Why aren't there more crews?

So far, no one has joined the Blue Moon Crew, so I have been searching the organizations in the community portal to see if anyone else has created a similar organization, so I could join them.

By now, I would have expected there to be hundreds of organizations representing crews of all kinds, but that is not the way it is.  I could have missed some, but I only found a couple that might have been single ship crews.  (Those were either too mercenary for me or not accepting members.)  Most were things like corporations or empires.   Of course, there need to be those kinds of organizations, too, but it seems a little odd that more people are not forming crews. 

I'm happy to extend an invite to "The Tempest Mission", which will effectively be compromised of an extremely dedicated crew on a single ship on a months-long journey into deep space.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/9819-the-tempest-mission/

https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/the-tempest-mission#tab-description

The idea revolves around the mechanic of star system discovery and the fact that we'll be able to use ships to fly to other stars instead of having to rely strictly on probes for deep space travel. Recent interviews have suggested that flying to another star could take about a week to complete, while some older ones suggested they could take much longer. 

We'll need a dedicated crew that can manage a decently sized ship for those trips, among other things. 

Having somewhat same problem, I am already part of a smallish group but unsure how well I can cope with its vague goals (do whatever, even piracy which I don't care about). 

To be honest, for a while now I have been contemplating joining the Blue Moon Crew instead... 

I guess it's because it's too early in the game to put the cart before the horse?

Yes, a ship's crew would have to be its own seperate entity as an org that belongs to larger org (Naval High Command or w/e) , but again, t is too early to be pulling crew rosters, when there's not even a game out yet, let alone ships, fleet doctrines and skill association to the need per ship size.

Making all of these plans and forming orgs/crews before alpha is fine and everything but it seems like nobody has heard the old saying "No plan survives contact with the enemy". 

I suspect what will happen is that there is going to be huge upheaval and change when people start playing the game as the material realities hit home. I always have to laugh when I look at orgs that have appointed admirals of the fleet, its amusing... I mean what fleet will you be commanding you have no ships yet!

A lot of of these larger orgs are going to loose members pretty quickly when people realize they are paying taxes for protection that has yet to exist.

Making all of these plans and forming orgs/crews before alpha is fine and everything but it seems like nobody has heard the old saying "No plan survives contact with the enemy". 

I suspect what will happen is that there is going to be huge upheaval and change when people start playing the game as the material realities hit home. I always have to laugh when I look at orgs that have appointed admirals of the fleet, its amusing... I mean what fleet will you be commanding you have no ships yet!

A lot of of these larger orgs are going to loose members pretty quickly when people realize they are paying taxes for protection that has yet to exist.

Yeah, those who are overly restricted, organized and not open to change will certainly die off quickly. As you said: no point in paying a ridiculous amout of tax or take some serious restrictions upon yourself when there is NOTHING to do or get out of a bigger one - because the economy needs time (so do player skills)

So far, no one has joined the Blue Moon Crew, so I have been searching the organizations in the community portal to see if anyone else has created a similar organization, so I could join them.

By now, I would have expected there to be hundreds of organizations representing crews of all kinds, but that is not the way it is.  I could have missed some, but I only found a couple that might have been single ship crews.  (Those were either too mercenary for me or not accepting members.)  Most were things like corporations or empires.   Of course, there need to be those kinds of organizations, too, but it seems a little odd that more people are not forming crews. 

did you check out the outfit? https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/the-outfit

Hang in there friend, the world is bound to have more people looking for activities come beta.

Right now its mostly just us die-hards on the forums and people that are desperate for a game like DU.

When there is something tangible, or NQ goes on a media campaign those in search of organisations will increase. Blue Moon looks set for success in my eyes.
:3

Hi BenFargo,

I wouldn't worry about it this soon.  It's still so early and we are not even in Alpha yet.  My own crew has become very quiet since there is not a lot of DU stuff to talk about right now.  So all we do is play other games together right now.  It'll pick up I imagine when Alpha launches and then it will probably slow down again when folks start to realize that Alpha is only a bunch of testing and get bored with that.  I think it will really pick up in the middle of Beta.   The Community page should be a lot different than it is now by that time. 

So kick back, relax and enjoy the anticipation.  About all we got right now :-)

"

(I speak for myself here, not The Aether) 

Your idea is a noble one, BenFargo and I repeatedly admire your designs and resolve to see the Blue Moon Crew through. If not for my membership and involvement with other alliances and organisations, I definitely would have signed up for the Blue Moon Crew. 

