Questions about this game.

Dontclickme

I'm very interested in buying this game. But I've become suspicious of alpha games.

So id like to ask some questions before I buy it. (Back it).

1. Will there be npc's and will there be ai empires? Or is it all player created.

2. In another popular game called rust. You could build bases and things. But when you logged off anybody could attack them and also kill your player.

Will this game protect your bases while your offline or have methods to where you can have security to protect your bases. And will my character be safe while I'm offline? Will he still be visible to other players like in rust.

3. Is this a online only game? Is there any solo or offline play?

4. Is this subscription based and how much per month.

5. When you build a ship is it more like how mine craft builds you just place it and it's ready to roll or is it how space engineers builds and you literally have to build your ship?

6. How will engines work? Will I need engines in every direction to control movement like in space engineers?

Please if anybody can help me id much appriacate it. Also everybody have a great Christmas.

Cheers

-d0ntclickme

I'm very interested in buying this game. But I've become suspicious of alpha games.

So id like to ask some questions before I buy it. (Back it).

1. Will there be npc's and will there be ai empires? Or is it all player created.

2. In another popular game called rust. You could build bases and things. But when you logged off anybody could attack them and also kill your player.

Will this game protect your bases while your offline or have methods to where you can have security to protect your bases. And will my character be safe while I'm offline? Will he still be visible to other players like in rust.

5. When you build a ship is it more like how mine craft builds you just place it and it's ready to roll or is it how space engineers builds and you literally have to build your ship?

6. How will engines work? Will I need engines in every direction to control movement like in space engineers?

Please if anybody can help me id much appriacate it. Also everybody have a great Christmas.

Cheers

-d0ntclickme

Hi and welcome to the forums. I will do my best to answer your questions, but I also advise you to check out the FAQ thread and the dev videos if you get a chance, as they have a lot of great information.

1. There may be a few npc's, in the form of market bots, but outside of that there are no npc or ai empires out in the world. At least none planned at this stage.

2. This game will also allow base building and such. This game will allow people to attack your stuff while you are logged off (and while you are online as well) but there will be some ways that you can protect yourself from this. These methods include things like Territory Units and possibly some security systems, or you can build in the safe zones which provide a substantial amount of protection. While the exact nature of all these mechanics is still being hammered out, but it is pretty safe to say that there will be several methods for providing an adequate level of security for your stuff. As to your character, that is safe when you log off, as well as everything in your inventory.

3. This is an online only game. As a single shard MMO, all players will play in the same world on the same server. I do remember seeing something mentioned somewhere about a possible ship building simulator mode, which would allow you to practice building things in a sort of simulated place, separate from the regular game world, but I'm not sure that will make it into the final release.

4. It is subscription based and is planned to be about $15 per month. There is also a planned method by which players can pay for their subscription using in-game money, but you will have to look that up. Look at the threads about DACs or look at EVE Online's PLEX model.

5. Based on what we have seen so far, I'd say it is a mix of both with some elements being drop and go, and other requiring processing and building. 

6. While the exact specifics have yet to be fully announced, I believe they will work something like space engineers and you will have to place a proper number of thrusters in order to provide proper navigational ability. 

I hope this has helped you, and if you have any more questions, let me know.

Welcome to the forums and happy holidays.

I'm going to piggyback Lord_Void's answers and just add a few bits myself, his are fine on their own.

No regular NPCs like in WoW or something. PvE will be very restricted/nonexistent, especially in the early days. If you get the game at release, you along with everyone else will be dumped into the same empty planet full of grasslands, and can do as you please.

NQ have said they would like to put in alien fauna, so I guess PvE won't be completely nonexistent, but this may not be present at the immediate release and you shouldn't expect these to be anything but fairly easy to beat creatures.

2. Will this game protect your bases while your offline or have methods to where you can have security to protect your bases.

You'll need to add security to the base yourself. I should mention that I've never played Rust, so I don't really know how the playerbase acts (other than them being dicks to people all the time) but DU will be very heavily multiplayer focused. You will need to form groups, even if only small ones with friends, if you keep planetside holdings.

And will my character be safe while I'm offline? Will he still be visible to other players like in rust.

