VR Capabilities

Papa

Dual Universe seems to be coming to an Alpha release just as the Oculus, HTC Vive and similar Virtual Reality headsets are becoming more and more popular, so I'd like to discuss what that capability could mean for organizations and the individual in DU as far as exploration, building, combat, etc. and how one might gain advantages or come to a disadvantage over the course of the Alpha, Beta and obviously through the final release. For example, I think building, using the two handheld units that go along with the HTC Vive (given you're able to afford the 700$ price tag) could mean incredible things not only for the overall experience of building but the efficiency as well. Please leave a comment with what you look forward to doing in DU with whichever VR headset you choose to utilize in-game.

If you go back into the Dev blog (way back, one of the first posts) it was mentioned that the game was being designed with VR in mind (mainly a first-person-only perspective).

Although that design decision was clarified in several interviews with JC Baillie, that they were looking into ways to allow 3rd person perspective through the use of "drones" that follow players around. 

It's likely we won't see VR support in Alpha, but I'd like to be proven wrong on that. 

I think what is more important is how a first-person-only perspective is going to affect the way people play the game and how combat plays out in space. 

Oh that's right huh I guess it wouldn't be ready by alpha, that would be pretty dope though. If ever there was a game to play with a VR headset it'd be dual universe.

And hopefully when it is possible there's more accessibility for combat to make quick defensive/offensive moves. Can't wait dude.

Oh that's right huh I guess it wouldn't be ready by alpha, that would be pretty dope though. If ever there was a game to play with a VR headset it'd be dual universe.

And hopefully when it is possible there's more accessibility for combat to make quick defensive/offensive moves. Can't wait dude.

Hey welcome to the forums by the way, I just noticed you were new :-)