Guild/Clan wars

DoctorCoconut

From what I've read, players will be able to have giant battles over the control of some planet (Or whatever they're fighting over) when the game is released If this is true then how will the fight go? Will It just be something like battlefront or will It be at a level where we are able to carry out combat operations involving Space to Surface bombardment, deployment of troops, armor, weapons, and drop ships, and the siege and capture of anything from based to whole large cities or continents while all the massive fleets (Something like Star destroyers) battle it out above the planet.

On a related note:  I know this question is probably going to get something like 'hopefully in the near future' I just have to ask, will the firefights get as intense and awesome as Planetside 2? 

From what I've read, players will be able to have giant battles over the control of some planet (Or whatever they're fighting over) when the game is released If this is true then how will the fight go? Will It just be something like battlefront or will It be at a level where we are able to carry out combat operations involving Space to Surface bombardment, deployment of troops, armor, weapons, and drop ships, and the siege and capture of anything from based to whole large cities or continents while all the massive fleets (Something like Star destroyers) battle it out above the planet.

On a related note:  I know this question is probably going to get something like 'hopefully in the near future' I just have to ask, will the firefights get as intense and awesome as Planetside 2? 

The combat is not FPS based, it's a mixture of lock and fire, with motion being the key in avodiance. It's an emulation of FPS mechanics, unlike an FPS' simulated means (bulelt flying through the air can be intercepted in flight and hitting someone else if they get in its path , that's NOT DU's combat).

The game is NOT focused around combat, it's Minecraft meeting EVE online. Combat is a part of it, but not it's centerpiece. So  there's no actualy reason for large scale battles to ensue. You can go to another planet, with up to 10 or 20 possible planets at the starting system alone. So no, you don't have to start fightign right out of the gate.

Technically, there's nothing preventing a ship from firing down on a planet. Howver, if you aim for cities, then you'll be met with possible Protection Bubbles that need strike forces to take down, or a arbitrary timer for them to go down (which hopefully, the devs may reconsider, but that's my opinion). Once those protections go down, then you can coerce the opposition into surrenderign or just fire rocks down on them until there's no city left.

What you define as "exciting" in Planetside 2, varies from person to person. I mainly played infiltrator and piloted a Light PPA scythe. my version of excitmeent is not the same as you may expect as a heavy assault or light assault or w/e. However, the combined arms ascpect is presen in DU, at least, iff the 650000 Euro goal is met and the Construct V Construct aspect is in the game at launch That means hovertanks, fighter jets, etc. all being used on some fights, same lock & fire mechanism involved.

However, given that ships could possibly be raining rocks from above, then I guess the fights can be quite exciting, with people on ships acting as killstreaks right out of CoD.

Cheers.

Yes it will kind of be possible. I'll add to what Twerk said. What it comes down to is that things like that will most likely be rare. Outright war between two or more factions where they are just full scale attacking each other, is not something that will happen every day; it will be expensive with the potential to have little payout. The idea sure seems cool, what with an open universe Battlefront-style war, but it won't look cinematically awesome like it does in EA's game, for reasons such as balancing and, as Twerk said, the whole lock-and-fire thing. That, and the FPS won't be nearly as in-depth. So yes, everything that you said IS possible, but it won't be an experience comparable to Battlefront.

Yes it will kind of be possible. I'll add to what Twerk said. What it comes down to is that things like that will most likely be rare. Outright war between two or more factions where they are just full scale attacking each other, is not something that will happen every day; it will be expensive with the potential to have little payout. The idea sure seems cool, what with an open universe Battlefront-style war, but it won't look cinematically awesome like it does in EA's game, for reasons such as balancing and, as Twerk said, the whole lock-and-fire thing. That, and the FPS won't be nearly as in-depth. So yes, everything that you said IS possible, but it won't be an experience comparable to Battlefront.

It won't be as "twitchy", given the Devs have taken EVE's style of combat as inspiration, you may expect even bullet calibers to play a rolle in damage efficiency on certain armor thicknesses when it comes to player armors and yes, EVE kinda has that kind of mechanism, where certain projectile calbiers will deal FAR less damage to certain armor thickness. And yes, thicker armor = slower movement. Being tanky has its cost, but on the bright side, if you got 1600mm armor plate or two, you are pretty much quite literally immune to peashooters. 

The thing is, since people lose all gear on death, this quite simply makes the game more tactical than anything. No faction will keep adding you to their super elite groups, if you die more and kill less. No faction will fund your gear needs for war, if you are running head first in a fight, without consideration for flanks or tactics or that whole thing of following orders.

Unlike Planetside 2, BF1 and CoD, dying is more than just a KD in games like EVE and DUAL. And yeah, the gameplay on ground combat may not be ADHD-oriented FPS combat, but it may end up being more in-depth and tactical. 

It would be more or less possible, but in a game as immersive as this one a war of that size could make the econmical system collapse. Most will play DU not very risk taking because of the costs of a good ship.

As we all know, what pulled the USA out of the Great Depression, was not WW2 and its industrial renaissance.

War makes certain needs apparent, one of them, being resource harvesting and a steady pay for such harvesting.

It would be more or less possible, but in a game as immersive as this one a war of that size could make the econmical system collapse. Most will play DU not very risk taking because of the costs of a good ship.

