Remove User Post Counts from the Off Topic Subforum

yamamushi

It's not about removing post counts altogether to me, it's about changing the Off Topic forum so that posts there don't add to your post count total. 

And if we're talking about "just about every forum", most game forums work in a similar fashion. They have off-topic boards and forum game boards that don't add to your post count total. 

Still the same question.  Do you really think that "fiddling" with the post counts - in any way - will actually stop spam and non-constructive arguments from happening?  If you think so, then why not just remove it - period- from ALL topics?  Then we would ALL be equal in that regard.  Fine by me either way.

But, I'm not sure that would help whatever problems you have with the post counts.  People are people.  I think they will spam and argue and give bad advice or misquote devs for many other reasons - be it ignorance, boredom, personal issues with other posters, etc.  What stats do we fiddle with to fix all of that?

But by doing so you would also take it away from the legit threads that are there to have an actual off topic purpose and not just to boost one's ego and postcount

How are you taking away from legit threads by removing the additions to post count in off topic? The meaningful threads will still be meaningful in OT and you dont need to add to your post count for those, but there is a huge problem with people boosting their post count with an OT forum. In OT you are not adding to anything that deals with the reason that we are all here.

Yeah i don't think the ability to see your own or someone else's Post Count needs to be removed.

The idea to me is that EVERYONE posting on the forums ALL THE TIME should be following the forums rules.  If someone really needs to play the forum game, the only way to increase their post count should be by actually contributing to the forums.

Here's the rules if people aren't familiar with them.  https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/8-forum-rules/

But if people really want to keep track of a number try keeping track of your Likes minus your Post Count.  Anything else is EZmode.

Still the same question.  Do you really think that "fiddling" with the post counts - in any way - will actually stop spam and non-constructive arguments from happening?  If you think so, then why not just remove it - period- from ALL topics?  Then we would ALL be equal in that regard.  Fine by me either way.

But, I'm not sure that would help whatever problems you have with the post counts.  People are people.  I think they will spam and argue and give bad advice or misquote devs for many other reasons - be it ignorance, boredom, personal issues with other posters, etc.  What stats do we fiddle with to fix all of that?

It's not like constructive arguements go anywhee to begin with. This thread is proof of that. Yama is talking about "bubble" threads, like "Last Post Wins" threads. Even I stay away from that thread, EVEN I. IIt should be a hint as of the problem with such post count bloating topics, as they serve no other purpose. One is closed, another pops up.

For some reason people like to inflate their post counts to feel better about themselves or something like that, but it is a thing in forums. When you remove the method of getting more post counts in a non-contributive manner, the people that start/post in the threads that are on the border of breaking the rules and spamming the forums thus making people (that actually contribute) want to leave a community goes down significantly.

Well, I still think that moderation is the only real solution to most of the issues brought up here.  So as I have nothing else constructive to add - lest I be accused of post count harvesting -  I'll leave it to you guys to sort out.   Good luck :P 

In the interest of providing some hard data to debate, I have looked through the "Last Post Wins" and "King of the Hill" threads (the only two threads I saw that looked like they might be considered spammy). I ignored people who had only posted once, and came up with a list of 23 people who "actively" participate in "spam" threads. This is not to call anyone out, just to provide some info to the discussion. Data was collected shortly before I posted this. Percentage is the percentage of the user's total posts that have been made in spam threads. (Total Posts / Posts in Spam Thread = %)

% of posts in Spam Threads                   Name                       Posts in Spam thread                    Total Posts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

81.6%                                            UnderhandedAerial                        40                                            49

66.6%                                            Mawbotch                                       6                                              9

30.7%                                            Hades                                             20                                            65

25.0%                                            Xeno                                               2                                              8

15.4%                                            CommanderLouiz                            4                                             26

15.3%                                            Lord_Void                                       42                                           273

14.2%                                            Trendane                                        2                                             14

12.5%                                            maximpact                                       2                                             16

12.1%                                            mrjacobean                                     14                                           116

10.0%                                            HUB Universal                                 2                                              20

6.3%                                            MrStarWars                                     9                                              141

5.9%                                            Lethys                                             36                                            604

5.8%                                            Kuritho                                            11                                            188

4.2%                                            Lights                                              9                                              213

3.5%                                            Kurock                                            8                                              229

3.1%                                            Anonymous                                     7                                              222

3.0%                                            Aetherios                                         22                                            724

2.0%                                            DaSchiz                                           8                                              393

1.3%                                            Atmosph3rik                                     2                                              149

1.2%                                            Cybrex                                             10                                            782

1.1%                                            Astrophil                                           5                                              436

.8%                                            Leonis                                              4                                              458

.6%                                            CaptainTwerkMotor                          19                                            2802

Average: 14%                Median: 5.9%

Total Spam Posts By 23 Users: 284

Average post per User: 12.3

Total Posts in Spam Threads: 306

23 Users represent 92.8% of Spam Posts

Total Posts in Community: 33447

Spam Posts make up 0.9% of Total Posts

I hope people find this data useful.

