Hollow Tool

Ben Fargo

One feature I would like to have when building is a hollow tool.  The program I have been using to design concepts for my ship has this and I have found it very useful.

Basically, it removes all voxels from the interior of a shape, leaving the outside surface as an empty shell.  It does this even with complex shapes created by adding and subtracting simpler ones together.

This would be very useful in Dual Universe, since eliminating any unnecessary voxels would reduce the resource need to build a construct.

Not really what you're going for, but the devblog on Voxel Tools does show off some concepts that would be similar to a "hollowing tool":

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/02/20/builder-gameplay-voxel-tools-elements/

I think the key point is being able to not only use the voxel tools to place things of a certain shape, but also to remove them. That way we don't need a standalone "hollowing tool". 

A hollowing tool is more for convenience.  Rather than having to hollow a shape out by hand.  The issue I see with this is the size limitation: how big an area can we hollow out?  Too small and it loses its usefulness.  Too large might mean not enough inventory space for retrieved resources. YMMV.

Step 1 : Deploy a voxel box, 100x100x100 voxels in size.

Step 2 : use the Select Tool to select entire 100x100x100 voxel shape.

Step 3 : Reduce the Select tool by 1 voxel on each side of the voxel cube.

Step 4 : press Delete

Step 5 : ????

Step 6 : Hollowed out Voxel Cube.

For anything else you'll have to improvise. :P

Step 1 : Deploy a voxel box, 100x100x100 voxels in size.

Step 2 : use the Select Tool to select entire 100x100x100 voxel shape.

Step 3 : Reduce the Select tool by 1 voxel on each side of the voxel cube.

Step 4 : press Delete

Step 5 : ????

Step 6 : Hollowed out Voxel Cube.

For anything else you'll have to improvise. :P

Yeah i don't think he was talking about hallowing a square  :huh:

I really don't understand why you have to be reminded of this so often.  To the point that NQ has to step in and correct you.

But guess what.  You don't get to decide which feature requests are considered and which aren't.

You can disagree all you want.  But you don't get to say no.

Yeah i don't think he was talking about hallowing a square  :huh:

I really don't understand why you have to be reminded of this so often.  To the point that NQ has to step in and correct you.

But guess what.  You don't get to decide which feature requests are considered and which aren't.

You can disagree all you want.  But you don't get to say no.

Who said no? The Select Tool is there already - and so is the Delete button on your keyboard. Except if you are okay with Landmark's glitchy and clunky feature like "voxelomancy", but you have a problem with having to artefact by hollowing a voxel shape manually with the Select Tool (and pressing the dreaded Delete button). 

I know you are a die-hard COPS member (given you still have the signature banner) but dayum, no reason to be so biased mate Also, please cite links to where "NQ has corrected me all the time", I only count this happening once and it was on the subject of safezones, which incidentally, turned out to be a good thing, as the Devs showcased they had already thought of issues that may arise far down the game's roadmap (which put many people's worries at rest).

Cheers!

Right, I was not thinking of cubes.  I was for shapes like this:

i0M4gZv.png

That is just cones with the point cut off and another cone cutout to make a crescent.  It is a relatively simple shape, but still too complex to hollow as easily as a cube could be.

One way of avoiding the problem of hollowing out too much material would be to only apply the material to the shape after the cutting and hollowing was done to define it.  Then a person would never need to have all the resources to fill the interior of the shape.

Right, I was not thinking of cubes.  I was for shapes like this:

i0M4gZv.png

That is just cones with the point cut off and another cone cutout to make a crescent.  It is a relatively simple shape, but still too complex to hollow as easily as a cube could be.

One way of avoiding the problem of hollowing out too much material would be to only apply the material to the shape after the cutting and hollowing was done to define it.  Then a person would never need to have all the resources to fill the interior of the shape.

Oh good, this is what I meant by "improvise". Build a voxel cone, select cone of voxel, copy, shift to delete tool, lower deletetion conal shape one voxl down, press delete. That's the artefacting I am talking about and yes, by what the Devs showecased on their Voxel technology Dev Diary, you can choose the shape of a construct, then copy paste it, or even use it to make a "deletetion" shape oout of it. These cones-cutting is the shame trick I usd in Landmark (as well as many others did as well) when making gothic stairwells.

So yeah, you are covered, it's the Select Tool + Delete Button :P