then shutting down the Discord channel during a major battle, THAT would be quite a ... jam

Also, scrambling the enemy's target systems is E-WAR, no matter how you see it :P .

Then, to answer you question, in the lore they have mastered quantum mechanics to save people fro mdeath by snatching them from the multiverse. I guess they got quantum entanglement locked down when it comes to transmitting communications between ships. In fact, it's how informaton is streamed into the player character's head via cerebral implants linked to the Arkship's datacenter.

I'm not interested in voice or chat channels, since I know just how stupid that is in the world of Discord.  ;) I'm more interested in construct to construct data transmissions, such as battle management systems, traffic management systems, IFF tags and the like. Ofc most of these can just be overlooked if there's a global chat available, but what's the point of having a register plate in a car if you can just tell the police that it's yours.  :D Why would you want to have a register plate in an open universe game is a topic for a whole another discussion and this here was nothing more than an example anyway.

I'm not interested in voice or chat channels, since I know just how stupid that is in the world of Discord.  ;) I'm more interested in construct to construct data transmissions, such as battle management systems, traffic management systems, IFF tags and the like. Ofc most of these can just be overlooked if there's a global chat available, but what's the point of having a register plate in a car if you can just tell the police that it's yours.  :D Why would you want to have a register plate in an open universe game is a topic for a whole another discussion. 

Oh, now you're talking hacking. Yeah, made such a suggestion a while back, on masking one's name and even maksing one's IFF on a board a ship.

The thread Aetherios linked to, is also my suggestion a way to have a local chat in a way that makes sense, via Comm-Arrays, so, give your feedback there as well if you like the suggestion. Perhaps we can get the Devs to notice it :P