Placement of terrtoity units

FD3242

Not much known about this imho, but there should be an update about territory units in January.

As you see in the December video from the devs, that unit exerts a field you see on the map. Depending on how this is implemented (but still: alioth is divided into hexagon and Pentagon's) it may be visible even if the TUq is underground

Presumably, this mechanic would just affect the territory it's placed in regardless of its location within this territory. 

The whole idea of the territory unit is to stake your claim to the land you live on, either way, whether it is underground or locked in a rather large fortress of death (lasers included), it's going to be a hard asset to go after. 

There have been no actual details on this and it's all stipulation, but I'm hoping that they allow you to build it wherever you choose so you can build a larger bunker network to defend it with, allowing people time and planning space to defend it. 
I understand though, it may end up being a grind if it's that way! 

Hopefully there is some balance to it, we'll really have to wait for an actual development release though surrounding just the territory unit.

I agree, it would be nice to be able to place it wherever you want. I just hope it doesn't need to be centered in the territory, regardless of whether it is above or below the surface.

If you can place it on a border, some creative defense strategies could occur.

For example, other than the odd pentagonal tiles, all territories will be hexagons. This means that at each corner, your tile is "sharing" a corner with two other tiles.

If you work together with your neighbors that share a corner, you could all place your TUs on corners that touch. Why? You would only need to defend roughly 1/3 the area you otherwise would have! This means, if you put the same amount of resources into the defensive structure, it will be 3 times stronger than it would have been.

Not saying that it is a great idea, but it's not a bad one.

Of course, like anything, it has downsides, but you have to take the bad with the good.

I agree, it would be nice to be able to place it wherever you want. I just hope it doesn't need to be centered in the territory, regardless of whether it is above or below the surface.

If you can place it on a border, some creative defense strategies could occur.

For example, other than the odd pentagonal tiles, all territories will be hexagons. This means that at each corner, your tile is "sharing" a corner with two other tiles.

If you work together with your neighbors that share a corner, you could all place your TUs on corners that touch. Why? You would only need to defend roughly 1/3 the area you otherwise would have! This means, if you put the same amount of resources into the defensive structure, it will be 3 times stronger than it would have been.

Not saying that it is a great idea, but it's not a bad one.

Of course, like anything, it has downsides, but you have to take the bad with the good.

And three times the risk of one of your friends betray you, knowing or unknowingly.

I'm pretty sure jc said in some interview there will be both tiles, can't remember where though. Maybe the ama

And three times the risk of one of your friends betray you, knowing or unknowingly.

True, which is why I said it may or may not be a good idea. It would depend on the risk you are willing to take.

However, if you were an organization purchasing multiple territories....not much risk there unless someone actually gets to one of the TUs.

I'm pretty sure jc said in some interview there will be both tiles, can't remember where though. Maybe the ama

Not exactly sure what you are referring to here, unless it was my comment about tile shapes. In which case; yes, they have said that every planet will have a few pentagonal tiles, since it is impossible to equally divide a planet using normal shapes without them.

Presumably, this mechanic would just affect the territory it's placed in regardless of its location within this territory. 

The whole idea of the territory unit is to stake your claim to the land you live on, either way, whether it is underground or locked in a rather large fortress of death (lasers included), it's going to be a hard asset to go after. 

There have been no actual details on this and it's all stipulation, but I'm hoping that they allow you to build it wherever you choose so you can build a larger bunker network to defend it with, allowing people time and planning space to defend it. 

I understand though, it may end up being a grind if it's that way! 

Hopefully there is some balance to it, we'll really have to wait for an actual development release though surrounding just the territory unit.

on the video, it seems to be in the middle of the area (surface).

most probably will cover the underground as well. Just hope it can be hidden

on the video, it seems to be in the middle of the area (surface).

most probably will cover the underground as well. Just hope it can be hidden

As a balancing technique, I think attackers may be able to get a waypoint directly to the TU (you can run, but you cant hide)

As a balancing technique, I think attackers may be able to get a waypoint directly to the TU (you can run, but you cant hide)

You say balancing... I hear pointless.

Where's the TU? Where the obvious barricaded citadel is. Also, TUs can't run, but good luck storming a fortified position with enough ammo and supplies to outlast your limited assault window, logistics-wise :P .

Also, a Leadership training tool should be to have acces on assigning waypoints for a squad or whole group on a planet (ala Planetside 2).

Because cities, need power-plants. Just saying.

You say balancing... I hear pointless.

Where's the TU? Where the obvious barricaded citadel is. Also, TUs can't run, but good luck storming a fortified position with enough ammo and supplies to outlast your limited assault window, logistics-wise :P .

Which is clearly where the need for inside spies and infilitrators comes in. Because unless you have a ridiculous amount of supplies and reinforcements, you're not getting through to that TU without someone on the inside. Even then, it's doubtful.

Which is clearly where the need for inside spies and infilitrators comes in. Because unless you have a ridiculous amount of supplies and reinforcements, you're not getting through to that TU without someone on the inside. Even then, it's doubtful.

Hey, if there's a way to circumvent the RDMS protocols within a TU, I know a few people who would love nothing more than go in a territroy and using explosives to get to a TU and shutting it down, you know like some actual shocktrooper kind of thing..

Of course, said level of skill training worth of powers, would have to take at least 160d to unlock, with at least a total of 240d of sill training for a person to not be a joke in combat, similar to how many cloaky ships work in EVE. You can learn how to fly a cloaky ship in 30 days, but you needl ike 65 to not be beaten by a slight wind in your general direction.

I mean, infiltration - both scoietal and combat alike - is the realm of rogues and we all know that if ther's a choice of going rogue from day one on a player's experience in the game, 99% of the tweens will go play rogue, which is why EVE done the whole "ninja" thing right. You need time to invest into being a cloaky assassin and so should this goes for DU in my opinion.

Those 160 days of unlocking the ability to use an armor or armor module to be able to circumvent the RDMS of a city's TU, is there to guarantee that spies can emerge, along with elaborate doctrines of building a maze towards the TU - as the TU may actually need some sort of fuel to remain active. It's a machine, not an enchantment. You need a map provided by a person who seen the area, there's no acctual way of someone itroducing a map to you otherwise. 

And for the record, most cloaky ships in EVE are not actually that tanky, or that good at damage, they are just a one trick pony with a very high skill cap, that only work in conjunction with each other, so, people don't need to panic about "army of ninjas marching in yo crib, stealin' yo territory". In EVE, a stealth cloak goes down if anythignets gets to close to them. In DU, it can be made that cloaks go down if a person gets too close to you - or what I WOULD like to happen, being translucent and not showing a target frame when "locked" upon, but still beng possible to be shot and having your cloak taken down. 

And you may ask "what this has to do with my comment though Twerk?". To this I say... how will your spy, circumvent the RDMS of a territory, if there's no way to circumvent the territory.'s RDMS, either that being Post-Advanced Hacking V (150d training time to circumvent any level of TU's RDMS, with Safezones being excluded), or Combat Recon Armor Training (160d training, makes you immune to RDMS protocols,medium grade armor, switches jetpack for the privilege of being imune to D-Scan and RDMS protocols) ? Now you see, the training timers act as a buffer period post launch, so such emergent doctrines around building can exist in the first place ... as well as some leaders of certain orgs angering someone in their highest echelon so much, that they decide to backstab the entire org.

Also, if you don't hoard a ridiculous amount of supplies on a place that is considered as of high value to outlast a siege, you did something wrong. :|