HurrayItsRaining

Agriculture Gameplay  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like DU to have forestry, farming, ranching activites?

• Yes, I would welcome the extra immersion and gameplay opportunities
    • No, I don't want to see farms in DU.
    • Maybe, but it would be low on my feature wishlist.

Food meters are for survival games, not crafting MMOs. If I have to just once stop what I am doing to go fetch food then the mechanic is nothing more than an annoyance.

Fine if it's just buffs and giggles, but is it really worth the effort of implementing a food growing mechanic then?

I'd much rather see NQ focus more on immersive mechanics for oxygen.

http://www.dualthegame.com/

Dual Universe is a Continuous Single-Shard sandbox MMORPG taking place in a vast Sci-Fi universe, focusing on emergent gameplay with player-driven in-game economy, politics, trade and warfare. Players can freely modify the voxel-based universe by creating structures, spaceships or giant orbital stations, giving birth to empires and civilizations.

It's a sandbox MMORPG. It's as much about crafting, as it is about anything else.

Food and depletion of it, means that griefers gotta bail back to their base. It also means that an organisation within a safezone can be sieged and forced to surrender (aside from other factors, like possible renting of space within safezones).

What, should the game also have no fuel for a ship? So people can perma-camp an area 24/7 ?

You need to think those aspects as well. Having a depleting bar of hunger, only makes the game more dynamic - and adds variety in gameplays.

Just because you like crafting doesn't mean that everyone else's gameplay should be ignored. I don't give a damn about spaceship battles, I don't claim "the game is about ground combat, we don't need spaceboats".

http://www.dualthegame.com/

It's a sandbox MMORPG. It's as much about crafting, as it is about anything else.

Food and depletion of it, means that griefers gotta bail back to their base. It also means that an organisation within a safezone can be sieged and forced to surrender (aside from other factors, like possible renting of space within safezones).

What, should the game also have no fuel for a ship? So people can perma-camp an area 24/7 ?

You need to think those aspects as well. Having a depleting bar of hunger, only makes the game more dynamic - and adds variety in gameplays.

Just because you like crafting doesn't mean that everyone else's gameplay should be ignored. I don't give a damn about spaceship battles, I don't claim "the game is about ground combat, we don't need spaceboats".

Von Oben.

It also means "pirates", explorers and lonewolves are locked to their bases. A mechanic doesn't add positively to the game just because it is a mechanic. More layers of mechanics doesn't equal more depth. How can you create emergent gameplay if you are constrained by mechanics?

As I said I would much rather see mechanics, such as oxygen, fitting to their vision and this game genre in general.

I'm not even particularly fond of crafting. I just recognize DU to be a sandbox, crafting MMORPG, not a survival game. My point is a food mechanic would either be an annoyance to the broader populace or an unnecessary mechanic to the minority who wants another bar to fill.

Von Oben.

It also means "pirates", explorers and lonewolves are locked to their bases. A mechanic doesn't add positively to the game just because it is a mechanic. More layers of mechanics doesn't equal more depth. How can you create emergent gameplay if you are constrained by mechanics?

As I said I would much rather see mechanics, such as oxygen, fitting to their vision and this game genre in general.

I'm not even particularly fond of crafting. I just recognize DU to be a sandbox, crafting MMORPG, not a survival game. My point is a food mechanic would either be an annoyance to the broader populace or an unnecessary mechanic to the minority who wants another bar to fill.

You seem to assume logistics should not be a part of the game... at all.

You plan on going for a roam and PvP with your buddies? Pile up on supplies.

You can't call a game a "crafting sandbox". Is like calling a swiss army knife a bottle opener knife. It's an oxymoron. 

You confuse emergent gameplay with "things I like". Emergent gameplay means something may be there for one use, but players utilise it for another. Agriculture makes green worlds preferable for farmers. It also makes agriculture a part of creating an underground base, as it provides survivability without dependency, like for outposts for PvPers and refuelling / resupplying outposts. It also means that people can choose to set up plantations near a trading zone, so that trading zone becomes a food producttion center. That's Emergent Gameplay.

