Alpha to beta + beta to release

esoop12

NovaQuark (the game developers) have said that everything in Dual Universe will be erased at least at the conclusions of the alpha and beta phases. However, I believe that players will be able to keep any constructs in the form of blueprints, which they can then build in later stages of the game. So nothing physical within the game world will be kept.

The lore behind it is that all of the survivors from earth's destruction are in ships heading out into the galaxy to begin a new civilization. During the journey, select people (alpha and beta players) will be entering a virtual reality environment (alpha and beta phases) to test their skills and abilities in a simulation of the real world, to get them ready for the real thing (the game's release). Thus, by the lore, alpha and beta will not actually "happen", and only digital things (blueprints) will remain after the conclusion of the alpha and beta.

I cannot quote the specific reference where the developers state that the world will be wiped after (and possibly during, can't remember for sure) the alpha and beta, perhaps someone else can find that. As for the lore, that's in the Lore Bible here on the forums in the Novark Archives section.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Does anyone know if the world will restart between phases or if people who bought the alpha will have an advantage?

Yes, the devs will wipe their server right before the official release so everyone will start from zero.

I think the advantage that you get from Alpha or Beta access is you can keep the construct blueprint that you get by your own hardwork in game (your blueprint will be kept even after the server wipe) ;)

I cannot quote the specific reference where the developers state that the world will be wiped after (and possibly during, can't remember for sure) the alpha and beta, perhaps someone else can find that.

If i remember correctly, the devs talk about server wipe in Kickstarter Ask Me Anything video on Dual Universe youtube channel :D

• 1 month later...

there are always restarts in Alphas and betas, they are needed due to changes, some of which could be huge. also it wouldnt be fair on players who did not get alpha or beta access to join the universe and the testers are already geared up and own land etc so i would assume a fresh start on release as well. 

there are always restarts in Alphas and betas, they are needed due to changes, some of which could be huge. also it wouldnt be fair on players who did not get alpha or beta access to join the universe and the testers are already geared up and own land etc so i would assume a fresh start on release as well.

No need to assume a wipe before release - that's just the way it is. No wipe would just kill every game

No need to assume a wipe before release - that's just the way it is. No wipe would just kill every game

plus, the lore explanation is that the Alpha test is just a VR simulation, so, the only possible thing out of Alpha or Beta, would be blueprints for constructs people made - which funny enough ,they won't be able to build said blueprints until they got the skills required or the playerbase is up to parr with the skills required, so it's a win win. :P

I hope the wipe includes shuffling the resources around. Stop resource maps being made before release.

That would definitely be important, but chances are well for NQ to also add or change feature in their generation system or even change the entire seed so we may get a completely new planet compared to Alpha / Beta. That would include different resource locations. 

I hope the wipe includes shuffling the resources around. Stop resource maps being made before release.

Because mapping a 125000 km surface area, on one planet, is gonna be a piece of cake O_o ??? Or the other ten or twenty planets on the starting system? :P

called storing coords and areas instead of mapping the whole thing. You don't need it all only parts of it :P

Hi, procedural generation called, it said "good luck".

The moment those servers go out from Beta and boot up for launch? Alioth will be a brand new, procedurally generated planet that your coords do not play a role. 

The only thing that will be the same is the Arkship. Alioth, or any other planet, is not predefined.

But go ahead, do follow your folly of a dream, don't let me stop you.

Hi, procedural generation called, it said "good luck".

The moment those servers go out from Beta and boot up for launch? Alioth will be a brand new, procedurally generated planet that your coords do not play a role. 

The only thing that will be the same is the Arkship. Alioth, or any other planet, is not predefined.

But go ahead, do follow your folly of a dream, don't let me stop you.

from what i glanced at they were talking about what if the generation didn't change

from what i glanced at they were talking about what if the generation didn't change

Well, that would be a big oversight then - and I don't think they oversought that part. The procedural generation will probably take care of Beta-mapping of the planet.

Although certain patterns may be deduced, i.e. mountain range of X radius == deposit of minerals. But not actual maps really.