Have to get something off my chest.. NMS related

Volkier

Ok, I've seen a lot of people (not just in DU forums, but elsewhere too) go on about how NMS has affected the indie gaming industry, how it made it hard to back projects, how it's shattered people's faith, why games like DU are struggling with popularity, comparing NMS to every single game in development, inserting a "but NMS was so bad when it promised something" when talking about expected features etc. etc.  

I really have to get this off my chest, so vent incoming:

People need to get NMS.

I understand it was a huge disappointment, and a lot of people chose to ignore the red flags that were up right from the get go with it, because they were passionate about the genre and the potential of such a game. There's nothing wrong with that - people pay for hope and wishful thinking every time a lotto ticket is sold. But those red flags where there from pretty much the first announcement.

Again, there's nothing wrong with hoping something you love would succeed, and to an extent letting emotions override logic. But denouncing every other indie project and game because "look what happened to NMS" - is basically refusing to accept that you didn't want to accept it's failure. Or alternatively, refusing to learn about what to look for, and what should set off alarm bells in the future.

And no, I'm not being holier than though - I've screwed up in exact same way with other games in the past. I've backed a couple of 'kickstarters' at different times, that I was extremely passionate about, despite the obvious shortcomings with those projects, all because I really really hoped for a 'chance'. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with that - but either learn from your mistakes, accept that you were happy to pay $ for an off-chance the red flags were co-incidental and false, or simply grow up and accept you screwed up. And sure, if you feel like you no longer want to support games that are in development - there's nothing wrong with that.  But don't act like NMS's disappointment was a surprise that nobody saw coming, and that it represents all indie gaming developers. 

The red flags were there, plenty of people saw them, there's nothing wrong with paying for 'hope' and an 'off-chance', there's nothing wrong with not buying pre-alpha stuff, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out red flags or when something doesn't quite sound right with a healthy dose of factual skepticism. There is only positive outcomes in any conversation or discussion through that. But when it comes to saying "NMS did it, so everything else must be all lies" - NMS does not represent any other game, project, development team, game features or genre. Get over yourself.

Alright, I've said all I've needed to on the subject. Time to bring shields up to full power in anticipation for the incoming flak :P

Plus hello games never said NO, THIS WON'T BE IN NMS. THAT was the reason why people were hyped because they never told them what NMS will NOT be.

I agree that other games have nothing to do with what happened with NMS but I can understand people who got burned by it to not trust another indie company pulling something even bigger off. NQ have to go through this mess but imho they do a good job and tell people what this game WILL NOT BE like - that's the most important part

I understand on what happened to No Man's Sky players & i understand how it feel, because i also bought the game on Steam :)

Ofcourse it will leave some kind of 'Trauma' to people because the end result was very far from what we had expected, very different from the advertisement videos, it turns all the hype into hate.

But i think it's kinda wrong to express the hate everywhere outside the game, i understand that the NMS trauma is real but we don't need to blame another upcoming space game post-NMS accident.

It's wrong to give some kind of skepticism to another game just because on what happened on NMS.

As long the upcoming Space game itself was developed by another developer (i mean not developed by Hello Games), i think it's fine :D

Don't look another space game as NMS 2.0, to all mad ppl on internet : please move on ;)

How dare you insult NMS! It is such a great game, so much interaction with the world, and plenty of content to keep you playing for years! It is the back-bone for future games and it deserves the title! Those developers spent a long time to bring such a treat to the human kind! And you should all learn to be appreciative! "no mans lie"? more like "every mans dream"!

I personally did not buy No Man's Sky, but I think that everybody who did, was let down the most by the multiplayer (or lack thereof). People got so hyped on the fact that they could possibly play with their friends, or meet random strangers, or just interact with others. First off, they were at fault, because Sean did say that you would most likely never see someone else because the world was so huge. And that's their problem. But then the big kicker was when those two people were in the same place, and couldn't see each other. And that's where it fell apart, because he literally said you'd be able to play with others, however small the chance to meet them might be. That's where everybody jumped on the "Sean Murray is a liar about everything" train, and it all went downhill from there.

NMS had two problems. 1 was the people, over-hyping, and having unrealistic expectations. But that arose from problem 2, which was a lack of communication about what wouldn't be.

JC and the crew aren't afraid to tell us what won't be. They knew people would complain about not having CvC at launch, They knew it would create a negative image, but they told us anyways. No one will complain if CvC isn't what they thought, because they're waiting until they know they can deliver a good experience.

I think the idea that Dual might actually be everything that it claims to be kind of piss off people that bought into all off what No Mans Sky was supposed to be.

I remember reading about No Mans Sky and getting a bad feeling myself.  It was as if every person i heard talking about the game was describing a slightly different game. Basically because Hello Games was fine with just letting people believe the game would be whatever they wanted.  It was the game of people's dreams, literally.

There are going to be some people who want to see DUAL fail just so we are all as wrong about it, as they were about No Mans Sky.  Misery loves company.

Also DUAL will probably never be as popular as No Mans Sky was at it's peak, mainly because i just don't believe there are that many gamers that want to play the same type of game.  People have different tastes.

The only way that many people get on the same hype train is if a lot of them are confused.

That's why i'm so glad NQ has been so honest about what kind of game DUAL is, but also what it won't be.

There's such an insane demand for the next big space game right now.  People are hungry.  I don't even think Hello Games set out to run the scam of the century.  They just kind of stumbled into it because they were in a hurry to make some money.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm addicted to NMS.
One of the best single player games I've played in the last 25 years.
Gamers looking for difficult challenge or robust combat will be disappointed by NMS, sure.

If DU launches - I think the primary issue will be the tension between PvP combat aficionados and builders who abhor PvP combat.