What you consider your "their visiion of the game" is your vision of the game. But hey, I guess people who operate refuelling stations in the game are idiots as well, since they don't fit your vision. People who run logistics for a staging base of an org? Idiots, they don't craft, they use excel all day to figure out how to make supplies last until the next attack by their enemies. Traders? Idiots as well, they don't craft at all, they just run excel sheets to figure out margins of profit.

As JC said in his interview to Markeedragon, the game is about Risk and Reward. That means that if you plan on going for exploration to find a planet that is full of Unobtanium-1337, then you risk dying by survival elements. Fuel is one of those elements of survival. Like it or not, the armor a player has also will run of power for its functions , AKA, no infinity oxygen or infinite jetpack. If hunger is tied to the lore part of how the nanoformer works, I'll be fine with it, it only means the game becomes more risk and reward. You go away from a place where you can find food easily? You took a risk and you'll reap the rewards of it if you succeed. if not, you'll lose everything you got on your person.

It's that simple really. That's what Emergent Gameplay is about.

Von Oben.

Quite the opposite, my dear man. They are not locked in, they NEED to venture out there to find food and pile it up. They NEED to go out there to find/craft fuel and pile it up. Then they can move on.

If you don't have such mechanics (doesn't matter what kind of resource runs out) then it leads to camping a base/stargate/traderoute 24/7 without the need of, as tweak said, supply lines. A reasonably large org across all TZs can do that with ease. If they need to worry about supply lines, you maybe got a less defended objective (freighters with supplies) to kill in order to hamper their efforts.

Such a mechanic can be a credit sink too, to handle inflation. There are not many sinks in a game like DU so the few we got need to be worthwhile

You seem to assume logistics should not be a part of the game... at all.

You plan on going for a roam and PvP with your buddies? Pile up on supplies.

You can't call a game a "crafting sandbox". Is like calling a swiss army knife a bottle opener knife. It's an oxymoron. 

You confuse emergent gameplay with "things I like". Emergent gameplay means something may be there for one use, but players utilise it for another. Agriculture makes green worlds preferable for farmers. It also makes agriculture a part of creating an underground base, as it provides survivability without dependency, like for outposts for PvPers and refuelling / resupplying outposts. It also means that people can choose to set up plantations near a trading zone, so that trading zone becomes a food producttion center. That's Emergent Gameplay.

What you consider your "their visiion of the game" is your vision of the game. But hey, I guess people who operate refuelling stations in the game are idiots as well, since they don't fit your vision. People who run logistics for a staging base of an org? Idiots, they don't craft, they use excel all day to figure out how to make supplies last until the next attack by their enemies. Traders? Idiots as well, they don't craft at all, they just run excel sheets to figure out margins of profit.

As JC said in his interview to Markeedragon, the game is about Risk and Reward. That means that if you plan on going for exploration to find a planet that is full of Unobtanium-1337, then you risk dying by survival elements. Fuel is one of those elements of survival. Like it or not, the armor a player has also will run of power for its functions , AKA, no infinity oxygen or infinite jetpack. If hunger is tied to the lore part of how the nanoformer works, I'll be fine with it, it only means the game becomes more risk and reward. You go away from a place where you can find food easily? You took a risk and you'll reap the rewards of it if you succeed. if not, you'll lose everything you got on your person.

It's that simple really. That's what Emergent Gameplay is about.

I do not assume anything about your logistics. If they implement mechanics and features that emerge logistics then goodie. I'd rather not see mechanics prone to logistics implemented just because logistics though. You seem hell-bent on wanting to implement features forcing people to perform gameplay you like, un-emergently. Kind of defeats the point in my opinion.

Emergent gameplay is about a set of simple but effective gameplay mechanics that give players the freedom to develop own functions and norms in-game and in the meta - not "annoying mechanics I like".

Have you any concept of mechanics potentially being a hindrance in a sandbox MMO? 'Cause that's all I'm saying. Implementing too many annoying mechanics and features is the opposite to emergent gameplay.

Quite the opposite, my dear man. They are not locked in, they NEED to venture out there to find food and pile it up. They NEED to go out there to find/craft fuel and pile it up. Then they can move on.

