Resources stats

Berur1er

It's kinda been talked about here on the forums, as in the community has talked about how different resources could differ. As for official word however, there is none. Your search turned up just about all there really is to know about reaource mechanics in Dual Universe. We just gotta wait and see!

The community does think its a great idea (Sources: Other Threads Similar to This), but it would pose a challenge for the server as it has to remember ore quality for every piece of ore.

Your inventory could store the item as data with metadata of the stats. You could also force-stack two different quality ores to average the stats out.

That's the plan. Well, sorta. Given how the devs have explained it, you gather mineral ores, you smelt them, you create materials, each of them having different properties. Kevlar? Very High resistance to EM damage, Average Thermal, High Kinetic and Low on Explosive (or w/e the damge types may be in ratios, I am not a chemist to say for sure).

This way, if you find a vein of Rhenium, you bet it's gonan sell higher, as Rhenium can be turned into Rhenium Diborides by combining it with Borax, whic makes it one of the most resilient alloys on the planet. It is used in jet engines. Those thigns are VERY, VERY HOT.

So yeah, that's the gist of it really, materials having different stats, like weight, durability and resistances that extend said durability dependng on the damage it faces, so, you may see the challenge in buildign a ship. You can build a battleship that's 100% immune to EM damage or Thermal, or Kinetic, but it's gonna be paper tanked when it faces different damage types, IF one was that silly to build a one type tank ship.

That's the plan. Well, sorta. Given how the devs have explained it, you gather mineral ores, you smelt them, you create materials, each of them having different properties. Kevlar? Very High resistance to EM damage, Average Thermal, High Kinetic and Low on Explosive (or w/e the damge types may be in ratios, I am not a chemist to say for sure).

This way, if you find a vein of Rhenium, you bet it's gonan sell higher, as Rhenium can be turned into Rhenium Diborides by combining it with Borax, whic makes it one of the most resilient alloys on the planet. It is used in jet engines. Those thigns are VERY, VERY HOT.

So yeah, that's the gist of it really, materials having different stats, like weight, durability and resistances that extend said durability dependng on the damage it faces, so, you may see the challenge in buildign a ship. You can build a battleship that's 100% immune to EM damage or Thermal, or Kinetic, but it's gonna be paper tanked when it faces different damage types, IF one was that silly to build a one type tank ship.

What I think OP was going for was the same ore (and the refined material) having different quality levels. You could have an iron that is more durable than another iron, but that iron is more conductive, etc.

What I think OP was going for was the same ore (and the refined material) having different quality levels. You could have an iron that is more durable than another iron, but that iron is more conductive, etc.

That's smelting. Thing is, many materials (processed minerals) will be used for the manufacturing of 3D mesh objects (Elements), thus you can't have iron being varying as of its stats. There's a highly conductive metal, it's called copper. There's a reason why industrial power cables use copper and not iron. Same goes for gold, it has its aspects, that make it useful.

You can't have an iron that's heat resistant and an iron that's not heat resistant. That's the realm of alloys, like Ceramic Steel (heat resistant) and Stainless Steel (highly durable).

If that's what the OP goes for, yes, there should be smelting subcategories, with alloys produced meant for different use..

That way, we can literally have materials, that are so difficult and time comsuming to produce, that will be on the level of Unobtanium, which in turn, increase the value - both monetary and sentimantal - of certain ships. If my battleship and yours are the same model, only mine has half the mass but the same durability as yours on its armor, then my ship is by default better and it will hurt twice as much if it was to be blown to bits.

In addition, having different types of steel, can enable the creation of high quality steel hulls on a ship, with the armor being of less quality, ths less expesnive to repair.

Although, if the quality of materials plays a role on avatar weaponry stats, that will be rather sweet. Gold-infused Minigun = Recoils like a mule on LSD, but it sure as heck can deliver bullets like no other.