EDIT: Looks like the formatting got messed up a bit, but it's still readable so I'm not going to bother fixing it.

Wow first person to include themselves in negative statistics, good job void, love non hypocrites

Yeah, I mean any way you look at it I'm in there. By number of "spam" posts I'm number one, but I have so many other posts that I know that's not my legacy. I'm happy knowing that 84.7% of my posts are "non-spam".

I don't think putting people's name up in that post is a good idea Void... It's basically name and shaming... No good

It is not shaming, it is hard data that is relevant to this topic. I offered no opinions and only provided facts. It is all readily available data that anyone can access.

In the interest of providing some hard data to debate, I have looked through the "Last Post Wins" and "King of the Hill" threads (the only two threads I saw that looked like they might be considered spammy). I ignored people who had only posted once, and came up with a list of 23 people who "actively" participate in "spam" threads. This is not to call anyone out, just to provide some info to the discussion. Data was collected shortly before I posted this. Percentage is the percentage of the user's total posts that have been made in spam threads. (Total Posts / Posts in Spam Thread = %)

% of posts in Spam Threads                   Name                       Posts in Spam thread                    Total Posts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

81.6%                                            UnderhandedAerial                        40                                            49

66.6%                                            Mawbotch                                       6                                              9

30.7%                                            Hades                                             20                                            65

25.0%                                            Xeno                                               2                                              8

15.4%                                            CommanderLouiz                            4                                             26

15.3%                                            Lord_Void                                       42                                           273

14.2%                                            Trendane                                        2                                             14

12.5%                                            maximpact                                       2                                             16

12.1%                                            mrjacobean                                     14                                           116

10.0%                                            HUB Universal                                 2                                              20

6.3%                                            MrStarWars                                     9                                              141

5.9%                                            Lethys                                             36                                            604

5.8%                                            Kuritho                                            11                                            188

4.2%                                            Lights                                              9                                              213

3.5%                                            Kurock                                            8                                              229

3.1%                                            Anonymous                                     7                                              222

3.0%                                            Aetherios                                         22                                            724

2.0%                                            DaSchiz                                           8                                              393

1.3%                                            Atmosph3rik                                     2                                              149

1.2%                                            Cybrex                                             10                                            782

1.1%                                            Astrophil                                           5                                              436

.8%                                            Leonis                                              4                                              458

.6%                                            CaptainTwerkMotor                          19                                            2802

EDIT: Looks like the formatting got messed up a bit, but it's still readable so I'm not going to bother fixing it.

As Lights said, including yourself into statistics ... My respect belongs to you, Void :D

It's important to note, while I agree that posts in 'Off Topic' shouldn't be counted, just in case people do just start spamming, prevention is the best method afterall.

But, thanks to these lovely statistics we can see that only 0.9% of total posts are spam, if this were to bloat heavily, quickly, it would become an issue. 

More because it means that the forum is slowly being turned into mainly spam posts, but depending on the perpetrators, they could be using it to either look like a bigger community member or fuel some strange ego boost via post count. 

I don't know, sometimes it's just a thing that propagates, oddly. 

However! The notion that we have a like bar that gains likes as you do for quality posts is an idea that sounds good! The only issue with that currently is you can like your own posts, but I'm sure that's reasonably easy to resolve.

That's just my two cents though. 

Nice stats, by the way. 

I'm sure I'm going to get some flack for suggesting this, and the idea didn't completely come from me, but I think that the spammy threads taking over the Off Topic subforum only existing to boost post counts are somewhat inappropriate. Both an inappropriate use of the subforum and a somewhat exploitive way of artificially boosting post counts to try and add legitimacy to user profiles who otherwise aren't contributing in a constructive way elsewhere on the forums. 

However rather than amending the forum rules to simply ban those kinds of threads, I believe that posts in the Off Topic subforum should no longer count towards your overall post count. 

As someone pointed out on Discord, on other forums sections such as "Forum Games" and "Off Topic" don't count towards users total post counts. 

This would alleviate the issue of taking advantage of the Off Topic forum to artificially boost post counts.

I don't base legitimacy or merit on a users post count.

perhaps a system like the Frontier forums of elite dangerous where users can Rep another user? The more rep you have the higher green bars you have?

I don't base legitimacy or merit on a users post count.

perhaps a system like the Frontier forums of elite dangerous where users can Rep another user? The more rep you have the higher green bars you have?

Hiho OnePercent,

I think we already have the system you mentioned, here we can "Like" other people post to express our appreciation to the poster :D

But we don't have the green bars ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you have 1000 posts and 2 likes then I would think that would show negatively on you really.  I don't personally care about this at all. If people want to build a reputation here as being annoying posting worthless stuff then so be it.  Just like my post here ..   ;)