Distances and Warp Drives

Starfleet_Ensign_Remy

I don't know if this has been considered or not, but I was wondering what the distances between planets and moons would be.  Space Engineers' distances are unrealistically short, but it still takes awhile to get anywhere, even with a warp drive.  In DU, I hope there will be warp drives that can whip us from place to place.  At the same time, I was wondering how large the distance from world to world would be.  Would they be to scale? Or would they be shortened (such as in Space Engineers)?  How effective would the warp drives be?

I don't know if this has been considered or not, but I was wondering what the distances between planets and moons would be.  Space Engineers' distances are unrealistically short, but it still takes awhile to get anywhere, even with a warp drive.  In DU, I hope there will be warp drives that can whip us from place to place.  At the same time, I was wondering how large the distance from world to world would be.  Would they be to scale? Or would they be shortened (such as in Space Engineers)?  How effective would the warp drives be?

Can't find the quote from Nyzaltar (maybe someone more capable can):

Distances won't (obviously) be as vast as IRL, but the travel time will be considerable. You start with atmospheric thrusters and at some point get access to space drives - with those you can travel to other planets in your system which will take some minutes (moons) to hours (outer planets). At this point you COULD fly to another system but it would take months to years. 

Then there are warp drives with which you make the interplanetary trips in a matter of minutes. With those you can travel to other systems which will take you days to weeks (depending how far away those are).

In some later patch they will introduce probes and FTL (as stated in the lore: the tech is "some years" away). Those you can send to another planet in an instant, build a stargate there and jump to it.

Oh and btw: wormholes are NOT in release! MAYBE they will introduce anomalies like that at a later stage.

in Sub-light (That is without FTL / Warp ) the trip wil take quite a while (the word around the campfire is a week). But with Warp, it can be brought down to a significantly less amount of time (somewhere between half an hour and two hours).

This is a speculation and ideas provided by the devs, as they may not have come around that issue so far. 

However, the actual distances between planets and stars are actually astronomical, as the devs have said repetedly that the way they have set up two planets in proximity in the demo footage is intentional for those beauty shots and to prove you can move from one planet to another.

I also tried to find the AMA thread, but was not successful :P

I found the Kickastarter AMA posts in the forums, but I could not locate the quote as of this aspect, but yeah, FTL is gong to take some time (as it should) .

I don't know if this has been considered or not, but I was wondering what the distances between planets and moons would be. At the same time, I was wondering how large the distance from world to world would be.

Looks like the previous post already answered your question, but i would like to add a bit :)

About the "system to system" travel, the devs said that we need to build Stargate in order to travel between star systems.

But before you can build a Stargate, you need to send a Probe to outer space so you can get the exploration data from it.

And here is the interesting part: the Probe travel is not instant, you need to wait for weeks or months until the Probe reach its destination.

Just imagine how big the Universe :D

Looks like the previous post already answered your question, but i would like to add a bit :)

About the "system to system" travel, the devs said that we need to build Stargate in order to travel between star systems.

But before you can build a Stargate, you need to send a Probe to outer space so you can get the exploration data from it.

And here is the interesting part: the Probe travel is not instant, you need to wait for weeks or months until the Probe reach its destination.

Just imagine how big the Universe :D

As JC said in the DM21 interview on youtube, you technically can go to other systems iwth a warp drive, but it's gonna be a loooooooooooong drive.

The arguement can be made that the Devs may add Jump Drives, for FTL between star systems to reduce the travel time, but make them expensive, so Stargates can be used by people who want to keep costs low (aka, merchants), but that's a far way's off IMO, albeit would make sense, to have a jump drive that can home onto a probe you launched for "precision jumping", with a free Jump Drive, taking some long calculations to pull off, with the possibility of ending up in the wrong part of the star system you aim for.

Why would the Devs add Jump Drives (that are essentialy Super Warp Drives) ? Because STargates ca nbe locked down and denied as of use to blacklisted individuals, or even better, allowing access only to org / alliance members.

How will you get to the enemy, if you can't get past their gate after all? Probes can be destroyed, they are in-game Elements that fly through space and even if you get to the enemy's space, you need 48 hours to take out a place they fortified with a protection bubble, which means, the attacker loses by default.

So yeah, Jump Drives = the way to go :P

AMA (part 1) wrote:

How large will space be in the game/how quickly will you be able to travel? In real life, space is staggeringly large, and our ability to traverse it is limited. Even with light speed travel, interplanetary travel would still be slow(by video game standars considerably) and interstellar travel would still take years. How does interplanetary and interstellar travel in dual universe compare?

There will be several levels of scale in your capacity to move around: on the planets first, you can move by walking. You can then craft hovercrafts to move over a few kilometers. You may build then atmospheric ships for heavy duty planetary atmospheric travel. Then, you can start to look at building space faring ships. They will travel at normal speed first, allowing you to reach nearby moons in a few minutes, or other planets in the system in a few days (you can very well enjoy sharing a huge ship with friends, as it travels through space, and you go to whatever in-ship activity you like, for example building or trading). Then, either at release or perhaps in an expansion, we will introduce FTL drives. You will then be able to move between planets in a few minutes, and possibly reach new systems over several days. The final step will be stargates, that will come in an expansion, and that will allow near instant connections between systems. The size of the known/explored universe will then start to grow as players build more and more stargates. Stargates are going to be very expansive and complex to do, so don't expect a large network immediately. We will use this slow growth to introduce more variety in the discovered planets, as we have time/budget to further develop new biomes.

