When will the game get more popular?

Ardour

It seems as if the game is pretty popular currently, but many don't know about it.

Any thoughts on when you think more people will know about it and it will be more active. As it gets closer to game release I believe it should be advertised more.

At E3 2016 when they put out the trailer, I'm sure lots of people were skeptical. Short trailer of a game in pre-alpha by an indie dev team... Everyone's seen that before. Most immediately threw caution tape all over that. The thing was that there was barely anything out there at that time for Dual Universe. Not much info and barely any videos on it.

Next E3 (2017), if NQ puts out another video, it will be a different story. There will be so much more for them to show, and people searching for DU online after they see the video will find a plethora of info and videos, and hopefully lots of alpha gameplay.

I think the alpha will bring in new people but I think an E3 demo (perhaps even live with whoever is playing the alpha at that time) combined with the amount of content there will be on the game by then will really start to bring people in.

There could be many reasons and ways to popularize the game.

It is definitely too early now. Yes, it is cool to have early donations/sales (but actually Devs will get it anyway if the player will be interested), but a promoting game with very raw picture and optimization could be a big mistake. Potential players could get a negative attitude, but change negative to positive much harder than introduce and make some love to a new product. Also any promoting cost the money. Pay for promoting on early stage and have more risks?

If you try to warm up the community and keep potential customers excited, you need inform them very often and very well. DU in the early design stage, nothing major to show as an advertisement (people like nice picture - cover).

So I would say (guess), promoting/advertisement stage would be active in the middle/end of Beta. More beautiful pictures/movies, reviews, optimization, real information about the game and other. And time to release would be close, so potential customers won't cool down their interest.

This is opinion only.

Thanks,

Archonious

There is little point in asking that now. A person brought out a very exceptional point to me.

People are interested in the game due to a key number of aspects. You can categorize their interests and figure out which groups will be dedicated. Allow me to point these groups out.

Group A(Let's call them the "Interested Hobby" Group.)

Group Interested Hobby is interested in this fine game because it's simply something interesting. They may play Minecraft or Space Engineers and want to take a loot, due to it aligning with what they like in video games. So they'll likely join DU for a little while and pick some things up. Maybe serve to make a little bit of progress but more likely than not, they will eventually quit. 

This is because they don't align with the demographic of what DU is expected to be. People who are willing to dive into the game head first, spend a fair amount of time investing into it, and then create a slot in the game. Some might stay because they have found a new interest, however those banking on an old one will likely leave in time.

Group B(Let's call them the "Buyers" Group)

So the Buyers group is likely to buy a DAC, play the game for a little while, and then quit. These people could be the ones you see on Steam going through and buying something, only to play it once and never see it again. These could also very well be the people who play with the free two weeks or the limited skill tree(I think they went for the two week trial), and then just simply don't get any further. 

Group C(Let's call them the "Player" Group)

Now the player group will likely comprise of the actual players. For instance, people who are active on the forums and community now. These will probably comprise of the people actually in the game so I expect them to be somewhat noteworthy. They might make footholds for themselves. Maybe create a movement. These are the people who you should expect to see upon arrival into the game and who you want to make good friends with. At least not turn them against you.

The community is somewhat interesting already, as we have entered into a section where rivalries, attacks, alliances, trusts, and so forth are already being formed. One of the reasons why you don't want to tick people off to say the least. 

That's just an oversimplification of the groups you might expect to see in game. After all, we are just in Pre-Alpha with none of us actually being able to play even a close to completed product. A lot of work will go into it and we can expect the devs to feature more for us once we get closer.

Next E3 (2017), if NQ puts out another video, it will be a different story. There will be so much more for them to show, and people searching for DU online after they see the video will find a plethora of info and videos, and hopefully lots of alpha gameplay.

|

Pretty much agree with this one, the next E3 will be a good Step for Dual Universe to be more popular because at that time i'm sure this game will have more content than DU in previous E3 :)

Although on the next E3 DU "may be" still in Alpha phase, but hey ,,, content is content and everyone love it ! :D

As it gets closer to game release I believe it should be advertised more.