If you don't have such mechanics (doesn't matter what kind of resource runs out) then it leads to camping a base/stargate/traderoute 24/7 without the need of, as tweak said, supply lines. A reasonably large org across all TZs can do that with ease. If they need to worry about supply lines, you maybe got a less defended objective (freighters with supplies) to kill in order to hamper their efforts.

Such a mechanic can be a credit sink too, to handle inflation. There are not many sinks in a game like DU so the few we got need to be worthwhile

As I've stated several times, I do indeed welcome mechanics fitting to the theme, vision and game genre. I do however deplore the implementation of mechanics just for the sake of implementing mechanics in a game with a vision of emergent gameplay.

I do look forward to broad mechanics for fuel and oxygen giving emergent gameplay.

Also, as a sidenote. It can be argued that resource-based supply system has little to no effect on large organizations. Depending ofcourse on the implementation of said mechanic, it might even give large organizations an advantage considering they have larger access to resources than other entities in-game. But meh.

There are two large camps, the ones who want food and those who don't. Agriculture would only be a big thing if we need food or something that we can grow but a lot of us who do want food don't want it to be a chore that your always having to stop and do. Many different things can be done with plants IRL and I would love to see a number of them implemented ingame in some way and it would allow an easy way to get into and start communities as they would, at least as the start, congregate around the food and other supplies that they need.

There are two large camps, the ones who want food and those who don't. Agriculture would only be a big thing if we need food or something that we can grow but a lot of us who do want food don't want it to be a chore that your always having to stop and do. Many different things can be done with plants IRL and I would love to see a number of them implemented ingame in some way and it would allow an easy way to get into and start communities as they would, at least as the start, congregate around the food and other supplies that they need.

Agreed. I would like to see plants or renewable resources used in more industrial processes as well. Perhaps it wouldn't even have to all be plant based. Perhaps it could be algae that is grown in large vats and then distilled down for materials. I would also like to see an indepth refining and processing system, although that will probably come later.

Agreed. I would like to see plants or renewable resources used in more industrial processes as well. Perhaps it wouldn't even have to all be plant based. Perhaps it could be algae that is grown in large vats and then distilled down for materials. I would also like to see an indepth refining and processing system, although that will probably come later.

Since I'm from a rural area that does this, plants (like flowers) could be used for making dye (not to be confused with paint, paint is made out of plastics). So, when more customisations come into the game (like choices of non-armor clothing) there's a thing agriculture can produce en masse. Other than that, we all know that drugs need some exotic herbs that grow only on certain biomes, the kind of biomes that do not sustain human life and is a resource sink to live there 24/7 and grow said plants, so it's risky and rewarding.

End-game farming pretty much, growing space-meth in the equivalent to India on August, turned up to 11 in unsustainability.

That's no small thing there. Some people may choose to live in a buzzing city and some will like living in a form of rural setting in the game. Many people view the game as either Space Legos or EVE 2.0 .There's a fine diffeence in it, that it's a sandbox MMO and RP can go a long way, especially if the RPer can actually do things in the game itself, instead of treating the game as a MUD, rather than something created in 2017. 

People need to remember why Star Wars Galaxies died. It was because the devs assumed nobody wanted to RP as Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. Which is not true. Not everyone has a power fantasy. I personally would love to have a farm and RP as the crazy hermit that has warning signs reading : "Since bullet prices went up, there won't be a warning shot if you trespass". 

Since I'm from a rural area that does this, plants (like flowers) could be used for making dye (not to be confused with paint, paint is made out of plastics). So, when more customisations come into the game (like choices of non-armor clothing) there's a thing agriculture can produce en masse. Other than that, we all know that drugs need some exotic herbs that grow only on certain biomes, the kind of biomes that do not sustain human life and is a resource sink to live there 24/7 and grow said plants, so it's risky and rewarding.

End-game farming pretty much, growing space-meth in the equivalent to India on August, turned up to 11 in unsustainability.