The player avatar will disappear after a few minutes. The constructs however remain, so the ship is still there. It can however be protected be either being in the Safe Zone, or simply with a protection bubble, and possibly also an invisibility cloak that you can power to make it disappear when offline.

Basically, you will persist for a little bit before disappearing but any ships or buildings won't disappear obviously.

Online only. A big draw of the game for people is its single shard universe, which will be made possible due to some very inventive and impressive server technology. If on release there are 50k people playing, you'll see all 50k at the start.

Yes. Unfortunately the server demands will be very strenuous and it's not possible to pay for it all using people buying a single copy of the game. NQ keep using the figure of somewhere between 10-13USD. There will also be an ingame item called DACs (Dual Access Coupons) that you will be able to exchange for a month's worth of playtime.

There's no predefined "this is a ship" object. The game doesn't even differentiate between buildings and ships - they are both constructs, one is simply able to move. Hence you can be as creative as you like with their design, but you will have to build everything and the more complicated bits will need LUA scripting.

But don't fret, you can still buy ships on the ingame market (from other players) if you find it too time consuming and just want to fly around.

At 7:50 in this video JC shows us "Adjustors", elements that are essential to give your ship steering capabilities. However, there are no engines at the front (not that he goes backwards) but how exactly flying works has not been heavily detailed.

You should watch that whole video though, and all the others, they'll give you a good insight into the game.

Welcome to the forums :-)

I'll try to answer your questions as briefly as possible, but bear in mind that they are only cursory answers as the topics could be covered more in depth and people could likely talk about them for hours just based on what we know so far.  

1.) No NPC's in the way you're used to. If there are, it's likely they will only be market NPC's (and my assumption is that they will be more like bots on the market rather than physical NPCs you interact with). Everything will be player operated, no NPC empires. If you see it, it was built by a player somewhere along the line.

2) No automatic offline protection unless you build it and provide upkeep for it. You can build in places where there is no PVP allowed but they will be few and far between. Think of them like "safe zones" that have to be discovered. Otherwise, mostly, you'll have to build defenses for your bases. Your characters will be safe as they will disappear when you log off. 

3) Online only. One single server. No instancing. One shared universe for all players.

4) Subscription yes, something like ~$15 a month, give or take (I'm sure this is likely to change so don't quote me on this). But if you buy a pledge you get several months (or years depending on the level of your pledge) of subscription time with it. You won't be backing at the gold level and expected to pay for a subscription on day one if that's a concern of yours because the subscription items (DAC's as they're referred to) come with the pledges. Another thing to note on this topic is that DAC's can be purchased from other players in-game, and they can be sold for in-game money as well. So you could, in theory, pay for your subscription using the money you make in-game without ever having to actually pay real money for one (outside of your pledge or whatever). Very similar to the way Eve Online works with PLEX, although there are some differences in the mechanics of DAC's that aren't worth bringing up here, suffice to say it led to a lot of debates this summer. 

5) More like space engineers. Check out these videos for an idea (although they don't cover the research/skills/materials/etc necessary, they do show an example of actually "building" a ship): 

6) Yes, you will need engines in specific places to control your ships adequately. Those systems aren't implemented fully in the videos above, but we've been told that where you place your engines will have an impact on how your ship actually flies. Also considering fuel weight, etc. This dev blog covers a lot of the topic, but it may be a lot to take in: https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

There's no predefined "this is a ship" object. The game doesn't even differentiate between buildings and ships - they are both constructs, one is simply able to move. Hence you can be as creative as you like with their design, but you will have to build everything and the more complicated bits will need LUA scripting.

But don't fret, you can still buy ships on the ingame market (from other players) if you find it too time consuming and just want to fly around.

At 7:50 in this video JC shows us "Adjustors", elements that are essential to give your ship steering capabilities. However, there are no engines at the front (not that he goes backwards) but how exactly flying works has not been heavily detailed.

You should watch that whole video though, and all the others, they'll give you a good insight into the game.

Not quite correct because their IS a difference between ships and buildings: the core unit. Either it's a moveable or a stationary so the game DOES know which one can move and which are supposed to just sit there