Distances and Warp Drives

Starfleet_Ensign_Remy

1 minute ago, Vellnn said:

lolwutt

Yea, god forbid someone's buying this game based on things advertised on the store page, just to suddenly be faced with idiotic conditions that weren't mentioned before. So either you suck it up, or you don't get to do it.

11 minutes ago, Glowtape said:

Yea, god forbid someone's buying this game based on things advertised on the store page, just to suddenly be faced with idiotic conditions that weren't mentioned before. So either you suck it up, or you don't get to do it.

Not sure what you're talking about. They always said stargates will be the first major expansion after release, and they never confirmed interstellar travel will even be possible before then. Maybe you're confusing the "vision" with release 1.0 available features.

5 minutes ago, Glowtape said:

I sure could need some clarification about that stargate thing, because the impression I get is that you need to build and deploy two endpoints. Implying the need to get to the other end by ship first.

Ama:

Stargates will be part of a player-made network of nodes. A given node is able to let ships jump to any node that is within its maximal range, which depends on the level of the Stargate. Effectively, this draws a map to where you can go in the galaxy, but unlike most other games, the map is not static and not predefined. Players are creating the stargates, and players can also destroy stargates, nearly blocking routes or even isolating some part of the universe for some time in the process. Building a stargate will involve sending a proxy probe to the desired new stargate position. The probe will travel at FTL speed, but will still need weeks to reach distant destinations. Once deployed, the probe will allow for just one jump, that you can use to send the necessary material and personel to start building the effective Stargate and activate it.

So yeah, either fly there with your ftl drive or send a probe (which is way faster)

1 minute ago, Glowtape said:

I sure could need some clarification about that stargate thing, because the impression I get is that you need to build and deploy two endpoints. Implying the need to get to the other end by ship first.

It's not final yet, but NQ has mentioned some ideas like the ability to scan potential systems you want to go to, then send a probe to the system (just a logical game mechanic, not a physical probe) that would take some weeks to get there, and then let you jump a ship to the system a limited number of times, with materials to build a stargate there to connect the systems.