That's no small thing there. Some people may choose to live in a buzzing city and some will like living in a form of rural setting in the game. Many people view the game as either Space Legos or EVE 2.0 .There's a fine diffeence in it, that it's a sandbox MMO and RP can go a long way, especially if the RPer can actually do things in the game itself, instead of treating the game as a MUD, rather than something created in 2017. 

People need to remember why Star Wars Galaxies died. It was because the devs assumed nobody wanted to RP as Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. Which is not true. Not everyone has a power fantasy. I personally would love to have a farm and RP as the crazy hermit that has warning signs reading : "Since bullet prices went up, there won't be a warning shot if you trespass". 

yes but even those people will need some of the supplies at some point most likely and it would be cool if we could find ways to integrate the farms into cities and such (and maybe banish those crazy hermits to a volcano far away)

yes but even those people will need some of the supplies at some point most likely and it would be cool if we could find ways to integrate the farms into cities and such (and maybe banish those crazy hermits to a volcano far away)

Well, a 100km radius planet - while not as big as Earth - is big nonetheless. You can have farms and a large city on the same planet. And if the demand exceeds the supply, good old capitalism will come to save the day. It's a realistic economy after all. Supply and demand will sort things out.

Which as I said earlier, is why food is needed (not hunger neccessarily, just food acting as "rechanrger" for bodily energy ), as well as agriculture following some of the "manufacturing" aspects (fertilisers being needed that other professions can make, etcetera). So sieges can have an effect when the enemy is barricaded within a safezone. And of course, smuggling food past a blockade could end making you the Onion Knight - or w/e you end up smuggling through.

And I'll be the first to say it though, that if agriculture is not on launch, it won't be a deal breaker, but it's something that adds a lot of depth into the game and affects everything. Just think of all the daily jobs people could do by working for another person's farm. DU could redefine the term "farming" for newbros and people in general :P

I really like this idea but not at launch, this would be an update down the line.

Food is something that should act more like a buff/debuff rather than something that will cause you to starve to death. Games like ARK are really annoying because you burn calories in that game at an insane rate, like seriously you don't need to eat every 5 minutes!

It should be like if you don't eat for several hours you get a "hungry" debuff that makes you a bit slower and your aiming a bit worse, nothing that would bother you if you are standing around in a safe area building but enough of an edge that it becomes a factor in PVP

The ark ship should give out free "nutrient paste" a bland tasteless food that is just enough to remove this debuff. 

Coffee could heighten your senses, make your aim better and give you a better results from crafting. Perhaps even narcotics, that cause you to have a severe withdrawal debuff when it wears off

Farming should be as involved as mining, I'm thinking there could be areas with high/low PH, Nitrogen, Temperature, sunlight, presence of water as well as each planet having its own atmospheric properties. Finding a good place to farm potatoes should make a significant difference to growth rate. And if you want to invest the skill points you should be able to make hydroponic bays for growing food in space.

It is safe to say that implementing food into the game would be difficult to monitor and should probably be later down the road, but what if crops were implemented for more of a materialistic aspect. Hear me out;

If they implement crops but there is no use for them, then it will be a part of the game no one will try out because it will basically be useless. The only use for them would be if they introduced a hunger/health/mana bar (talked about in another thread), or would it? 

What if they used crops to grow material. You can build factories or machines that turn 100 wheat and 100 tatos into 1 fuel (whatever the fuel counting may be called). This way there will be a reason to grow mass amounts of crops and it will be a useful part of the game that entire orgs may focus on.

Along with this, there could be an element where you genetically modify crops to start growing materials. You find crops only on certain planets, genetically modify them, turn them into a special material only for agriculture. From there you use that material to build a special machine that processes other plants and materials to get new crops/materials. So on an so forth to where you get to plants that grow materials/fuel. This process from growing tatos to growing material would be a very long tree where you would have to find various plants of different types of planets, and turn them into machines. The plants would produce no seeds so you can only make the plant by following the 'agriculture tree.' You can't just make 1, collect a bunch of its seeds, then sell them, but you can sell these very rare, hard to make plants individually if you wanted to.

These two elements could jump start a cool type of player. Botanists that focus on growing material and flying/exploring different planets to find these special plants. Depending on the type of planet, it can house a certain number of plants, but you can only find those plants on that type of planet.