It only ruins the economy if the centres of the economy are the places being destroyed.

As we all know, what pulled the USA out of the Great Depression, was not WW2 and its industrial renaissance.

War makes certain needs apparent, one of them, being resource harvesting and a steady pay for such harvesting.

And in converse, you can only sustain such a long total war when large industrial areas aren't being destroyed.

If organisations go into massive wars to fight over a few planets on the outskirts of their respective nations, there'll be a massive, long war. If one side manages to firebomb their enemy's industrial zones, expect the war to be short.

I would fully expect the combat to end up more tactical, regardless if this is completely intentional by the DEVs. Due to what we already know about construction system,

its a no-brainer that those who invest in a tactical approach will be advantageous.

Remember the ship construction video? They showed that each module or 'core' part of your ship needs to be placed, and if its destroyed (or damaged to a certain extent) it will no longer function. This means those who build more around defending critical parts better, will likely have a more enduring ship thrusters, control systems, cockpits, landing gear? etc.

They also mentioned weight to thrust ratios, fuel/energy storage, generators and such. So this will be an important tradeoff if you want a more tanky ship, or a faster ship. You want a ship to carry more cargo, or for pure outright damage output?

Due to their being some sort of blueprint system I remember, people could pick up something and go, or you could make something unique all your own.

What I'm more curious about is to see how people will scale their cities and manage their defenses. Hopefully we'll see more info on this soon :)

And in converse, you can only sustain such a long total war when large industrial areas aren't being destroyed.

If organisations go into massive wars to fight over a few planets on the outskirts of their respective nations, there'll be a massive, long war. If one side manages to firebomb their enemy's industrial zones, expect the war to be short.

I'm pretty sure the war ended due to the nukes, not because the industries were not destroyed. Destroying infrastructure, only assists in cordinated objectives, ala french resistance in WW2, that on the day of the Normandy landing they started blowing railroads, factories and briddges to delay entire Panzer divisions by a month from arriving on Normandy's beaches. If the 3rd Reich had reached UK's shores first, the exact same situation would have taken place. There will always be people who disagree with how things go down in their territory or people who are ambitious, enough so to blow up their faction's factories on a day of an attack to hamstring the defense effort.

Also, if we learned anything out of Pearl Harbor, is to not put all your eggs in one basket, or too close to the open sea. Also, good luck firebombing something built 2 kilometeres underground ;):P

I'm pretty sure the war ended due to the nukes, not because the industries were not destroyed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

You want to stop your enemy, you stop their ability to fight back. Hence, you destroy the means of production.

Yes, it was the nukes that forced the military's hand. Unlike the numerous raids on other Japanese centres of production (which by this point in the war had been destroyed, that's why with the exception of Kyoto every city in Japan has more modern concrete architecture) the nukes were a terror tactic to get Japanese high command to surrender to the Americans instead of waiting it out and having a similar partition of the archipelago as Korea. They weren't being used to destroy factories or places of political significance because there weren't any left.

This is similar from the other end of the war, except that it ended in failure.

But DU won't be full of fanatical ideologues who will defend their territory to the death. If one side's losing and they can't produce enough spaceships to keep up, they'll go to the peace talks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Tokyo

You want to stop your enemy, you stop their ability to fight back. Hence, you destroy the means of production.

Yes, it was the nukes that forced the military's hand. Unlike the numerous raids on other Japanese centres of production (which by this point in the war had been destroyed, that's why with the exception of Kyoto every city in Japan has more modern concrete architecture) the nukes were a terror tactic to get Japanese high command to surrender to the Americans instead of waiting it out and having a similar partition of the archipelago as Korea. They weren't being used to destroy factories or places of political significance because there weren't any left.

This is similar from the other end of the war, except that it ended in failure.

But DU won't be full of fanatical ideologues who will defend their territory to the death. If one side's losing and they can't produce enough spaceships to keep up, they'll go to the peace talks.

I'm pretty sure Japan surrendered AFTER the second atomic bomb went off. In fact, it was thier emperor that had the common sense to do so, since the generals were all like "meh, warrior's honor, etcetera. What? One port city was blown to heck? So?". If those "fanatical idelogues" were in full swing on the steering wheel, Japan would have gotten many more atom bombs dropped on them - and that's something historians, given the fever of that era in history, say it would be quite the case. Remember, the USA got into the war officially, AFTER the Pearl Harbor incident. The public during that time cared little to not at all if Japan was covered in radiation for the rest of the century, if it meant they would end the war.

And here's the problem. People in power, especially in video games, lack the reasoning of people like Emperor Hirohito after Nagasaki bombing. 

You should read up in some stories from EVE, like the Fountain War, where people during the last battle stayed and fought on the home system of the losing allaince of the two, just because it was their home system. And some of those ships were pretty expensive, so that last stand was quite an ideological one.

Funny enough, that Fountain War led to the latest clusterfuck of a war in EVE, 3 years after the fact, because the losing alliance never forgot - sorta , maybe some money, honeybadgers and betting rings were involved in the mix, but that's a really long story.

But yeah, unlike EVE, people can actually operate as resistance fighters within a territory. If people can get attached to star systems in EVE, which they can't walk on their planets, I bet people in DU will become much more attached to certain planets, enough to go guerilla.