Other than advertisement, i think we should concern about the content first ;)

In my opinion, as long the game doesn't have good content, it will hard to be popular, doesn't matter on how much you advertise it. If the game have good content, people will come automatically :D

So don't worry, let DU build that good content first, advertisement can be done after that :)

And looks like Dual Universe also coming into Steam, based on their Kickstarter Q&A

If product even in alpha speaks for itself we going to see people flock in here. I'm confident about that for one reason. This very game will be a break trough in MMO voxel based category. You may see more games like this in the future with different flavor, theme but as always the first will be remembered as a classic. Sure, many of player will get filtered out of this, but Sci-Fi space genre lovers will stay for as long as this game provides entertainment. So far nobody else on horizon to come even close to this promise.

Mmtheboss. Just wanna poi t out, not being mean. Just thought of this and thought even you would enjoy the humor in it. "Dual secure" recruiting officers today,running out of grunts since yesterday. Hehe no harm just thought it was funny :) :/

Maybe I'm old school but the game will get popular and build a larger playerbase when there is a game to play. Look at what happened to No Man's Sky. I wouldn't want for things to spin out of control and die in a fire like it did there. For now let the game be built and then let the game draw the crowd. 

When comes to NMS I wasn't delusional, from the very start I knew what is going to be about. I was surprised by only one thing. That people got to the hype so much that created their own theories and the biggest failure of all... company didn't deny it but semi confirmed it to keep the hype going. I said that many months ago and didn't get a copy at all. 

So, I'm happy to see NQ saying it at every occasion what the game is gonna be, and what is NOT. Both aspects are important. Bigger the hype, bigger disappointment factor and impact if developed legends during a process will take place. 

If NMS would be advertised as "the game of the lonely wanderer in proceduraly generated world" we would not have either a hype nor so much hate about it and I'm sure you will find people who actually like it like that :)

I think once people are actually playing and generating content to look at rather than a few example ships and a fake ass looking city it will get more traction.

I see this as a bit of a slow burner like minecraft was, I remember minecraft back in 2009 when it was still this niche crazy idea with hardly anything just infinite blocks and a few simple game mechanics and I instantly knew it was revolutionary. Back then the community was maybe a few hundred people, it took like 3 years before it really broke the mainstream and then practically every 10 year old kid was wearing a minecraft t-shirt in 2015. Its like the ultimate viral marketing, your players are so proud of their own game creations they go on to evangelize to potential new players.

I doubt DU will ever be as popular as MC but I think it has some obvious similarities, its all about creating the platform that players need to create great things, those great things then get talked about on blogs and youtube which then in turns brings more people into the fold and you get this snowball effect.

Of course there are a lot of risks that could go wrong, having it be a multiplayer only game and subscription based makes it have higher barrier to entry but NQ does have the advantage of being a larger dedicated team than Mojang was for its early history. 

My main concern is that NQ will run out of money before they implement enough features to draw people in

Once Alpha is out, and a few people start uploading stuff on YouTube, I bet this game will become very popular very fast. All in due time :)

My thoughts exactly. Once Alpha is out and more game footage starts being published people will start to gain interest in the game. Right now without a playable version available, it's hard to gain interests from people especially when we live in an instant-satisfaction world. 

It's going to grow slowly in my opinion, and much of the success of the game depends entirely on us talking about it and getting more people to play it. 

Of course, NovaQuark wants a million+ subscribers, but I imagine the game releasing to 30-50k people at most. That's not a bad thing, and it's of no fault of Novaquarks, it's just because of the way the market is saturated right now.

It also doesn't help that there is a large amount of pessimism among the MMO-gamer community (just read any thread on /r/mmorpg on reddit about Dual Universe and you'll see). Dual Universe is promising a lot of things, and it's up NQ to deliver on them (at the very least, the core promise of being able to support thousands of players in the same region). Once it's proven that those capabilities are real, mostly by players publishing videos showing off the features, more people will start to join.

There's always going to be a largely vocal contigent of people who are against subscription based games, we just have to prove to everyone else that the subscription is worth it. 

tl;dr - The game's popularity will depend mostly on us, the players. 

Alpha launch is needed to get more attention from the gaming population, until then, doubt a bit.

Monthly communication is quite appreciable as long as it shows real progress in game development.

Backers have their "job" to do as well, sharing contents on social medias, on gaming websites and so on