To be quite honest, you have put a lot of work into this idea of yours and hardly a fortnight passes without an update or new content for the Blue Moon Crew gracing the Community Portal. However, having a single ship and crew -- while it will have its many benefits -- is somewhat very risky. I'm glad that you took the foresight to join the CSYN for whatever reasons you may have, but a single ship in deep space is a prime target to roving packs of miscreants. 

Whether or not the Blue Moon Crew finds itself in wealth and success is irrelevant to me: you have my support--though it may amount to nothing more than verbal praise. 

I sincerely want to see the Crew succeed and I can't but wish both you and the Tempest the best. Try to garner support from the CSYN or other alliances and organisations. The more independent your crew shows itself to be, the more attractive it will be in the coming months. A lot of people flee from affiliation to large organisations and it's one of the reasons neutral groups are increasingly popular: it is very tiring to fight another person's war, especially if you have much to lose and little to gain. 

Many people don't even want to entertain the prospect of fighting or wasting resources on pointless wars. Nonetheless, it is quite easy for larger groups to promise safety and protection, even if they are words without substance. There is safety in numbers after all: the more populous a group, the better its chance of repelling attacks and keeping its "civilians" safe. Smaller groups have little or none of that assurance and the social level of such groups is also dwarfed by their larger counterparts. Not to forget, larger groups are more likely to stand the test of time, even if they lose members as water passes under the bridge. Sparsely populated groups, especially those without clear goals or unique ideas to offer (in most cases even groups that have both) tend to merge with one another, dissolve into well formed groups, or fade entirely into oblivion.

It takes one or two more people to set the ball rolling for the Blue Moon Crew. I can only wish you the best and hope that you will grow to your desired population. 

Cheers.

"

Thanks to everyone for your comments and encouragement.  I am not thinking about giving up on the Blue Moon Crew.  The reason for my search was something that happened to me in another MMO.

Their equivalent of organizations were called fleets.  I had started a fleet there, which no one had joined, but then I found out there was another fleet someone else had started that was really identical to mine--same concept, just worded slightly differently.  So I shut mine done and joined theirs, because everything was the same.  I did not expect that to happen again, but it was worth looking.

Yamamushi, your idea for the Tempest Mission is fantastic.  Your offer is very appealing, but since I am still going to pursue my plans for the Blue Moon, I do not feel I could not dedicate myself to being on the crew of that ship, and it will need a dedicated crew.  I wish you the best of luck with it.

Xplosiv, I do not think The Outfit would be right for me.  When I talk about being independent, I mean it in contrast to being someone's employee, not in the sense of being outside the law.

ForlornFoe, if you do decide to join the Crew, you would be very welcome.  If you have any questions about it, I would be happy to answer them.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Yeah might as well keep BMC alive since it is the only org like it, and when more info is released on how crews work in game there may be more interest.

For me, I'm reluctant to be in a crew-org because I don't want to be limited to that, I still want to build my own ships and do my own thing. How do you envision game-play for individual crew members?

... How do you envision game-play for individual crew members?

Things may not actually work out this way, but for now, I envision these roles for the crew.

My role will be the engineer.  I will be the one to design the ship, build it and write the code for the scripts.  There will probably be a series of ships, so we can start very small and grow larger, but never too large.  I expect this to be an ongoing process of making improvements.

A critical role would be the logistican.  This person would study available jobs and market prices, then develop a plan of what jobs to do, what items to buy or sell and what route to follow to accomplish that efficiently.

Another role would be the negotiator, who would look for opportunities were the crew could socialize with our clients and suppliers, then try to convince them to give us better deals.  I think it would be appropriate for this person to be the captain, since that might give them more influence with the people they deal with.

Much of the game-play will be flying the ship from one place to another.  Depending  on how complex that is, we may want to have a dedicated pilot or it may be something crew members with other roles can do.  If there are crew members who normally play at different times, they might fly the ship in shifts, one group taking it to the first destination and leaving it for the next group to go further.

We will not look for combat, but it will probably happen to us anyway.  There may be times when we need to fight off boarders or defend ourselves from ambushes on planets.

I do not want the crew to be only about business.  There should be times when we go somewhere just to see what other players have built or take part in some event they have set up.

The last thing I am going to emphasize is that this is a partnership.  No matter what role people have, every member can express their ideas on anything and all significant decisions will be made by consensus.

There's certainly some charm to that general idea of portraying a crew, and there's some known series out there that pick up on that idea. Firefly comes to mind, for example.

At the same time, I feel that some players may consider this to be too restrictive or unfitting for their personal needs (or without knowing of better alternatives within such a concept). Or maybe, as others have pointed out, too, they simply think the time to invest much into that is not right yet.

In short, time will tell. But I'm sure if this game will not fail and become successful, demands will be met.