Steam?

MYFACEISAUSOME

They have not mentioned this as of yet, but I would assume since they are a brand new company and are still needing funds to create the final game what they envision it, that they would try to make steam or a similar platform support it.

but then again games like star citizen and SWTOR have their own things so who knows. NQ_nyzaltar probably so i would ask him directly :P

Hi Ausome,

This question & answer was copied from Dual Universe Kickstarter faq :

Will this be available on Steam or will it be standalone?

- The game might be available on Steam at some point, but this won't be before Beta, and if we make a Steam version we plan to keep a Standalone version available for those who don't want to use Steam.

I hope this answer your question :D

Oh who knows. I'd far rather it wasn't to be honest, as that would increase it's chance of not being only on steam at a later stage. Steam, as great as it is, is a closed platform that profits of removing the choice and compatibility from consumers. 

I asked the same thing when i first got on this forum, begging for steam!!! That is when I was more foolish and didn't realize everyone will play in the same sever... I was hoping for mods from the workshop, but realize that will never happen. Thus I don't care anymore if its on steam or not. 

the only benefit i can think of coming from steam is its massive audience. getting on the main cover page on steam would surely attract many newcomers for better or worse lol

Don't forget auto-update (both a gift and a curse)

I like the convenience of the Steam platform. It is also a good place for game discovery, maybe adding to the audience as Lemonsquid mentioned. Assuming the reviews aren't too harsh.

I like the convenience of the Steam platform. It is also a good place for game discovery, maybe adding to the audience as Lemonsquid mentioned. Assuming the reviews aren't too harsh.

I think they also take a cut of the sales, not sure how this plays out with a subscription model... but it's something to be considered.  I mean it's expected, considering they're providing a substantial service.

If the sub isn't done through steam, do they still take a cut of the sales?

Personally, I hope not. From a consumer / player point of view, I don't see any point to limiting a game to a DRM powered closed system. Of course I guess that is pretty selfish of me, since looking at it from the developers' point of view, money can be made. Money which could be spent to make the game better for everyone - which is good, and I would be stupid not to want that from my initial position as a consumer. But then on the flip side, if the game got popular without steam, that would be more preferable. 

So it's really a "juggle of opinion". I want the game to become as successful, popular and profitable as if it was on steam, but without being on or ever touching steam. Realistically, that's not likely to happen. But hey, if you give up on our dreams, you die. 

EDIT: Replied without realising I already replied to this thread. My apologies, but hopefully this also clarifies my earlier position in a bit more detail. 

DU is a MMO...you HAVE to update to be able to play, everyone is required to use the newest version of the game.

As in Steam automatically updates the game in the background, rather than having to open the launcher to manually update. Gift in that it is convenient, curse because it kills the internet when there are six of you in the same house all using the internet and your connection is stone-age.

I hope it's available on steam.  I just recently started using it and I love knowing which of my friends are in game, being able to chat with them when servers go down, etc.  I've found it a lot more useful than I thought I would. 

It is fantastical useful. I also likes how it let's you track hours played and achievements.

Tis would be the biggest upside to it being on Steam. It would be nice to follow progress and track achievements and gameplay. It could also help spread the game to more players. With good trailers, images, and our support commenting and liking the game, the game will rise in the Steam charts and could be played by a lot more people.

• 3 weeks later...

I think steam would be a massive benefit to the game in general, many gamer organisations already use steam as a communication and hosting device, so having the steam overlay/interface being built into the game makes it much more accessible to a wide base of gamers.

I think steam would be a massive benefit to the game in general, many gamer organisations already use steam as a communication and hosting device, so having the steam overlay/interface being built into the game makes it much more accessible to a wide base of gamers.

You can add any game to your personal steam library and enable the steam interface that way, even in non-steam games. 

Same for your friends being able to see what you play. The only real reason for DU to be available over steam is the massive audience that comes with it.

I don't remember the exact video maybe it was Q&A or an interview but they plan to add it on steam some time later after release, for now it will be standalone in the start but later on it will be available on steam as well. No idea how long it will be though so that is uncertain.

In a kickstarter comment: http://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Archive:Kickstarter_Comments

"The game will have a standalone version. It's possible that we will have a steam version at some point, but not before beta, and this is not 100% sure yet."

One bad thing about Steam is the possibility of negative reviews for dumb/invalid reasons, like people not recommending because of the pay model, etc.