• 3 weeks later...

I pretty much just want agriculture for the Aesthetics and for creating a new job type. One of Dual Universe's greatest strengths is job variety, so in other words just more stuff to do. If you're tired of being a miner, you can become a trucker. If you're tired of being a trucker, you can become a farmer. If you're tired of being a farmer, you can become a hunter! And so on and so on. Basically I welcome any new activity to Dual Universe, for the sake of variety. 

Also back to Aesthetics, just imagine gorgeous meadows of wheat surrounding a cool futuristic city. Imagine being in a small quaint farming town, and in the distance there's a futuristic city that contrasts the quaint rural town. There's just something about having a the contrast of a low-tech village next to a high-tech city which just seems very beautiful. As long as farms look beautiful, they're worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

There could be two ways of farming crops. The first is manual where nearly everything requires player interaction, either via avatar or player piloted construct (farm vehicles). The second could be automated, where you set up the farm as before, but you have rails on which mechanical arms move across, tending and harvesting the crops. The rails and arms would be part of the same construct as the farm itself, with the arms just being animation (not actually there, to save processing power) and rails being a special element. The automated version of farming could be slower than manual farming and could require heavy maintenance (like a starship) to keep it running at optimal levels

Aside from automation, there is also the matter of crop habitability, where crops from a desert planet could require additional elements nearby to provide the correct environment for growth on another biome (such as an ice planet). This might also be required if the farm is underground (no natural light) or in space (no large ecosystem)

If there is a Food bar, it could deploy slowly, so it holds several real-time hours from full to empty, fill up with one quick meal that takes arround 2 seconds to do, does not deploy when offline, and Food is really easy to create and cheap to buy for that reason. Empty Food-Bar doesnt have to mean death from starvation. It could also mean a signifficant debuff, like blurry vision, inabillity to run, low walk speed and reduced stats, so every damage taken while starved is more severe, for exemple.
Thats My oppinion.

If implemented this way, there would be a survival element to the game, but it wouldnt take over.
You would need food supply, but it would be about the easiest thing to build, no matter if thats by buying it from a trader or growing it in a Farm that could be automated later...
Searching for Food would only stop you from dooing other Things, instead of delay or pause them for 2 seconds to 5 minutes, in extreme situations, when you are stranded alone on a remote planet with no fuel in your spaceship and your reserves are running short.
That could actually be a really Fun to roleplay some Space-Robinson-Crusoe scenario.

I havent decided yet if I will actually buy and play the game. It depends if it keeps what it promises, and on how the stuff it promises actually works in detail.
I also never played MMO. I do play Minecraft and Sims, but thats not the same thing.
But if I do decide to play DU, and it has Agriculture, I would like to run a company that cooperates with other organisations who build and inhabit cities by building and running sky scraper greenhouses, where all the Farming happens on several layers on top of each other indoors in the middle of the city.
It would have the following adventages: Shorter food supply lines for the city, climate and weather are not an issue when it comes to seeding and harvesting, constant food supply even when the city is surrounded and some agressor tried to starve it out by isolateing it from supplies.

i think that Life is feudal is good example how can food be implemented in a game. If you dont eat you will die in 1-2 hours but it is very easy to find food. Food in Life is feudal is giving you bonus to skill gaining. Depends on food quality and complexity how much bunus will you get. If you eat best possible food you can increase your skill gain speed 5 times but of course making best food takes time and skilled farmer and cook. - That is how i think food should be implemented.... if you take your time and effort you will be reworded.

i think that Life is feudal is good example how can food be implemented in a game. If you dont eat you will die in 1-2 hours but it is very easy to find food. Food in Life is feudal is giving you bonus to skill gaining. Depends on food quality and complexity how much bunus will you get. If you eat best possible food you can increase your skill gain speed 5 times but of course making best food takes time and skilled farmer and cook. - That is how i think food should be implemented.... if you take your time and effort you will be reworded.