You can find it here: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10000-kickstarter-ama-event-first-part/

• 8 months later...
8 minutes ago, TheBuilder747 said:

so how are the stargates going to work? would it be profitable building a giant mobile stargate factory and charging for use of my network?

If Eve Online is anything to go by: Yes, extremely so. However since all space will be effectively no security space outside of claimed territory on planets, it would also have to be owned by a powerful corporation capable of keeping it secure. A factory on a planet next to a popular stargate makes the most sense currenty. This still requires lots of money to pay off territory bids or large corporation to keep it by force.

14 minutes ago, Primary said:

But star gates defy laws of physics more than a lot of other things that  DU is doing

one word: respawn...

it is literally stealing bodies from other timelines.

<Errant Thought>

Hey, we could have stargates act like massive warp accelerators. That goes along with the use of warp drives, right?

Hmm... We could have it so star gates can send you to another system in a very short amount of time, but it would be one way, requiring pairs to have a two way connection...

</Errant Thought>

• 1 month later...

Having warpgates would be handy fro travelings great distances, than again: 

its also would be a great 'pit-stop' to pick up goodies from strangers as a space-pirate......

I rather see a form of hyperspace-function on your ship, without having certain static warp-point on the map, to camp out by space-pirates

15 hours ago, Enjoyvirtuallife said:

I rather see a form of hyperspace-function on your ship, without having certain static warp-point on the map, to camp out by space-pirates

well that's exactly NOT what DU is aiming for. You have normal engines, FTL engines (way faster for interplanetary flights, but still need days to weeks to reach other systems) and warp gates for instant travel.

Problem with a "hyperspace drive" with no entry point: as you said, pirates won't be able to catch you - true. But it's also the other way around. YOU can't catch pirates/an invading force either....that'd just unbalance the game

3 minutes ago, Glowtape said:

Anyone who thinks they'll make you fly for days on end to reach another system, or even weeks, is deluding himself. That won't fly (lol) with anyone gameplay-wise.

Yeah that won't be the fastest way to do it, just the optional poor-man's way of doing it.

7 minutes ago, Glowtape said:

Anyone who thinks they'll make you fly for days on end to reach another system, or even weeks, is deluding himself. That won't fly (lol) with anyone gameplay-wise.

Travel will only take such long times until jumpgates are in place.  This adds the ability for an org that specializes in logistics to send travelers to further systems and set up gates, and then be able to charge for the use of the gates.  This seems like an important aspect of the economy to me, and I would be surprised if NQ decided to remove it.

Edited by Felonu
Typo

No, that's just rose-tinted wishy-washy high brow game concept stuff, that'll never end up happening. Realistically, any interstellar travel penalties in form of time will happen during the building stage of the spaceship involved in it all (i.e. making it hard to build). Making a bunch of players sit on their asses for two weeks on a spaceship is a dumb as hell move for any game company that advocates fun.

I mean, most people who play EVE are masochists, and even they want to slit their wrists doing cross-galaxy travel. And that just takes a fraction of a day.

1 hour ago, Glowtape said:

Some players in the community have already said they want their gameplay to be like this. imo you should be able to spend days flying through space to get to a far off planet, but that doesn't mean everyone's going to do it. Most people won't do it unless there's a good reason to.

You can't make up other people's minds for them. If that type of game play isn't fun for you, don't do it. But you can't tell people what is or isn't fun to them.

And if there's a super ultra-rare ore that you need for crafting and it's only in the Korpadorp galaxy that's 5000000 SU away, then pay someone to go get it for you, because someone is going to be willing to go get it.

I did mention these rose-tinted glasses, right? Some people have romanticized views about how certain things are supposed to go or be, regardless of the subject. Eventually reality sets in and they go "well shit".

If the universe is fully procedural and quasi infinite, I mean sure, have a go at a month long space travel, going for that really far off planet, for the sake of breaking some suspect record or roleplaying some weird fantasy.  If not, people should stop advocating that this idea supposing to become a general rule is actually good, because it is definitely not.

But anyway, last I remember, JC mentioned in one of the Youtube videos that the in-game universe is going to expand gradually.

3 minutes ago, Glowtape said:

I did mention these rose-tinted glasses, right? Some people have romanticized views about how certain things are supposed to go or be, regardless of the subject. Eventually reality sets in and they go "well shit".

If the universe is fully procedural and quasi infinite, I mean sure, have a go at a month long space travel, going for that really far off planet, for the sake of breaking some suspect record or roleplaying some weird fantasy.  If not, people should stop advocating that this idea supposing to become a general rule is actually good, because it is definitely not.

Well once stargates are introduced you (as you're obviously uninterested in long travels) you can either stay in the starting system with some 15+ planets or build a stargate to reach another system.

Reaching another star should be hard AF and either you invest time by flying there for days (advantage: no one knows you're going there) or you build an insanely expensive stargate with your org (advantage: you're instantly there and can charge others for using it).

The starting system is INSANELY huge, alioth alone has 50.000+ tiles. If the other planets are similar, then there is enough space to explore and buildI on.....not to mention asteroids and moons