Steam?

MYFACEISAUSOME

You can add any game to your personal steam library and enable the steam interface that way, even in non-steam games. 

Same for your friends being able to see what you play. The only real reason for DU to be available over steam is the massive audience that comes with it.

Yeah but that's not really the same as having it fully integrated and getting the benefits that come with that, having a game actually be advertised on steam (not greenlight) can be a huge benefit.

I'm not saying there should not be a standalone also, options are always good.

Yeah but that's not really the same as having it fully integrated and getting the benefits that come with that, having a game actually be advertised on steam (not greenlight) can be a huge benefit.

I'm not saying there should not be a standalone also, options are always good.

That does come with a cost though. Having a game on Steam can obligate NQ to either pay them a fee or give them a percent of revenue, which means less money for development. 

That does come with a cost though. Having a game on Steam can obligate NQ to either pay them a fee or give them a percent of revenue, which means less money for development. 

Above all, you would only start the launcher on Steam. Game download, updates, etc are then only made through the launcher. Look at ArchAge on Steam and SWTOR on Origin.

Yeah, that is the downside, I guess it's a matter of will the increased revenue of having a steam audience outweigh the steam cost.

I definitely say still keep a separate launcher, I know steam is not for everyone.

Yeah, that is the downside, I guess it's a matter of will the increased revenue of having a steam audience outweigh the steam cost.

I definitely say still keep a separate launcher, I know steam is not for everyone.

Yeah, it's a trade off, and one they will probably make. I personally like steam, but I hope they keep the separate launcher. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/17/2017 at 9:23 AM, FireStormNova said:

Steam would be nice for me seeing I have a account but no problem If its a stand a lone game.

Everybody has a Steam account, it's like the lowest bar you can set for being a PC Gamer

I have nothing against Steam, I have used it many times in the past.  However...

There are very few MMOs with a subscription based monetary system on the Steam market.  From what I've seen, the majority of MMOs are put on steam are free, b2p with a cosmetic shop, or may have been p2p but are going free to play with a transition to Steam.  And the vast majority of those MMOs are dying and need a boost in players.

Perhaps this means Dual Universe will get glowing reviews... perhaps not.  But more often than not, I see knee-jerk reactions to games on Steam.  I'm not sure what the Steam community thinks of P2P, but if it's not a good one... that will reflect on the reviews.  What's the first thing people look for in a game... especially if it's on steam?  The reviews.  Oh boy, it has a mixed rating?  Better pass this one for now.  I don't even use Steam all that often, but I always look over Steam reviews if the game is on there.  If it's not, I look at other reviews from reputable sites.

The main takeway from that above section is that people look at Steam reviews before going anywhere else.  These reviews may get the whole story, or they might not...

Basically what I'm saying is I don't personally think the whole "publicity will skyrocket with adding the game to steam" to be a full truth.  This could also come around and give negative publicity as well.  Just look at how much "flak" has appeared on this forums about the P2P model... imagine if it hit Steam, where very few if any games follow that model.  I guarantee that "flak" will sky rocket.

The majority of the games on Steam are games you play for a few months, and move on from.  The MMOs that are on there are debatable as to whether Steam has actually helped keep them alive.

Anywho, food for thought I guess.

Very well said. I agree. It might get more views but that may not lead to very positive attention. EVE has been on steam for a while and the general consensus is that you shouldn't go through steam for it