Which again only favors 24/7 gamers. Time dependent XP boosts are always unfair to the vast majority of players. Buffs for PvP, mining amount or anything like that is ok. Players who have more time to play still got a huge advantage: they have more money and therefore more resources to spend on ships/bases. No need to give them even more

Which again only favors 24/7 gamers. Time dependent XP boosts are always unfair to the vast majority of players. Buffs for PvP, mining amount or anything like that is ok. Players who have more time to play still got a huge advantage: they have more money and therefore more resources to spend on ships/bases. No need to give them even more

Looks i wasnt clear .... you dont have to play 24/7 but it takes long in game time to grow high quality food but i dont see why people should not be reworded for time spended gaming? Its like you would say that -  its not fair you mined more ore than me just because you spend more time in a game.

Looks i wasnt clear .... you dont have to play 24/7 but it takes long in game time to grow high quality food but i dont see why people should not be reworded for time spended gaming? Its like you would say that -  its not fair you mined more ore than me just because you spend more time in a game.

They ARE already rewarded because they have more money/resources/ships/bases. There is absolutely NO NEED to even widen the gap because they get a skillboost too

Take a look at the poll peeps. It speaks for its self. By the way IF a feature like this were to be put into the game it would need to be in on release, at least the base functionality. This would be a major feature that would either make or break the game for a good majority of people.

Take a look at the poll peeps. It speaks for its self. By the way IF a feature like this were to be put into the game it would need to be in on release, at least the base functionality. This would be a major feature that would either make or break the game for a good majority of people.

The survival update is on the roadmap, but not for release. Maybe the second big patch (first one wI'll be cvc when goals aren't met). That's said we still have to wait for nq to state their opinion on this matter. Afaik jc talks about it in some ama video but nothing in depth

• 2 weeks later...

The simple solution I see?

Food works on a day by day basis. Once you eat for a day you don't need to eat again. All food give as certain amount of action points of recovery from working hard or bunny hopping to much. After you've used up your food you can chose to eat again to quickly recover your stamina, but its not required. Simply resting will do the trick.

Food has a range of values:

Tasty Paste: Produced by the Ark, you can get it from any vending machine along the base of the Ark itself by scanning your arm.  You can even stock up on it a week at a time. The paste kind of like Twinkies in that it never goes bad but the only thing it does is sate your appetite and you might go insane from eating the same thing day in an day out. You eat it, you get back what you started. Your fabricator can even make it by randomly absorbing a bunch of foods and congealing it. No need to think about it.

Base food: You haven't cooked it, not very appetizing but you find in the wild. It will sate your hunger but you body won't run well on it. You don't get your base amount of action points back. But hey you aren't hungry any more. You can however turn what you've found into crops, or in the case of bambi... animal husbandry. All farmed food is this until its properly prepared in some way. In a pinch it will help but if you can find enough of it, your better off just making tasty paste. If you have right tools... see below.

Prepared Food: Whether you cook it or mix it with other items, prepared food does better than Tasty Paste and far better than base food. You can't stock up on it as much but each recipe has its benefits that might add to a play style. Some speed up skill game, other increases damage output, or you recover your stamina faster. Its all different. To make prepared food, you follow a recipe or make your own and prepare it using the right tool or element.

Better farmers make better food with higher outputs when its prepared but its entirely optional. A person can just chose to eat tasty paste their entire life.

With higher skills however that can turn growing crops into pharmaceuticals or something, Genetic engineering attributes acquired from crops, researching and exploring into things can be turned into pills. The simple multivitamin then enhances prepared food outputs. Or you can get a skill enhancer with some serious drawbacks or withdrawals.

Hell a ship having a dedicated chef or even a few soldiers with cooking skills could up their efficiency and output. It would really push to multicrew setting.

Personally when I make my ship I'm going to want to include a biohab to grow stuff in.

I really like the idea, not only would it make the game more realistic and the experience more immersive but a whole part of the market could be based on agriculture, and entire planets could be used just for agriculture, which in my opinion would look cool and they would be interesting places to visit. Also, it would be awesome if we could genetically modify plants in DU, in order to make them yield better, bigger harvests, make them resist harsher climates (I hope weather and climate are also a feature included in DU) and other stuff.