Organization Types

Haunty

I was just thinking if there were a few defined organization types that could be assigned to orgs it would be helpful in seeing at a glance what the org is.

For examples:

Alliances or Nations: Organization of organizations

Corporation: Private organization

Guild: Open or public organization

I don't know if they will do something like this, since the structure of the organizaion is entirely up to the founders. There are no real predetermined "types" that organizations have to use, it is very flexible, and can change at any time, as well as cross multiple categories.

Let's say I founded an organization. Using your examples as a reference, I could start out as a Guild, then change to a Corporation, or vice-versa.

If I decided to become part of an Alliance or Nation, that doesn't mean I will be any less a Guild or Corporation, only that I have decided to include my organization into a larger one, which I could leave at any time.

So, either the game would have to keep track of the org settings and classify it under predetermined parameters, (which I don't believe will exist,) or I would have to choose the classification myself and keep it up to date. I could be an organization of 1 and call myself a Nation if I want.

That being said, I do think that certain words will tend to be associated with particular types of organizations over time, possibly even the ones you suggested, but it will be purely player-determined.

I was just thinking if there were a few defined organization types that could be assigned to orgs it would be helpful in seeing at a glance what the org is.

For examples:

Alliances or Nations: Organization of organizations

Corporation: Private organization

Guild: Open or public organization

JC has stated they will have premade templates for an "on the go" organisation creation, like Democratic Nation, Pirate Guild etc. but you can go full custom and make the organisation as you like. Sources? Every itnerview JC ever gave about the game :P

My suggestion, learn the difference between a Company and a Corporation - not just you, but everyone.

A Company is composed of investors / shareholders, a Corporation is composed by Companies. If you mean these kind of disambiguations, that's just semantics. You may call your organisation a Guild, I may call it a Clan, if we operate on the EXACT same RDMS parameters, then we are the same thing, with a different classification. Likewise, you may call your Guild cooperative an Alliance, I may call my Clan cooperative as A warband. See? Semantics.

I agree we do need some method that makes it easier to search for certain kinds of organizations.

If types are used, they do need to be explicitly defined.  For example, if I saw corporation and guild without any definitions, I would not associate them with being private or public.  I would assume a corporation meant the organization was owned by people who were not necessarily members of it and guild would be focused on one specific activity, such as exploring, mining or trading.  Someone else might associate different meanings with those words.

A difficulty with types is the number of them will double with every attribute we use them to represent.  I think instead of type, it would be better if we could attach tags to organizations.  Then each attribute, like public/private  single player/multiple organization could be handled separately.

I think Haunty means that this should be a community thing, not a NQ thing. Like the good Captain said, these are just semantics, but certain types of organizational structures imply an amount of power that a group may not have. For instance, a one man organization might call themselves an Empire, and no matter how many members they had, you'd get the impression of ambition. Alliance implies that each group that makes up it's membership follows the orders of a single, or a small number of leaders, whereas a Conglomerate implies that everyone has a bit more sovereignty than an alliance would. It's a small thing, but it makes me happy to see orgs distinguishing themselves as one or the other.