Mechs

Xetoxik

Constructs are not planned to have moving parts (beyond single element doors), at least not at release.  So you can have a mecha shaped ship, but no moving "limbs".

On my wishlist are rails for things like trains and elevators. And then Space Engineer (SE) like pistons and rotors.  Pistons and rotors should be enough to build a transforming ship.  Though whether it will happen is unknown. And if it does, I expect them to blow up less than the SE ones.

Still a good idea.  Keep them coming.

Edit:  Hinges could also work ;)

The game engine behind DU (Unigine2) suppots all sorts of rotors and / or other motor fuction parts for mechs.

However, said mechs would be, essentially, multiple constructs strung together. So you see the issue. The Devs need to lock down normal construct gameplay and functions, before moving into more elaborate things like mechs.

I'm on the same boat as you, but we got to be pragmatic at one point :P We can't ask the devs to put the cart before the horse :P. Although, I have no doubt mechs will come down the line.

This was somewhat addressed in the AMA thread from July, and is highly dependent on if/when they decide to implement "joint units":

Q&A 5: Tuesday 5th July 2016

Which features from Unigine's Physics Engine are being considered for use in DU? ( https://unigine.com/...satile-platform )
Will the game feature moving parts that allow us to connect multiple player built structures? like sliding rails, rotors, hinges, and everything that connects one voxel structure to another?

So far, we use Unigine's Physics Engine only for the collision system and the force/torque engine.
We are aware that  it can also offer various joints and motors but the dev team might develop this feature in a different way:
We have a plan to go with small size moving parts, but it's really far away in the roadmap. You would have "joint units" that can be use to connect them, and then script them (in LUA). Could be used to make a large door or... battlemechs? giant spider robots?

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/841-ask-us-anything-event/?p=7845